Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Brain zaps?

[Kr...]

Hello. 

The impressions that I have on the back of my head and on my forehead are the so called brain zaps? Any idea on how to fix this? Or to feel better? 

50 Days off mexalozam and almost dropping venlafaxine. 

[Kr...]
Just now, [[b...] said:

what kind of impressions? are they elecrical?

I don’t know… it’s kind of a pressure and then they seem a little bit electrical.  It’s like pain and strange at the same time, never felt something like this 

[be...]
2 minutes ago, [[K...] said:

I don’t know… it’s kind of a pressure and then they seem a little bit electrical.  It’s like pain and strange at the same time, never felt something like this 

mine was like it was like kinda swelling or inflating around my braind and it was kind of electrical.

[Kr...]
1 minute ago, [[b...] said:

mine was like it was like kinda swelling or inflating around my braind and it was kind of electrical.

Yes! Do you still have it? 

[be...]
1 minute ago, [[K...] said:

yes. and it gets worse if i look at the computer, watch or look at the phone

[be...]
2 minutes ago, [[K...] said:

it actually got better than when if first jumped but it doesn't go away after 40 days

[be...]
1 minute ago, [[K...] said:

Its a 24/7 sensation for me… 

me too. if one of the disappears, then another one pops up on the other part.

does it get worse if you look at the phone or computer screen?

[be...]
5 minutes ago, [[K...] said:

No, it’s always the same… 

i see. 

[Ni...]

I have these and looking for answers as well. It’s like an electrical brain freeze for me. Lasts a few seconds and goes away. It happens a few times a day. 

[be...]
Just now, [[N...] said:

I have these and looking for answers as well. It’s like an electrical brain freeze for me. Lasts a few seconds and goes away. It happens a few times a day. 

can you describe the "freeze" feeling?

[Ni...]

It’s like electricity is zapping my brain and for a few seconds I can’t do anything. 

[be...]

It coul

28 minutes ago, [[N...] said:

It’s like electricity is zapping my brain and for a few seconds I can’t do anything. 

If it just shoots out then it might be traditional brain zaps. If it stays there and do some weird things, then it could some of the weird electrical things some of us go through. Mine usually stays there for more then a few seconds.

[Ja...]
3 hours ago, [[K...] said:

Hello. 

The impressions that I have on the back of my head and on my forehead are the so called brain zaps? Any idea on how to fix this? Or to feel better? 

I had brain zaps last November (2023).  I was six weeks post taper.  It seemed to come from outside of me, hit me in the head, go right through me and it was all over in a few seconds.  I was left shocked and stunned.  I think I  had about four over the course of a few weeks. 
I am nine months post taper now.  I never had them again. 
I see you are 50 days off mexalozam, that time line is roughly the same as my own for brain zaps.  I also had two auditory hallucinations at around the same time post taper.  Never had them again.

I found it all very frightening.

[Ja...]

Stopping  or tapering the venlafaxine will give you brain zaps,..most anti ds do,.venlafaxine was particularly quite harsh to stop,.don’t go to quick with that 1 pal

[Cr...]
9 hours ago, [[K...] said:

Hello. 

Almost dropping venlafaxine? Are you gonna drop it via c/t soon or did you taper it and are getting close to a low enough dose to jump?

Edited by [Cr...]

[Kr...]

So I was in a really big depression when I first stop the mexazolam, last November. So in January I reinstate it and start doing the venlafaxine also, as an helper. I was doing 75mg per day. Now I did 4 weeks of 35 mg and I’m going to jump on Sunday to 0.0. I was taking little jumps but the psychiatrist told me that 35 is already a really low dose and that I should jump to 0.0, instead of cutting to little pieces, since they are not going to have any effect. What do you think? 

[Kr...]

Do you think the brain zaps are because of the venlafaxine. ? 

4 hours ago, [[C...] said:

Almost dropping venlafaxine? Are you gonna drop it via c/t soon or did you taper it and are getting close to a low enough dose to jump?

4 hours ago, [[J...] said:

Stopping  or tapering the venlafaxine will give you brain zaps,..most anti ds do,.venlafaxine was particularly quite harsh to stop,.don’t go to quick with that 1 pal

[Cr...]
27 minutes ago, [[K...] said:

Do you think the brain zaps are because of the venlafaxine. ? 

Brain zaps are very common withdrawal symptoms for ssris/snris. There are people that taper their ADs over many months and still get brain zaps.

There are two ways to make it go away. By going back up in dose on your AD until they go away and then taper down from that dose very slowly or by halting your taper until your brain has adapted to the cuts you made so far and then taper the rest slowly.

If you do not want to updose or pause your taper then you only option is to deal with the zaps until they subside over the coming weeks. They may exist for months but will occur less as time goes on and not be as intense as the first few weeks.

You can also experience them at any time during a long recovery from benzos as well, although they seem more common with the aforementioned ADs.

Edited by [Cr...]

[Kr...]
41 minutes ago, [[C...] said:

Brain zaps are very common withdrawal symptoms for ssris/snris. There are people that taper their ADs over many months and still get brain zaps.

There are two ways to make it go away. By going back up in dose on your AD until they go away and then taper down from that dose very slowly or by halting your taper until your brain has adapted to the cuts you made so far and then taper the rest slowly.

If you do not want to updose or pause your taper then you only option is to deal with the zaps until they subside over the coming weeks. They may exist for months but will occur less as time goes on and not be as intense as the first few weeks.

You can also experience them at any time during a long recovery from benzos as well, although they seem more common with the aforementioned ADs.

Do you think that my tapper is too fast? 

[Cr...]
6 minutes ago, [[K...] said:

Do you think that my tapper is too fast? 

For venlafaxine or mexalozam? 

If you are talking about mex I wouldn't worry about whether the taper was too fast at this point because you already reinstated on it once and are 2 months out. If brain zaps are your main issue then you are pretty lucky symptom wise.

How long were you on venlafaxine for in total before you started tapering it?

Edited by [Cr...]

[Kr...]
7 hours ago, [[C...] said:

If you are talking about mex I wouldn't worry about whether the taper was too fast at this point because you already reinstated on it once and are 2 months out. If brain zaps are your main issue then you are pretty lucky symptom wise.

For the AD… since January. I started the tapper 4 weeks ago../ 

[Kr...]
7 hours ago, [[C...] said:

At the moment, my simtoms are blurred vision, sensitive to light, anxiety, headaches 24/7 but thank God I can sleep some hours already!