Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Psychosis and agoraphobia after a year off

[bl...]

Hey!
I experience psychosis that lasted from tapering till one year off, mainly paranoid delusions but I am aware of them. They are like high anxiety to the point of agoraphobia. I take anti-psychotics without any relief. Would I get back to old me?

Are you taking an anti-psychotic now? As far as I understand, you would begin to heal only after being off of all psych meds.

[bl...]

@[...] Yes I am taking an aniti-psychotic now, they said I have a psychotic disorder and when I looked on net, anti-psychotics should help it. Are you saying it makes me worst?

Well the list of meds of concern during benzo wd includes anti psychotics if I remember correctly, as they act on the same receptors we are trying to heal. If your episodes started during tapering it's quite probable they're related to the wd. It's quite common for people in wd or harmed by meds to be diagnosed with something else, and then be medicated for those symptoms, while they are very often just part of wd. I've read lots of stories of people who only got worse when using something else. 

Perhaps it would be a good idea for you to look at all the possible wd symptoms so you can get an idea of what you can expect during and after tapering benzos (and other psych meds, as most of them cause similar symptoms).

[bl...]

@[...] Thank you for taking type searching for facts to help me. Unfortunately I have difficulty reading complex english.

it says in the link you provided:

"
Antipsychotics (Some)

These have been known to cause severe and potentially permanent adverse effects, such as movement disorders known as Tardive Dyskinesia, akathisia and the development of psychosis even in people without a history of psychotic disorders. Some anticonvulsants have GABAergic activity or a similar mechanism of action to benzodiazepines. 

"

are anti-psychotics same as anticonvulsants for GABA system?

Thank you

Hi, @[bl...]) i know for sure some people take anti-psychotics to help themselves during benzo withdrawal and recover the same as those who didn't. I personally took an antidepressant which helped me to live through the hard time. I'm getting better.

As far as i understand, such medications are supposed to help our nervous sistem to find some balance while healing, avoiding GABA receptors, which are to recover first thing. Sure it's better to do without them but sometimes WD symptoms can be too hard to be coped on our own. It's just medications of such kind must be picked thoroughly. It's not usually that easy to find the one suitable exactly for you. 

I'm sure you'll get back to your old self. People recover but everyone at their own pace)

• Like 1

[Ma...]

Antipsychotics can cause long term problems including shrinking of the brain. 

As someone already mentioned, w/d symptoms can mimic many disorders in the DSM but are really just that: symptoms of w/d.

You said they haven’t given you relief so you may consider tapering off of them instead of using your energy to determine if they affect GABA or anything else.

• Like 1

[bl...]

@[Ma...] I am aware of the consequences but I took the antipsychotics for 3 years
It's very hard to taper them I am still in benzo wd and based on this page  ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benzodiazepine_withdrawal_syndrome#:~:text=Antipsychotics are generally ineffective for,aggravate withdrawal symptoms%2C including convulsions. )

I might be having issues with it and cannot taper...God I am exhausted to even type and think

[Ma...]

I’m sure you’re exhausted. 1 thing at a time. Just 1.

Maybe give yourself and your brain a break and stop going to Dr. Google. Just return to this moment. 

As you know this is a marathon, not a sprint. I wake up each morning and think, Okay, what am I dealing with today. Only today, nothing more.

Just this breath, just this moment.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, [[b...] said:

@[...], @[Br...]
I think I ve read some state anti-psychotics affect GABA system. like this: https://journals.lww.com/psychopharmacology/citation/2000/04000/neuroleptic_malignant_syndrome_after_antipsychotic.33.aspx

I'd like to hear anecdotes to know better

Yes, there are some anti-psychotics that affect GABA sistem. I just check any medication i'm recommended whether it acts through GABA receptors or not. I've learnt to be careful.

What antipsychotics do you take?

A break sounds so inviting. Sending my support and a bit of strength to you! A bit because don't have much myself yet)

[bl...]

@[...] Thank you so much, I take Olanzapine and technically it is (Thienobenzodiazepines), which is related to benzos but affect many other neurotransmitters. They say it's way harder that benzos to come off of it. And some resources suggest to not take it during withdrawal. I will Pray to God for the help.

@[bl...], oh, i was prescribed this medication while in benzo tolerance but didn't use it. I know a couple of people who did take the pills to mitigate wd symptoms and one of them tapered off olanzapine afterwards, slowly and meticulously but successfully. Unfortunately, i don't know the people well enough.

I've just looked through the instruction for its use and didn't find anything about exactly GABA receptors, just others. I'd be careful about using the medication for too long though, the same as any others of the kind. 

I wish i could help you more. The benzo withdrawal is such a difficult process. Wish you healing!