Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Taper plan for .25 Klonopin

[Bi...]

Hello, I posted in the other section of this group about my tolerance development after a generic brand change. It’s been 8 weeks and I’m still experiencing tolerance withdrawal to my .25 of klon (high anxiety, agoraphobia, ocd etc).  I was hoping things would stabilize before I started my taper but that’s not happening and I feel like i should stop dragging my feet and start my taper. I am terrified that things will go from bad to worse. A few weeks ago I tried up dosing to 3/4 of a pill for four days and it did not help, in fact I think it made me feel worse. 
I would appreciate any help you care to share with a taper plan for .25 of klon. I’ve been on various doses of klon for 5 years, but on .25 for 7 months. 
I’ve of course been researching, probably too much, joined FB groups and just feel overwhelmed with the info, horror stories and the whole process of tapering. 
thank you for any input you care to share. 

[Br...]

Hello @[Bi...]-  I'm so sorry you're dealing with tolerance withdrawal.  I went through this too, also with Klonopin, but unlike you I had no clue what was going on.

I looked at your other thread and saw it was suggested that you might split your daily dose and take it in the a.m. and p.m.  This could help if in addition to tolerance withdrawal, interdose withdrawal is contributing to any of your symptoms.  I wonder if it might be worth trying this for a week or so before you start tapering.

As you already know, tapering off is the route you'll need to take to get out of the clutches of tolerance. When you're ready to start we typically suggest tapering by making cuts of no more than 5-10% of your most recent daily dose every two weeks.  If you decide to split your daily dose (and in my opinion it is worth trying) you would make equal reductions in both morning and nighttime doses.  We encourage members to let their taper be guided by symptoms - if symptoms interfere with your ability to function you would make even smaller cuts and or hold longer between cuts.  

If you don't already, it's helpful to keep a daily or weekly journal where you track your symptoms, for example using a 1-10 scale. This will help you identify patterns and track your progress over time. It will help you develop a sense of your baseline level of symptoms which while uncomfortable you are able to accept as a temporary situation as you make progress toward getting off the med. If symptoms start to become more intense and go beyond the baseline you have determined you can function with then you make an adjustment to your taper rate/size of cut.

Please be sure to read Success Stories often.  It can really help sustain you during tapering.  They were an essential piece of holding onto hope and encouragement when I was in the thick of withdrawal.  They will remind you that others went through what you are experiencing and have recovered.  

[Bi...]

Thanks @[Br...] Yes, I started dividing my dose on Monday this week.  Did you find any relief from tolerance symptoms or  withdrawal symptoms as you tapered? Or I guess what I’m asking is, do I just keep going even if things don’t stabilize? Because I’ve been waiting for 8 weeks for this .25 to stabilize and it hasn’t. I have days or hours that are kinda ok but overall it’s still a sh@t show. 
Just wondering how low i should set the bar. 
thanks 

[Br...]

I'm not a good example to follow - I was put through a rapid taper by my doctor before I found BB and learned anything about withdrawal and sensible tapering.

1 hour ago, [[B...] said:

what I’m asking is, do I just keep going even if things don’t stabilize?

When we talk about stabilizing during tapering we mean your symptoms are no longer changing in number or intensity and are tolerable enough that you’re able to perform your daily tasks; that your symptoms are tolerable enough you feel ready to make the next reduction.  It means your symptoms have settled into a kind of expected routine. It doesn't mean you don't have symptoms and it doesn't mean you feel good.

The important thing to hold onto is that the symptoms are temporary, that every day your brain is healing and repairing itself, and you are making progress toward recovery. Over time as you heal your symptoms will begin to ease up and eventual fade away.  

• Like 1