Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Low vitamins from blood test.

[le...]

In need of some advice please. I'm almost 50 and have been on Diazepam daily as prescribed for anxiety and agoraphobia for 24 years. My anxiety and agoraphobia is worse than ever and I haven't been able to leave my house for just over 2 years. A nurse came to my house and took bloods. The results came back and I'm incredibly low in vitamin D, Folate and B12 (Dr said in his 28 years of practice he has never seen levels this low). Could being so low in these vitamins be making my already bad anxiety even worse? Also I'm getting ultra tired, no motivation, muscle pains, lack of strength and abdomen issues such as constipation and pains. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

The vitamin deficiencies are without doubt intensifying anxiety and contributing to your all symptoms. In your position I’d ask your doc for weekly B12 injections, and also ask about taking 5,000 IU vitamin D, and 400-1000 mg methylfolate. That should have you able to leave your house and be free of crippling anxiety sooner rather than later. I was on diazepam for 30 plus years, so what you’re describing is very familiar. Be well, my friend!

• Like 1

[Ma...]

@[...] Please be careful prescribing what others should take.

Vit D is an atypical steroid and a lot of people have strong reactions to it because it can be very activating, as can B Vitamins.

Vitamin deficiencies can definitely contribute to fatigue, depression and a whole host of other things and it’s important to address.

Many find 20 minutes in the sun-try leaving your front door perhaps initially-helps Vit D. And a lot work with a Functional Nutritionist to address deficiencies as benzos are known to strip you of them.

Edited by [Ma...]
  • Like 1

[kn...]

I’m currently tapering diazepam. I’d been taking other Benzos for 30 years and my provider crossed me to 60 mgs of diazepam and I started down from there. It’s been nearly three years now and I’m down to .333 mgs. I’m also 73. Nausea is a common problem here and I’ve had lots of it. So my diet wasn’t what it should have been. At a neurological exam they did blood work and it came back with the lowest B12 results they’d ever seen.  Who knew??  I’m now doing much better on supplements.