Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

what do you do with arrhythmia / heart palpitations?

[be...]

My heart rate is like 100 when I sit and it is like 120 when I walk. I can't live like that. I will collapse someday if it stays like this.

I have tried propranolol and the problem is it makes my heart beat too slow sometimes. Is there something that can make your heart beat normally without making it too slow?

Is it always like that, have you measured it many times over several days? Do you have any other heart condition that you know of?

I'm asking because my son was having those same symptoms for months when he was in wd from a ssri (and we had no idea), after many exams that showed everything was ok he was given a high dose of benzos at the ER which ultimately made this symptom worse. It went on for some months after being off the benzo until it completely disappeared. I just wish he had known it was a wd symptom, he could've ignored it and wouldn't be in this mess now.

• Like 1

I think it was well over 7 months without any medication that he noticed a change, he used to have palpitations too but those never came back, it was very surprising. That symptom stressed him out terribly, he even talked about needing a transplant. But suddenly it was like it never existed, so weird.

But anyway if you think you're having a cardiac arrest you could have a check up to rule anything out?

He's 23 now, didn't really taper because he took benzos ocassionally for about 2 months (when he was 22). He had however taken a benzo daily for 5-6 months some years before, together with the AD (as prescribed) so I think this could be considered kindling and CT.

A psychiatrist wanted to give him propanolol too last year. It seems they give it for anxiety too. But he's very reluctant to take any meds now and in the end it worked out ok (the heart symptoms, he still has other things).

Well he's 18 months out and not healed yet, still has a lot of emotional and physical symptoms. I've been thinking being young has its advantages in this process but also a very big disadvantage in that young people haven't been able to develop much patience or resilience. Also has very little ability to calm himself, practice any type of mindfulness, etc. He's also very stubborn and now that he can lift weights he does it to the fullest, even if it revs up his symptoms or he ends up fainting. It's very frustrating!

Anyway, sorry for the rant. Hope your symptoms calm down soon! 

• Like 1

[PE...]
8 hours ago, [[b...] said:

My heart rate is like 100 when I sit and it is like 120 when I walk. I can't live like that. I will collapse someday if it stays like this.

I have tried propranolol and the problem is it makes my heart beat too slow sometimes. Is there something that can make your heart beat normally without making it too slow?

My is 120 at the gym when I'm running and it's ok so having 100 for awhile might be ok?

There are medicines for arrhythmia my mom takes it.. if it's really a problem you should try it mabey??

Edited by [PE...]

[be...]
20 minutes ago, [[P...] said:

My is 120 at the gym when I'm running and it's ok so having 100 for awhile might be ok?

There are medicines for arrhythmia my mom takes it.. if it's really a problem you should try it mabey??

darn. mine is 100 when i sit. 110 when i stand up. 120 when i walk

[PE...]
1 minute ago, [[b...] said:

darn. mine is 100 when i sit. 110 when i stand up. 120 when i walk

It's a bit high, i think 80/90 is normal but the heart is a strong muscle!

[be...]
2 minutes ago, [[P...] said:

It's a bit high, i think 80/90 is normal but the heart is a strong muscle!

yes. even the doctor said it is weird. 

[PE...]

Having high BP in withdrawal is normal. I'm having high because of a tumour in the glands producing stress hormones and had to go ambulance a couple of times in the acute phase.

I had crazy high. It's been ok since 3 months now. 

How long are you out? Or tapering?

[be...]
5 minutes ago, [[P...] said:

Having high BP in withdrawal is normal. I'm having high because of a tumour in the glands producing stress hormones and had to go ambulance a couple of times in the acute phase.

I had crazy high. It's been ok since 3 months now. 

How long are you out? Or tapering?

50 days off

• Like 1

[PE...]
2 minutes ago, [[b...] said:

50 days off

First 2 months was my worst. Lets hope for you to.

[be...]
Just now, [[P...] said:

First 2 months was my worst. Lets hope for you to.

thanks. i hope so too.

but i read some posts that says it lasts much longer

[PE...]
Just now, [[b...] said:

thanks. i hope so too.

but i read some posts that says it lasts much longer

For some yes. But remember, people still being here means those still in pain. I think most that are better doing other things in life than hanging on a withdrawal forum.

Sorry, I seem to have erased my reply when I was trying to edit! Anyway I see you had read it already. Just wanted to add that @[PE...] is right, most people would avoid these forums like the plague when they're a bit better so don't think your case will be as bad as the ones you read here.

• Like 1

[Po...]

I’ve not read all the replies. A resting HR off 100+ is a bit high. Have you seen a cardiologist?  There’s lots of different meds that can control HR and BP. You didn’t meyyour BP that I saw. Surely they can find one that will work for you

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
[Tr...]

Hello, I had a similar experience when I CTed the dopamine agonist Pramipexole last February. I had to take Propranolol. I was taking very low doses in order to avoid low heart rate. The tachycardia disappeared in May and I tapered off the Propranolol. 
Take care and hopefully the problem will disappear very soon!

Edited by [Tr...]