Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Cataract Surgery

[Pa...]

I will be going for cataract surgery soon. Does anyone know what eye drops to ask for? And what was your experience like. Thanks 

• 3 weeks later...
[Pa...]

Ugh, it looks like you're right to be concerned, I hadn't thought about the eyedrops.  The trouble is, you need them for this, they're a critical part of the process so it may be you'll have to take what they give you and hope for the best.

What has your experience been with other medications, have you had problems? 

Types of Eye Drops Used in Pre and Post Cataract Surgery

Types of Eye Drops Pre-Surgery Post-Surgery
Antibiotic Drops Yes Yes
Steroid Drops Yes Yes
Non-Steroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drops No Yes
Artificial Tear Drops No Yes

[Le...]

dont worry too much. I used all those things but for another reason. my facial spasms and whatever benzo nonsense caused so much cranial nerve irritation that my eyes went completely dry and I developed conj cysts. Between attempts to help before and excising the cysts I have used all those products for quite long periods. I noticed nothing. 
Dont get me wrong. topical things do enter your body. only your doc would suggest otherwise but likely not enough to cause problems. 

get those cataracts sorted out. 

• Like 1

[Ro...]

I recently had cataract surgery on both my left and right eyes.  Pre-surgery, I was given dilating drops and post-surgery, I was given a special combination drop with antibiotic and steroid.

None of the drops gave me any problems, and I'm 8 months post-jump.  Cipro antibiotic drops are sometimes given to patients after cataract surgery.  One of the BB members asked a doctor if Cipro would be problematic in the eyes, and the doctor explained that the drop would be local to the eyes and not systemic.  If you wanted to be extra cautious, you could always inform the surgeon that you do not want to use Cipro.  Good luck to you.