Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Gabapentin for the headaches?

[Kr...]

Im 9 weeks off. Intrusive thoughts, headaches 24/7, anxiety… 

im thinking about taking gabapentin to see if it works for me. Anyone who took it? It worked for the headaches? We’re you taking it everyday? 

[Ma...]

There are many other options for headaches other than Gabapentin, which comes with a host of side effects.

Can you take Tylenol? You can order ice ‘hats’ on Amazon meant for migraines. It could be inflammation where some find Quercetin helpful. Are you getting some fresh air? They could also be stress related in which case relaxation techniques could assist.

We all often want to find a pill for our symptoms but unfortunately that’s not always the answer.

[kn...]

I was prescribed Gabaptenin for neuropathy in my feet and legs. It helped that condition for a short time. I became in tolerance shortly and it was a bear to get off the stuff.  I’ve never heard of it being used for  headaches. 

• Love 1

[Kr...]
32 minutes ago, [[M...] said:

There are many other options for headaches other than Gabapentin, which comes with a host of side effects.

Can you take Tylenol? You can order ice ‘hats’ on Amazon meant for migraines. It could be inflammation where some find Quercetin helpful. Are you getting some fresh air? They could also be stress related in which case relaxation techniques could assist.

We all often want to find a pill for our symptoms but unfortunately that’s not always the answer.

Doing the ice hats… not helping much. 

I’m going out, yes… yes for sure, I just want to stop with the pain 🙁

[Kr...]
3 minutes ago, [[k...] said:

I was prescribed Gabaptenin for neuropathy in my feet and legs. It helped that condition for a short time. I became in tolerance shortly and it was a bear to get off the stuff.  I’ve never heard of it being used for  headaches. 

Oh ok! Noted!! 

[no...]

in all honesty I just made the poor decision to try this 2 weeks ago agfter Neurologist prescribed it for some nerve issues im facing.  it took all about three days for this medication  to set me back. the nerve pain in my legs is 10 times worse now & the morning anxiety has also spiked almost as bad as it was when I jumped from Klon. I was doling pretty well considering & now not so much. be careful with these Drs & what they prescribe... they are clueless in terms of the suffering these meds are causing people. 

Edited by [no...]

[Kr...]
9 hours ago, [[K...] said:

im thinking about taking gabapentin to see if it works for me. Anyone who took it? It worked for the headaches? We’re you taking it everyday? 

For headaches? Goodness, they will try to prescribe this drug for anything.

I hope you find relief without having to resort to this drug.

[jo...]
9 hours ago, [[K...] said:

I had all these symptoms quite bad for at least 2 months. It's the acute phase and the most intense part. It does let up even though it feels like it won't.

It's easy to worry that it's not going to give you a break, but it does. I still get bad anxiety and intrusive thoughts but it becomes more sporadic.

Sleep is also still a problem but not as much as in acute. It's rough but hang in there. A window could come soon. My first window came out of the blue after a couple of months or so. I had an incredibly rough day the day before, and the day before that etc, so wasn't expecting it at all.

I fell asleep one night and woke up the next day having slept relatively well and felt a lot of relief compared to how I had been feeling every day for the previous 2 months or so.

As for Gabapentin for a headache thats a new one to me. I wouldn't mess with anything that has gaba in the title personally if I could help it. Hope you feel better soon. I'm sure you will.

[jo...]

people on here have had success with coffee for headaches. If you can tolorate it.

• Love 1

[or...]

@[Kr...] I had intense headaches on my taper. I found a PT who did sacral-cranial massage and what a difference that made! Maybe look around for someone like that? I bet a couple of phone calls will turn one up. I, too, like @[kn...]took gabapentin for neuropathy and it was a bad drug to come off. Also, as I recall, the immediate s/x  as you're getting used to the drug were horrid. I had a lot of nausea, dizziness, and just feeling "out of it". I hear you about the headaches, though. :mybuddy:Best to you,

Katz

• Like 1

[Ti...]

Try ginger root tea. It really helps with brain inflammation. Ginger calms glutamate as well and can negate the effects of MSG. Turmeric is a good anti inflammatory as well. Headaches and chronic migraine got me into this mess and gabapentin never helped me, plus in withdrawal it very well might give you an akathesia reaction, has other horrible side effects and is hard to get off of. Hope you are able to find some relief. I’ve had a never ending headache for 17 plus years now and I know how wearing and exhausting it can be. 

Edited by [Ti...]
  • Like 1

[PE...]
10 hours ago, [[K...] said:

I know I'm nagging about this but just want to help.

If you still can use caffeine it can help. I had migraine for months and I killed it totally with strong coffee. 

My headache was very migraine like.

[Sc...]

For headaches/migraines, I take sumatriptan. It takes about an hour for it to kick in but I do not take it that often.

I was on gabapentin for 3 years and it did not work well with me, gave me anger issues, weight gain (It's all gone now) and I got bad migraines while weaning off of it. For some it works wonders but no such luck for me. I have never heard of it prescribed for migraines though. My neurologist tried propanolol with me (Gave me acute asthma, stopped taking it) and other medications that did not sit well with me either. So now I just stick with sumatriptan. 

To combat those symptoms you mentioned (Except headaches) I am on baclofen, it is for my muscle condition but it does wonders for me mentally, as SSRI are out of the question for me too (very bad reaction!)

Good luck and I hope this was helpful to someone :) hugs

• Like 2