Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Social anxiety (3+ weeks off)

[in...]

Social anxiety is flaring up like crazy!! This is the scariest thing that happened to me since I started tapering! I'm having a hard time hanging out with my best friends!

So I started at 1mg/day (for a long time).

Tapered down to zero and now I'm 23 days out!

I'll start sweating and stuttering. I can't look people in the eye. I feel restless all the time! I can't recognize myself!

What should I do?!

• Like 1

[Go...]
17 minutes ago, [[i...] said:

Social anxiety is flaring up like crazy!! This is the scariest thing that happened to me since I started tapering! I'm having a hard time hanging out with my best friends!

I'll start sweating and stuttering. I can't look people in the eye. I feel restless all the time! I can't recognize myself!

What should I do?!

This is just a wave.  It will pass!  Don’t provoke yourself into a panic.  Take your time and let yourself rest.  If they are your best friends - they can wait a week or so to see you and they will understand 💙

It takes us time to heal.  It will be okay. This is normal and will pass:  just wait. 

• Like 1

[kn...]

I truly believe that that all of us emit and receive energy transfers from others. This may sound like woo-woo, but quantum physics and sting theory actually bear it out. Our physical and emotional selves have been badly compromised by everything we’ve been through. I personally can’t walk through large crowds at a theatre or airport without becoming exhausted. The dynamics of their activity and conversations simply does me in. Seriously consider limiting your social exposure as you gradually work your way back into things. I have to often leave early from things. No one who is really a friend should throw shame on you for this. 

• 2 months later...
On 01/07/2024 at 08:03, [[i...] said:

What should I do?!

How is this for you now?

@[in...],

What you are feeling is very ‘normal’ for withdrawal, especially this early in recovery. My gosh, I was queen of cancellations for a long time. I wanted to do things, make it to appointments, see friends, but it was not possible for me that early in the process. For me, socializing returned slowly. You can only push yourself so much. With time, as your cns finds balance, your world will open up and grow larger. Be kind to yourself right now, it will,pay dividends as you heal!

• Like 4

13 hours ago, [[i...] said:

It's the same. Hasn't changed a bit yet!

Sorry to hear that. It hasn’t been long since you posted this. Were you like this before benzos?

3 hours ago, [[T...] said:

Sorry to hear that. It hasn’t been long since you posted this. Were you like this before benzos?

No. I mean I don't think so..  I would remember that... I'm going with "no" 😂

5 hours ago, [[i...] said:

No. I mean I don't think so..  I would remember that... I'm going with "no" 😂

Haha I get the same way. Can’t quite tell if I’ve always been like this or not. It’s the benzos that does that. I was never this bad either. Maybe a little anxious on occasion but never this much and definitely not all the time with everyone.

• Like 1