Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

HOW LONG DOES SHORTNESS OF BREATH LAST

[ca...]

Hi buddies, could you share how long your shortness of breath last during taper?? I can barely breathe besides not getting enough sleep is making it worse.

Thanks

Per clinical studies:

Sleep deprivation can negatively affect breathing and lung functionIt can impair the respiratory system's efficiency by: Causing respiratory muscle fatigue, Depressing the central nervous system, Impairing arousal responses to stimuli, and Impairing ventilatory drive

Edited by [ca...]
  • Like 1

[PE...]

Hi!

I think shortness of breath is caused by anxiety..and anxiety caused by withdrawal. 

[kn...]

I’ve had shortness of breath (or air hunger as it’s called here) on and off for the nearly three years I’ve been tapering.  I’ve had it checked out,  both at my cardiologist and on my own with a finger oximeter that I purchased on my own. Even when I have shortness of breath, my oxygen levels have been normal. When I have windows, it goes away. It’s a common problem reported here by many members. It’s horrible to deal with (as are all the symptoms), but I really don’t think it’s anything to worry about. 

[ca...]
5 minutes ago, [[k...] said:

I’ve had shortness of breath (or air hunger as it’s called here) on and off for the nearly three years I’ve been tapering.  I’ve had it checked out,  both at my cardiologist and on my own with a finger oximeter that I purchased on my own. Even when I have shortness of breath, my oxygen levels have been normal. When I have windows, it goes away. It’s a common problem reported here by many members. It’s horrible to deal with (as are all the symptoms), but I really don’t think it’s anything to worry about. 

This is what my oximeter shows. It fluctuates between 94 and 96

17192572187126124361255163772324.jpg

• Love 1

[ca...]
Just now, [[k...] said:

You’re fine. Stop worrying. 

What numbers are to worry?

[PE...]
12 minutes ago, [[k...] said:

You’re fine. Stop worrying. 

Being worried is a symptom

• Like 2

[Cr...]

A pulse oximeter reading of 95 to 100 percent is considered normal for healthy adults. 

The following is from WebMD:

Low oxygen level, also called hypoxemia, is considered a reading between 90% and 92%. A reading this low means you might need supplemental oxygen or that there may be challenges that affect how your lungs function. A result below 90% indicates that you should seek medical attention.

So even a 90 to 92 is stated as 'might' needing supplemental oxygen.

The takeaway is that the shortness of breath is not harming you and may actually be a false sensation caused by withdrawal making it 'feel' like your breaths are not satisfying and complete. 

[ca...]
23 minutes ago, [[C...] said:

A pulse oximeter reading of 95 to 100 percent is considered normal for healthy adults. 

The following is from WebMD:

Low oxygen level, also called hypoxemia, is considered a reading between 90% and 92%. A reading this low means you might need supplemental oxygen or that there may be challenges that affect how your lungs function. A result below 90% indicates that you should seek medical attention.

So even a 90 to 92 is stated as 'might' needing supplemental oxygen.

The takeaway is that the shortness of breath is not harming you and may actually be a false sensation caused by withdrawal making it 'feel' like your breaths are not satisfying and complete. 

So, in addition,  lack of sleep could be affecting as well I guess.  I have several nights of may be 1, 1 1/2 of sleep.

[kn...]

If there’s a symptom to find, it’s a given we’ve all had it at one time or another.  For heaven’s sake I’m 73 and still not through with my taper.  I guess I could worry about that, but I may get hit by a bus while I take the garbage out.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

[or...]

@[ca...] I had this symptom, too. When I mentioned it to my doc, she offered to prescribe an inhaler for me so I could give myself a shot of albuterol now and then. I think she was indulging my anxiety. Whatever, it worked. Once I got the inhaler, I used it off and on for about 6 months, then forgot about it. Did I need it? I don't know, Was my doc just indulging me? Dunno. But I felt psychologically a whole lot better having it around. And maybe I breathed a little easier. Another weird phenomenon of tapering. :classic_unsure: Hope you feel better though, Carlos.

Katz

• Like 1
  • Love 1

[ca...]
20 hours ago, [[k...] said:

If there’s a symptom to find, it’s a given we’ve all had it at one time or another.  For heaven’s sake I’m 73 and still not through with my taper.  I guess I could worry about that, but I may get hit by a bus while I take the garbage out.

👍🏻.

[ca...]
Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, [[o...] said:

@[ca...] I had this symptom, too. When I mentioned it to my doc, she offered to prescribe an inhaler for me so I could give myself a shot of albuterol now and then. I think she was indulging my anxiety. Whatever, it worked. Once I got the inhaler, I used it off and on for about 6 months, then forgot about it. Did I need it? I don't know, Was my doc just indulging me? Dunno. But I felt psychologically a whole lot better having it around. And maybe I breathed a little easier. Another weird phenomenon of tapering. :classic_unsure: Hope you feel better though, Carlos.

Katz

Thanks Katz.  I think I will have to ride it out.  I have a heart condition which it can increase more my heart rate. I'm not sleeping well either, that contributes too. What a mess...

Edited by [ca...]

[or...]

@[ca...] just to let you know . . . my breathlessness disappeared as I finished my taper. So . . . what really caused it? I'll never know. But it seems to be a common affliction of tapering. Feel better, my friend :mybuddy:

[ca...]
22 minutes ago, [[o...] said:

@[ca...] just to let you know . . . my breathlessness disappeared as I finished my taper. So . . . what really caused it? I'll never know. But it seems to be a common affliction of tapering. Feel better, my friend :mybuddy:

How did you handle not sleeping for months? I feel lifeless.  Could you share your experience?? I'm trying to watch the Eurocup and I can't keep my head straight. Just eating makes me tired.

[Cr...]

@[ca...], can you refresh everyone on everything you have tried so far to help out with your insomnia?

Also, have you tried a lower dose of Mirt like you were thinking about?

[ca...]

I have tried hydroxyzine, Trazodone, Seroquel, z-drugs. Currently still at 15mg mirt as 7.5 did not work. 

[ca...]
Posted (edited)

Is insomnia normal throughout the entire taper? I moved my higher dose to the night time and it does not help. I have been on Mirt for over a year and does not work anymore. Already tried hydroxyzine, Trazodone, Seroquel, no results. 

Any feedback from members, coaches or moderator out there please. 

Edited by [ca...]

[Cr...]

For some people it is present throughout, but often varies in severity.

I would still consider you as trying to stabilize and therefor it will probably be an issue in the meantime.

You have tried various meds but have you tried any combinations? You may want to look into what you can safely take together. When combining meds you should always check with a pharmacist or doctor. 

You can also look into combining milder stuff like cbd, magnesium, and melatonin (1 mg sublingual form knocks me out). One member was talking about success for insomnia from using a thc vape.

• Like 1

[PE...]

Yes I'm the vape guy @[Cr...] :)

I'm using a THC vape from the indica strain for my insomnia. It works better than benzo to sleep on and has no negative effect on me.

It works totally different than benzos and even use its own receptor in the brain.

I know how devastating bad insomnia can be!!

😊😊

• Like 1

[ca...]
16 hours ago, [[C...] said:

For some people it is present throughout, but often varies in severity.

I would still consider you as trying to stabilize and therefor it will probably be an issue in the meantime.

You have tried various meds but have you tried any combinations? You may want to look into what you can safely take together. When combining meds you should always check with a pharmacist or doctor. 

You can also look into combining milder stuff like cbd, magnesium glycinate, and melatonin (1 mg sublingual form knocks me out). One member was talking about success for insomnia from using a thc vape.

It literally feels like these is a barrier between my brain and any sleep, a concrete wall. 

I hope this is no neurological problem that I have. 

[Cr...]

Technically you could call benzo withdrawal a neurological problem. So you aren't wrong in that way. However, I assume that you are referring to having a medical condition that is unrelated to BW causing your insomnia. 

I find that very unlikely in regards to timing as this problem seemed to reach it's apex after you made those cuts to klonopin and then updosed to stabilize. If it would help put your mind at ease, you can make an appointment with a neurologist to rule any other potential conditions out. A somnologist might also be of some help, assuming the solution offered is not just more benzos or z-drugs.

[ca...]
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, [[C...] said:

Technically you could call benzo withdrawal a neurological problem. So you aren't wrong in that way. However, I assume that you are referring to having a medical condition that is unrelated to BW causing your insomnia. 

I find that very unlikely in regards to timing as this problem seemed to reach it's apex after you made those cuts to klonopin and then updosed to stabilize. If it would help put your mind at ease, you can make an appointment with a neurologist to rule any other potential conditions out. A somnologist might also be of some help, assuming the solution offered is not just more benzos or z-drugs.

Thanks Crono, I think you are right.i have to be with myself as I haven't stuck to a dose consistently and /or cut down to soon. I have to stick to .75mg until I feel somewhat better because right now I have to say that I'm a hot mess. May be .5mg at bedtime and .25mg at 8 am or so for at least a month. I was on a 2-3 mg back in April 7th when I decided to get off benzos and started my taper at .75mg.  Why? Let's call it in desperation and not knowing what I was doing.  Now I have to deal with my present situation until things get better.

I am having problems here at home because as usual, noone knows or understands what are Benzos and the withdrawal symptoms. They want to go to a detox facility which for me is not an option. They would make things worse. In addition to all of the above, I don't have a good Psychiatric. She wanted to be on a higher dose (more than 3mg) just to resolve the sleep. Finding a provider now in the US is like finding a needle in a haystack.  6-8 months out and they are clueless about tapering benzos.

Edited by [ca...]

[Cr...]
25 minutes ago, [[c...] said:

am having problems here at home because as usual, noone knows or understands what are Benzos and the withdrawal symptoms. They want to go to a detox facility which for me is not an option. They would make things worse. 

I agree with your assessment. Detox will have you off the meds safely but it is basically a slightly slower cold turkey that is medically supervised.

I did not recall that you were on 2 to 3 mg of Klonopin as recently as Apr 7th. How long were you on that dose? No wonder you are having trouble stabilizing at .75 mg. That wasn't your original dose but the dose you were on after your very first cut.

Your body is most likely still adjusting to the loss of 1.25 to 2.25 mgs. Your insomnia already made sense before, but now it is more apparent than ever what your body has been dealing with these last months. 

Things may likely improve for you little by little as the weeks go by. Please continue to keep us updated on any progress or changes.