Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Lorazepam Taper

[He...]

Hey everyone, 

I started taking lorazepam in 2023. I took 1mg 2x in the ER. Then in Feb 2024 I took 6 pills over the course of a month and then stopped. March 1st is when I begin taking it daily. My doses ranged between 1-3mg. 3mg was about 4-5 weeks before my taper and 1mg a good 2 weeks and then mostly 2-2.5. I started my taper May 22nd. My first drop was from 3mg to 2.75 mg. I held there 10 days. I then dropped again from 2.75 to 2.5 and held for 15 days because I got sick with a cold. I then cut this past Sunday from 2.5 to 2.25. I am cutting 0.25mg every 7 days is the goal. Is this too fast? Will I risk a seizure? The doctors all say it’s safe and very slow. Even an ER doctor said, wow that’s a rather slow taper. My therapist NP and my doctor are both comfortable with this plan. Originally I was given a 5 week taper to get off 3mg. Here’s the thing, I really am considered doing a rapid taper. Like 6 weeks to get off 2.25mg. I’ve been on only 3 months before I started the taper.  This drug has been paradoxical for me. It causes tremors, and intense anxiety, worse than ever before. One time I was on 2mg and updosed to 3mg and I had the worst anxiety of my life; which you would think it would be better. I get manic sometimes on it, and I have rebound anxiety from hell. Ever since I took this med, my panic disorder has worsened. I went from 1-2 panic attacks a week to daily panic attacks sometimes up to 10 a day. I am flipping exhausted. I have internal restlessness, extreme anxiety, mildly sweaty feet and palms, headaches, and one time a static brain wave almost like a pre scynope episode. My brain got very fuzzy and felt like I was going to pass out. I wake up every morning restless and feel like great, am I going to have a seizure. I take propranolol because my heart rate goes crazy all the time. Like I will stand and it goes to 145, possibly have pots. I’m thinking about taking the risk and getting off this flipping drug. It’s making me sick. I have lost over 30 pounds. I am a mother to 4 children under 11. My spouse has lost his job to care for me. I can’t do this anymore, if i taper over 6 weeks will I have a seizure? The doctor just says that’s seen in people who uses very large doses for years. I want to save myself from more damage of this drug going into my body. Every doc said that 6 week taper is plenty. It was me who wanted to try for a three month taper but I can’t keep suffering like this. I can’t drive, I can’t leave my house, I’ve lost friends, this is hell. If I get off this pill I will no longer worry about it killing me. 

[Br...]

Hi @[He...] - I'm so sorry you're having a difficult withdrawal.  I think your body is telling you that you need to slow down your taper and make smaller cuts.  We generally suggest making cuts of no more than 5-10% every 2 week or longer as guided by your symptoms. This is the bet way we know of to keep symptoms as manageable as possible so you can function during your daily life.  

Please continue reaching out for support.  We ask that members we keep all of their taper questions on one single thread. So please ask questions on your original thread linked below.  This allows you to have all of the information in one location, making it easier for you and the members contributing to your thread see the feedback you’ve already been given.  Thank you and a I'll check in with you on the other thread.

[16...]