Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Psych pain is too much

[gu...]

I’m curious, how do people manage unbearable psychological pain?

[Cr...]

For me I spent many days and nights just fighting the alarming thoughts, trying desperately to ignore them or replace them. That only led to a long period of time where I felt I constantly on edge... like if I let my guard down and stopped fighting back against the mental pain the symptoms and negative thoughts would overwhelm me like opening a floodgate.

I found out instead of constantly fighting with my symptoms, I could slowly train myself to accept their presence. It is easier to let the flood in but float on top of it. Yeah these thoughts were already scary based on their subject matter, but the more i feared them the more powerful and present they became. They feed on focus and fear. Acknowledgement sounds like focus but it is not, it is passive acceptance. 

You could spend 30 years worrying about getting hit by a meteor if you step outside and remain in a nonstop anxious state, but then it never happens. Your neighbor could have spent the past 30 years not worrying about it at all, but still acknowledges the possibility every once and awhile. Your  neighbor then dies after a meteor hits her house. Which person would you say suffered more and which lived a better life? Even if the meteor hit you as well and you both passed away, the neighbor was only affected by the meteor for 1 second of her life, while you were affected 30 years + 1 second.

These are just the intrusive irrational thoughts aspect of psyche pain though. If the psychological pain is from ruminating on actual past events like deaths, or regretful choices made in life, they may respond to the 'accept their presence' way of thinking, but they could also be issues that you need help coming to terms with in therapy.

Since psycological pain is so broad in what it applies to, the coping methods that are most effective will vary. No matter what, nothing changes overnight. We are stubborn by nature, and changing how we think takes persistence, time, and consistency.

I hope you get relief from this hellish wave soon @[gu...]. The mental stuff was the worst aspect of withdrawal and waves for me. It is normal to feel exhausted constantly dealing with all the negative thoughts and feelings the brain throws at us.

• Like 3

[gu...]

Crono I deeply appreciate your response.  My psych pain is pure anguish, but to another new dimension. It’s not based on past events or regrets. It’s just a degree of depression That is very, not normal, I know it is organically driven because of the withdrawal. But it is swallowing me up.  I’m extremely open to any suggestions for how to deal with this. It scares the living shit out of me. Thank you

[Le...]

endure for well over a year was all i could do. i had some close moments. 

[Cr...]
1 hour ago, [[g...] said:

Crono I deeply appreciate your response.  My psych pain is pure anguish, but to another new dimension. It’s not based on past events or regrets. It’s just a degree of depression That is very, not normal, I know it is organically driven because of the withdrawal. But it is swallowing me up.  I’m extremely open to any suggestions for how to deal with this. It scares the living shit out of me. Thank you

So basically a very broad and constant depressive atmosphere clouding your thoughts feelings.

Even though your goal is to stop fearing these feelings and thoughts, the fact that you are afraid of these thoughts and feelings helps to show that they are not the real you. You can accept their presence, but you don't have to waste time fearing the significance/meaning of their presence.

Only suggestion I can think of outside of acceptance involves smalls goals.

Do you have a show/series you have been meaning to watch or house project that you have been meaning to complete but have put off until you get better?  Something that would take a long time to complete even if you felt normal?

If so I want you to start on that project. Let's say you were gifted all 8 seasons of Game of Thrones last year and you have been wanting to watch the whole series. Even though you feel mentally awful and you are distracted by your thoughts, make it a goal to watch ..say at minimum 30 minutes of an episode each day. No matter how you feel mentally, always complete that task every day no matter what. If you can manage to watch longer on some days, even better.

The point is that as time goes by you will realize you are slowly accomplishing a major task you have been wanting to do in spite of how horrific you feel. The symptoms aren't owning you, you are holding them hostage and forcing them to come along as you do what YOU want to do. When you complete the series, not only have you actually managed to accomplish what you deemed impossible, but your confidence in overcoming adversity will increase. Of course you may have enjoyed the series too :thumbsup:

You can apply this to painting a room, reorganizing a garage, yardwork. Set small daily time goals dedicated to a much larger goal and force yourself to accomplish them no matter how you feel. Make that promise to yourself. Perhaps something like 7:00p to 7:30p could be set aside every night. Well after work and well before bed.

• Like 1

[He...]

I have unbearable inner pain deep in the soul often .What helps me is

telling my self short prases like: I can make this  : It will pass : Im strong : everything is going to be all right when this is over

That and prayers helps.

Edited by [He...]
text
  • Like 1

[gu...]
Posted (edited)

I’m also now getting extreme feelings of weakness and fatigue during and after a bad depressive episode. It lasts for hours. Haven’t had this before and that spooks me too. Crono, did you have this? Anyone else? Thank you everyone for your answers.

Edited by [gu...]

[Cr...]
3 minutes ago, [[g...] said:

I’m also now getting extreme feelings of weakness and fatigue during and after a bad depressive episode. It lasts for hours. Haven’t had this before and that spooks me too. Crono, did you have this? Anyone else? Thank you everyone for your answers.

Yes. I mainly only got that sensation whenever a wave brought on severe depression. A depressive state can definitely affect hormone levels which are a factor in energy levels.

While I don't know the exact science behind it, severe fatigue and depression often go hand in hand. It gets so bad that even walking 10 steps to the restroom seemed like a monumental task.

As long as you try to keep to a sensible, healthy diet and rule out other potential physical sources there is nothing much you can do but wait it out and try to get moderate exercise like walking in when you can. Sunlight is important.

8 hours ago, [[C...] said:

For me I spent many days and nights just fighting the alarming thoughts, trying desperately to ignore them or replace them. That only led to a long period of time where I felt I constantly on edge... like if I let my guard down and stopped fighting back against the mental pain the symptoms and negative thoughts would overwhelm me like opening a floodgate.

I found out instead of constantly fighting with my symptoms, I could slowly train myself to accept their presence. It is easier to let the flood in but float on top of it. Yeah these thoughts were already scary based on their subject matter, but the more i feared them the more powerful and present they became. They feed on focus and fear. Acknowledgement sounds like focus but it is not, it is passive acceptance. 

You could spend 30 years worrying about getting hit by a meteor if you step outside and remain in a nonstop anxious state, but then it never happens. Your neighbor could have spent the past 30 years not worrying about it at all, but still acknowledges the possibility every once and awhile. Your  neighbor then dies after a meteor hits her house. Which person would you say suffered more and which lived a better life? Even if the meteor hit you as well and you both passed away, the neighbor was only affected by the meteor for 1 second of her life, while you were affected 30 years + 1 second.

These are just the intrusive irrational thoughts aspect of psyche pain though. If the psychological pain is from ruminating on actual past events like deaths, or regretful choices made in life, they may respond to the 'accept their presence' way of thinking, but they could also be issues that you need help coming to terms with in therapy.

Since psycological pain is so broad in what it applies to, the coping methods that are most effective will vary. No matter what, nothing changes overnight. We are stubborn by nature, and changing how we think takes persistence, time, and consistency.

I hope you get relief from this hellish wave soon @[gu...]. The mental stuff was the worst aspect of withdrawal and waves for me. It is normal to feel exhausted constantly dealing with all the negative thoughts and feelings the brain throws at us.

How long did this last for you, @[Cr...]? I know it's different for everyone but just to get an idea of how the psychological sxs evolve.

[gu...]

Only slept 2 hours last night. Husband is becoming overwhelmed. How can I go on? I will have no reserves to deal with the emotional overwhelm today. This is more desperate than I have ever been in withdrawal. Unbelievable at 7 1/2 years.  Crono, anyone, encouragement desperately needed.