Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Benzo damage

[Na...]

Hey. I was tapering valium. Probably going a bit too fast for what my system could handle. I reached 5.6mg and sparked akathisia. It was so awful I tried to updose. Ended up back at 10mg. And felt like I was getting some relief. But I can still feel the damage underneath the effect of the valium. And now it feels like the valium is losing its ability to mask the damage. I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do now. Anyone who's done an updose and experienced something similar have any guidance? The symptoms were very very severe. I've been through a benzo withdrawal before and it wasn't like this. 

[Pa...]

I've read too many members say they either didn't get relief by updosing or it was short lived, I'm sorry you find yourself here.  How many days did it take to get back up to 10 mgs and how long have you been holding it?  Also, what was your original dose and how long has it taken you to taper to 5.6?

When you say you've been through this before, was it with Valium and how long ago was it?

I'm also curious about the akathisia, was it true akathisia or what many of us experience, an extreme form of restlessness?  

[Na...]
Posted (edited)

I tapered klonopin before. Was fine for 5 years after that then something sparked akathisia. Yes. Extreme restlessness and pacing and many many other symptoms along with it. I was put on 10mg valium in the ER and it seemed to work. All the symptoms disappeared after a day or two. Then my doctor wanted me to taper off and I spent 3 months going from 10mg to 5.6mg before It all came back with a vengeance. I updosed to 6mg. No relief. Updosed to 8mg. Nothing. All in one day. Then the next day I went to 10mg and started getting relief but not 100%  I've been holding back at 10mg for a few days and felt like I was stabilizing until today. I woke up this morning and feel much worse. Last night I felt sedated from it. This morning. It's like nothing. The pure panic and agitation. Can't breath normally. Woke up shaking uncontrollably. 

Edited by [Na...]

[Pa...]

Wow, so you were recovered from your Klonopin experience then you got akathisia and there was no reason?  Was there a steroid involved or an antipsychotic, any inkling why this happened?

You sound so miserable, may I ask, were you tolerating the Valium well, is there a reason your doctor wanted you off of it?

[Ja...]

Nateskate from experience so far,.if I updosed,accidentally or on perpose,.the next morning I felt always worse,.ether very depressed or very anxious like you’ve experienced 

I’ve felt more a lot more comfortable from a long hold that an updose

• Like 1