Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Anesthesia for surgery

[dj...]

Has anyone had surgery during this?  I may need to do it but the use of Propofol scares the crap out of me.  It works through GABA(A) receptors.   But, it’s not a benzo and it only works for a very short period of time.  

Just curious if anyone has had negative reactions.  

[Cr...]

At over 2 years out I had hand surgery and was sedated with midazolam (benzo) and put under with what I assume was propofol. I had no lasting negative effects.

That said everyone is different. Some people are more sensitive to medications. You could have 10 people in this thread telling you they had no bad reactions and another 10 saying they did have bad reactions. Sadly, that only serves to make you no closer to deciding what to do.

If it is a minor surgery that will cause no harm if you put it off then perhaps you could wait until you are further out to have it. If it is a necessary surgery to have as soon as you can then you will have to weigh the need of the surgery against the 'possibility' of having a negative reaction.

[Ma...]

I asked people at BIC about anesthesia for surgery and they said propofol was okay to use.

My dr didn’t listen and used something else, so I can’t comment on any side effects.

[dj...]

Thanks.  If my issue doesn’t clear up in the next week, I’m probably going to relent.  Seems like most people have no issue.  Still worries me though. 

• 3 weeks later...
[Gi...]
On 12/06/2024 at 22:28, [[d...] said:

Thanks.  If my issue doesn’t clear up in the next week, I’m probably going to relent.  Seems like most people have no issue.  Still worries me though. 

Propofol is usually the safest option according to people’s experiences and reports. Look in survivingantidepressants.org.

[pi...]

A lot of people have no ill effects having a one off benzo for surgery. I chose not to have one. Sadly, I’ve had multiple surgery on my shoulder and thoracic region while on benzos, during recover and when healed. Benzos are usually give to relax the patient before going into the operating room. Since I’ve had so many surgeries,  none of my doctors were worried about me being overly anxious. In fact I was joking with the surgeon before my shoulder replacement about the operating table being misnamed a ‘beach chair’. 

It’s important to do whatever makes you comfortable enough to have a successful surgery and recovery. I do very well  with propofol.

[Ti...]

Two years out I had an emergency appendectomy and specifically asked for no benzos due to a compromised CNS. The surgeon and anesthesiologist suggested using fentynal for sedation and everything went fine, however a lot of hospitals and surgery centers are starting to perform opioid free surgeries due to the ongoing opioid hysteria. 

[Cr...]
16 minutes ago, [[T...] said:

Two years out I had an emergency appendectomy and specifically asked for no benzos due to a compromised CNS. The surgeon and anesthesiologist suggested using fentynal for sedation and everything went fine, however a lot of hospitals and surgery centers are starting to perform opioid free surgeries due to the ongoing opioid hysteria. 

I thought changes were made mostly in regards to post-surgery pain management. As in they are less likely to prescribe opioids but more likely to prescribe a combination of less effective pain relievers. Possibly tramadol or less potent medications.

When I last had a wisdom tooth pulled out I was prescribed a few days worth of hydrocodone. Now I know people with the same procedure being told to take aspirin and acetaminophen.

[Ti...]

@[Cr...] it’s both, and has gone too far extreme on the pendulum. I follow it closely because that’s what got me here (forced cessation due to opioids for chronic pain purposes) and I fear the same will start happening to benzo patients more than it already is. Here’s an example:

https://pssjournal.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s13037-022-00346-5#:~:text=The intuitive next frontier for,free anesthesia protocol [10].

People aren’t dying from prescription opioid OD’s. They are dying from tainted street supply because they can’t get safe pharmaceuticals any longer. The whole situation is truly tragic.