Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Is the Ashton Method Too Fast?

[mo...]

I have been using the Ashton Method to taper since March. I had been using 1.5-2mgs Xanax daily for 4 years. I switched to 30mgs Valium and am currently at 13mgs. So far, I have no disruptive side effects other than increased anxiety.

I have so much anticipatory fear and anxiety about withdrawals that it’s almost become an obsession. And even though I don’t have wd symptoms, this process has seemed so quick! I don’t want to look back later and regret going too fast while it was still easy.

Do most people just continue the Ashton taper until they have wd symptoms and then slow down? Should I take a pause at 10mgs and focus on working out and getting healthier to heal my brain before moving into the harder stages? Or am I just drawing it out unnecessarily?

I quit my job two weeks ago and became a full time caretaker of my terminally ill mother with ALS. It’s extremely stressful, traumatic and devastating. I recognize I’m spiraling into fear. I just don’t know what’s right and NEED this taper/withdrawal this process to be  as gentle as possible. 

Thank you in advance for advice and support.

[Cr...]

How long are you holding between cuts? Slowing down will be a personal decision that you will have to make. Keep in mind that you could be one of the lucky people that does not get harsh withdrawal symptoms as you are close to coming off. If you do start getting symptoms then either start holding for longer, doing smaller cuts, or both.

[Pa...]

I agree with @[Cr...], if you haven't been dealing with harsh symptoms, you may be one of the lucky ones.  I don't see any value in holding at 10 mgs if you're not suffering, but if things change, then you can slow down. 

Many have commented about Professor Ashtons schedule, they felt its too fast, this is why we encourage tapering according to your symptoms.  If you keep good records of your reductions and symptom severity, you can use those to determine how much and when to reduce again.

You're a good person to agree to care for your mother, I'm sure you know that stress can bring on symptoms, so I hope you can care for her without putting too much pressure on yourself.

[mo...]
18 hours ago, [[C...] said:

How long are you holding between cuts?

I’m following the Ashton method exactly so far and cutting 2mgs every two weeks. When I get to 10mgs shortly, I’ll start cutting 1mg every two weeks.

I’d love to believe I’ll have minimal side effects. The anticipatory fear is making me suffer more than anything, it’s really unfortunate. But I started this med for an extreme anxiety disorder, so it only makes sense I’m having more anxiety as time goes on.

Thank you for your advice!

[mo...]
17 hours ago, [[P...] said:

I don't see any value in holding at 10 mgs if you're not suffering

I guess I just read so many people saying they believe their brains heal as they go through their taper. I wasn’t sure if it’s worthwhile to allow for more of that “brain healing” before the suffering begins. But I can also see how that could easily be a waste of time.

Thank you so much for your support, advice and condolences. As with so many others, this is a very hard time in life and it’s really nice to have a support system through this ongoing fear.

[Pa...]

I absolutely believe healing takes place as we withdraw the drug, but people slow down not to allow for that healing but because the symptoms are too severe to continue, they are forced to slow down.  If you're feeling fairly good, I'd keep pushing forward but I like the idea of you slowing down to 1 mg per reduction when you get to 10 mgs. 

Fear is a withdrawal symptom along with anxiety but its not normal fear or anxiety, its both on steroids so you may be dealing with these already.  I never had anxiety until I started on benzodiazepines, but now I have empathy for those who deal with it on a daily basis.