Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Third time around with Benzos withdrawals

This is my third time going through withdrawals in 12 years with benzos since my doctor first prescribed it for me, then stopped then put me on it off and on it has totally messed up my life, last year I was diagnosed with ventricular tachycardia in which I went into strange seizures plus heart palpitations, was rushed into hospital on 4 occasions in March they did a SVT in which I had to stop all meds, which after I went into withdrawal, it was like nothing I had experienced, not meaning to scare anyone, I was taken to hospital where they put me back on benzos to stop the symptoms, and got a months supply I have tried to taper down 15mg to 1/3 mg In a week and now the palpitations are kicking in along with the tremors, and headache I don't want to keep ending up in this Cycle this is the most hideous drug to have ever been invented,trying to help myself with CBD this time but it helps to think thier are others that have gone through this, And are going through this I will post to keep you updated its day 3 so far 

• Like 1

[Cr...]

Hello @[...], welcome to BenzoBuddies. I am glad you found this site. Seems like you could really use a support system to help you get through this mess.

What benzo are you currently on? I am assuming Valium since you mentioned tapering from 15mgs to 1/3 mg in a week. Although I have seen cases where members were on very high doses of the more potent benzos as well.

We generally recommend tapering using rates laid out in the Ashton Manual with variations depending on the person and situation. The typical rate is 5 to 10% cut every 1 to 2 weeks.

When you said 15mg to 1/3mg in a week, do you mean you tapered down to 1/3 of your original dose (5mg) or literally 1/3 of a mg (.33 mg)?

You said it is currently day 3, so I assume that means you are currently at this low dose as well.

I don't have a thorough picture of your situation, but with your history of heart-related issues as well as seizures I think it would be much wiser and safer to taper a lot slower than what you have been doing. You really should consider going back to your original dose (15 mgs) and doing something like 1mg every 1 to 2 weeks until 10mgs then make % based cuts.

With Valium's long half-life, people often don't feel the full effect of their cuts until a week or two later. You are only on day 3. Are your doctors aware of the cuts you are making?

[fa...]

These drugs should never been legal. They might calm your anxiety for a couple months but they destroy your physical health.  I hope for my OG anxiety back. That was nothing. 

• Love 2

thanks for the reply Crono Yes D / valium, As a long time user I was  on 60mg a day in 2022 a year and managed to taper with support over a year's period to October 2023 that's where I got stuck at about 30mg since then the doctor wouldn't help and I had no choice but buy it of friends managed to get to 20mg my mother got unwell and reliant on me and my dose went up, unfortunately my ex husband left me right in the middle of a shit show after my step-dad had just passed away and mum was in mourning, I got really sick and was taken to hospital where they prescribed D/ valium again my mum passed in may 2023 that's when I ended up in hospital with Ventricular tachycardia I thought it was shock but no it happened 3 more times over the following months and that is when I knew I had to get off this medication, with support I was tapering then my doctor just wouldn't prescribe which is understandable after she found out I brought them, when I had to have the procedure done I came off valium and propranolol so that kickstarted withdrawal symptoms badly 2 weeks ending in d seizures ,I was rushed into hospital and They gave me D/Valium to stop them in the last month I have been on 15 mg up until last week when I was told I wouldn't be able to get them even thou I am tapering and with a support Group,so here I am again With and I was wrong it's been a 5 days my head space is a mess sorry, I think I am just scared of the horrifying seizures sorry it reads like a essay