Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Worried that this may be a major set-back or something since being put on a second benzo... when in recovery from the first?

[Bi...]

I was on Clonazepam for 7months before taken off cold turkey, off it for 5months (on a different type of med) then put on K. Was on that for 5months, then tapered for 10months (not consistently between reductions). Have been off it for 28months next Friday. But equally, I was drinking throughout the start - it would generally be only 2days a week, apart from if there were events in a week and sometimes I'd go a few weeks without anything. I stopped drinking apart from at events (still limited amounts and only every months, getting further and further apart and now not at all in 8months).

All of this no doubt caused me to be having a protracted withdrawal and so many symptoms, I didn't have many at all after coming off the first benzo - although my memory is so impaired since the K that I can't be 100% sure on anything - and then that scares me even more how long this will last or if there is anything my brain can't get past. Although can't deny I have seen a lot of healing and symptoms disappearing over the last year or two, especially in the last few months when I have many windows and feel 80% apart from just a handful of things in those times... does anyone know what this may do?

Edited by [Bi...]

[Cr...]
4 hours ago, [[B...] said:

Although can't deny I have seen a lot of healing and symptoms disappearing over the last year or two, especially in the last few months when I have many windows and feel 80% apart from just a handful of things in those times... does anyone know what this may do?

It is very possible that alcohol use may have greatly slowed down your healing potential. Some members have found themselves in the face of setbacks from alcohol use.

Congrats on being 8 months alcohol- free. The fact that you were still able to notice improvements while still using alcohol, and deem yourself 80% healed, is a positive. It may be best to continue to stay away from alcohol because of the uncertainty and real negative potential it brings. You already got 8 months under your belt, continue onward until you feel close to deeming yourself healed, then give yourself a little more time after that and think about maintaining moderation going forward if you decide to drink again.

Definitely no shame in giving it up all together either if you decide you want to.

• Like 1

[Bi...]

Thank you @[Cr...] - yes, I do intend on keeping away from alcohol for a long time.

Just also scares me that the cold turkey from the first benzo without any real awareness of benzos until after I was put on the second, and subsequently not living a life that supported my healing as efficiently as I do now since the second one. Worries me if this could also be causing problems with healing?

[Bi...]

So basically, does anyone know if having been on two benzos will cause more problems overall? 

[Pa...]

You may be dealing with kindling as a result of going on then off of two benzodiazepines but you can still recover.

• Like 1

[Bi...]

Thank you @[Pa...] - so good to know that it probably explains why it's taking longer and things, but hopefully I will heal eventually...