Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Memory issues or brain fog.

[bl...]

I am (30 Male) 13 moths off of Prazepam use of total 5 years. I can't recall what i was thinking about a second ago. I forgot people names. I don't forget them permanently but it is very difficult to remember.

is it brain fog? memory issues? early dementia? I am terrified

[Pa...]

@[bl...], I've heard many members complain about short term memory issues while taking, tapering and recovering from benzodiazepines, given your age, I suspect the same is true for you. How are your long term memories, do you remember details of your childhood?

[bl...]

@Pamster

My childhood memories are impaired even before benzo (severe trauma)
But after benzo I also forget peoples names that I don't talk with a lot, but once they tell me their names I remember them

[Pa...]

It sounds like you have other issues compounding your benzo experience, but I would trust in the fact that as you recover, the memory problems caused by the Prazepam should clear up.  Have you sought therapy for your past trauma?

[bl...]

@[Pa...] Thank you, in my country there is no competent therapists for trauma. They keep tell me I have psychosis ( which in true I have high anxiety)
Tellme, is is forgetting peoples names a wd symptom ? even after a year off?

[Pa...]

At a year off the medication, most are still recovering, it took me over a year so I would give yourself more time because memory issues are very common. 

[st...]

I also had a pretty serious short-term memory loss during my withdraw. It was from feeling like I wanted to separate myself from this long miserable situation that the withdraw can be. I understand others also experience it when they are separated from someone or something they love. The reason for this short-term memory loss is to block out one's memory so that the person is better able to cope with the separation. This went away completely for me when this laborious "process" finished.

[st...]

Hi, my long term memory was not affected by wd as much as short term memory.

[Pa...]
1 hour ago, [[b...] said:

@[Pa...]@[st...] I am sorry I didn't understand, is long term memory also affected by wd?

I've read that mostly its short term memory, I would imagine it would be difficult to form new memories while taking the drug.  I'm hopeful that as you recover, your ability to form and store short term memory will return. 

[bl...]
10 minutes ago, [[P...] said:

I've read that mostly its short term memory, I would imagine it would be difficult to form new memories while taking the drug.  I'm hopeful that as you recover, your ability to form and store short term memory will return. 

I've just read many people here on the forum says long term memory is effected

[Pa...]

This is probably true, but hopefully your long and short term will come back when you recover. 

• 1 month later...
5 hours ago, [[b...] said:

@[st...] How much time it took you to regain memory?

My memory came back after being 8 months off.