Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

7mg Xanax. Am I screwed?

[31...]

So I started using Xanax after my son was born in 2021. I hate the way Xanax makes me feel. Same with Alcohol.  I started using just for sleep.5-1mg. Before I knew it after a year I was still taking Xanax.  I was up to 2-3mg.  Fast forward my depression really kicked in last year 2023 and by the fall I was up to 7m.  2mg in the morning to sleep longer. 2 mg in the afternoon to take a nap. And 3mg before bed. The lockdown took away anything I enjoyed in life.  I travel a ton by airplane, not nervous, just want to sleep to pass the time.  I still don’t enjoy the way it feels.  I just wanted to sleep my life away.  So I’ve been using 7mg since last October.  I’ve never had anxiety.  I’m terrified to pay this debt.  Because now my life is so much better and worked on myself for so long I’m tired of the garbage.  Everything is bland.  No motivation, no sex drive, just existing.  Can anyone help me to start getting off this crap?  So 3years use from .5mg to 7mg.  I’m 45 and other wise good health. I refuse rehab because I know what they will do.  Any help would be great.  And yes I know 7mg is crazy. I’d buy the extra from a friend that doesn’t use his any more.  Please help 

• Like 1

Hi, @[31...]! Welcome to BenzoBuddies! I'm personally not much familiar with xanax but there are lots of members who are and, i'm sure, will help you.

Really sorry for the state you're in. Can relate to the benzo induced kind of depression to the full. It should go when you're off the drug, mine did. But the process of coming off benzo might be hard and takes time. I think it's very wise of you to seek help in quitting the nasty pills here among lots of experts not by education but our own sad experience. Good luck to you!

• Like 2

[vo...]

@[31...]Hi Matt - I can relate to what you're going through. I was on xanax for 40 years, 6mg. I traveled excessively for work too, for years. I slept a lot too. Basically, slept my life away. I have a lot of past regrets all  because of xanax. I didn't see that then - but I've been off xanax for 12 months now and see how I wasted my life all because of that damn drug. I'm living now, but with akathaisa and severe PTW. I'd rather be dealing with this than the way of life I had before - that wasn't actually "living". I lost a lot of relationships because of that drug. I have some of the relationships back now, two very close friends. But not two important relationships...two of my adult children. Complicated story though. Dealing with the anxiety, depression and bi-polar with no drugs now. It is a struggle but I'm determined to get through it. Does this help you to relate?

[vo...]

I said PTW but meant protracted withdrawal. All the classic as well as the unusual symptoms.

[Js...]

@[31...] I don't think 7mg is crazy, especially if it's a gradual increase from 2021. I do think if you do not taper and simply quit cold turkey, it will be very unpleasant.

I recommend creating a thread below

https://benzobuddies.org/forum/120-benzodiazepine-taper-strategies-planning/

More than likely a 10% reduction taper will be ideal, but someone more versed can help you create a taper strategy. Below is the ashton manual, which has been a great read for me.

https://www.benzo.org.uk/manual/bzcha03.htm

Good luck

• Love 1

• 3 weeks later...
[31...]

Definitely agree. It’s like I had nothing to look forward to. I accomplished all my goals in life. Learned to fly and airplane, scuba diving, snow skiing and traveling to 65 countries. Now I feel like a zombie.  Everything is hard. I just want to sleep so I don’t have to deal with this life.  How long did you get off of 6mg?  Or how is your taper.  The one thing I’m luck with, is I don’t have anxiety.  So I’m not expecting a rebound.  My life is just in panic because what if I get cut off. Any advice would help 

[He...]

Hey Matt. We’re the same age and have the same favorite band. 

I was on 4mg for about seven years. 

find a psychiatrist  who will help you taper over a year or two switch over to clonopin and go from there. 

it’s going to take a long time. That’s just how it is. Don’t let any of them talk you into any outpatient ct or rapid taper bs. You’ll end up on seven more drugs and  damaged brain.