Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Ativan Taper

[vi...]

I have been put on an Ativan taper. Backstory, this will be week 5 that I am on it. My pcp set up a 4 week taper dropping the dose by .5 every week. I would b jumping off at .5. I am currently taking 1.5 mg a day (.5 am, .5 noon, .5 at night) will a 4 week taper be too fast? I tried to taper at 3 weeks but only lasted a day as I didnt really understand the process at first and ended up going back up to my 2mg. but as of now at 1.5 a day.. would a 4 week taper be sufficient or should I take it slower??

[vi...]

Also, last week my pcp tried to switch me to Klonopin for the longer half life but it had terrible side effects (insomnia, hearing things, ect.) so I quickly switched back to ativan after only one does of the Klonopin. He wants me to take this week to stabilize on the 1.5 and then start tapering.

[Pa...]

Hi @[vi...], I've been reading your other thread, you've sure been through some stuff with your doctor, his unwillingness to listen to your concerns is frustrating.  A patient led symptom based taper is best, especially when that patient is determined to get off the drug, you should be able to taper at a rate your body needs to keep you functional. 

As others have said, even though you've only been on the drug for a short time, your body is dependent and a slow taper would be the best way to stay functional as you reduce.  I believe the taper he has in mind for you is too fast, do you have any leeway to slow it down if your symptoms are too much?

[vi...]

@[Pa...] he prescribed 35 pills for the taper. Im unsure at the moment if he would prescribe more if i needed to slow down. Maybe possibly he finally understands as at my appointment today I brought my dad along with me (who is also a patient of his) and he FINALLY listened to what I was saying.  How much slower do you have in mind? like reduce by .25? because he did mention that as well but then changed his mind since the pills are only scored down the middle but I know there are other ways of breaking the pills down. 

[Pa...]

I'm happy to hear your dad was able to advocate for you, but it still sounds like he's trying to run your taper instead of trusting you.  Since he's supplying your pills, we have to hope he'll listen if things get too rough.

You might be able to get away with reducing by .25, the only way to know for sure is to give it a shot, I'm concerned its still too much but you should probably start there so you can tell your doctor you tried to do as he suggested.

And yes, we have all sorts of ways of getting smaller doses out of these pills.  Most are scored so you can be fairly certain you're getting the same amount of medication in each half but many members have found they can taper just fine by cutting them even smaller.  Here are some of the ways our members use to make small reductions. 

Titration - Benzodiazepine Withdrawal Support (benzobuddies.org)

• Like 1

[vi...]
Posted (edited)

@[Pa...] the pills are 1 mg scored down the middle to .5 mg. so maybe i could try reducing by .25 at first and see how that cut goes. I really dont want to drag it out too long as i am just ready to be off for good but i also dont want to rush it with there being so many risks. I know most say im not at risk for seizures at my dose & time ive been taking them but that is one of my fears. i want to taper off as safely as possible 

Edited by [vi...]

[Pa...]

I agree with your plan, we never know how its going to go until we try.  Hopefully your fear of seizure will leave you as you get more comfortable with your taper, but I agree with whoever has been telling you you're very low risk.

Its too bad your doctor didn't prescribe the lowest possible dose of Ativan, that would have made things easier but you can make due with the 1 mg.

Please keep us posted how your first reduction goes, and please document the reduction as well as your symptoms and their severity.  If things get rough this documentation may help you make your case to your doctor.  I wonder if he'd be receptive to this? 

Benzodiazepine Deprescribing Guidance (corxconsortium.org)

• Like 1

[vi...]

@[Pa...] that is a good read. maybe he would listen if i need to slow down but i will definitely document all side effects day by day with each taper. I will keep you guys posted as you all have been so helpful im glad i found this site instead of trying to listen to him & trying to cold turkey it:nono:

• Like 1

[vi...]

update: ive been feeling okay for the most part. could it mean its time to make another cut? or should i finish the full week out at 1.5 i dont want to move too fast