Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

7 days left of Taper - how long will I have these withdrawal symptoms?

[Ni...]

I know I've done a pretty fast taper. I am having some strange symptoms. Black outs when standing, electrical zaps in my brain and ears ringing. My taper started at 7 pills a day and right now I am at .5 a day all over 4 weeks. Will these symptoms stop once I am done? I am also going through CBT for agoraphobia and panic attacks. 

[Br...]

Hi @[Ni...] - Significant healing takes place after you take your last dose.  Withdrawal symptoms can be considered a sign of healing so as you continue to heal I think it's very likely you'll continue to experience withdrawal symptoms.  Sorry to have to say this - it comes as a very unpleasant surprise to many of us. It's important to remind yourself that withdrawal symptoms are temporary for the vast majority of us.

You may have some rough days ahead of you but you seem committed to getting through this and you will.

An alternative is to updose with the goal of stabilizing before beginning a slow careful taper.  I don't know if you've considered this.  

From what we see on BB, in general, updosing can be helpful in situations where one has tapered too rapidly.  Bear in mind that it can take a few weeks to stabilize. Updosing does not work for everyone: a potential risk for some is they find themselves at a higher dose than their original dose from which to taper.

So you essentially have two options: continue as you have and tough it out with coping techniques and the understanding that while there may be some rough days, they are generally temporary; or try updosing followed by a slow taper. 

No matter what you decide, we will support you through your withdrawal.