Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Struggling hard for a really long time. Are detox facilities a good idea for my case?

[he...]

I am practically disabled, suffering with physical and mental symptoms of CFS, with screens, music, reading, and even more rational stuff causing a feeling of “frying brain” like overheating due to overstimulation. I barely have no energy but my brain feels hyper excited and the pre-existing OCD is worse than ever.

I am not that young and this is afflicting my parents. I need to do something because I am barely able to take care of myself and currently the background TV noises from my father's bedroom are wearing me out like it is too much.

To make things worse, I am on 12.5 mg of Valium, 200 mg of pregabalin for a while, both I am holding trying to gain some stability in other ways, and I use Luvox, which interaction may make the half life of diazepam 2.8 fold my current dose.

Given that I am having trouble starting tapering again given the time needed to taper pregabalin and Valium, given the chance of practical withdrawal symptoms, I wonder if I have too much to lose going to a detox facility. At least, I would be free of these substances and have hope for my recovery starting sooner.

What do they do in those clinics? What is the usual protocol and what drugs do they use?

Any success stories? Any experience? I have been on benzos for more or less 7 years and pregabalin for more or less 4 years. Please, consider my context.

Your views and experiences are welcomed.

TIA

[Cr...]

I have no personal experience with detox clinics, but I can share my thoughts from what I have learned.

I view detox clinics as a better option than just doing a cold turkey on your own but not by much. Their goal is to get you off the drugs safely to avoid risky issues like seizures. Beyond that, once you off the meds and immediate acute withdrawal no longer poses a threat, you are basically sent home and are on your own to deal with the real meat of recovery.

Since recoverying from a Detox Clinic is so similar to cold turkey, there is a high chance of reinstatement due to the intensity of withdrawal. If you rely on your own finances or insurance doesn't cover 100% you have wasted money if it fails.

The types of meds they use will be dependent on the drugs they are detoxing you from. I imagine anti-convulsants like phenobarbital for benzos or alcohol. Not sure what they use for Luvox or pregabalin.

• Like 1

[Ca...]

I went in 2016 to a well known rehab for two months. They got me off of valium and suboxone in two weeks. I didnt sleep for eight days. I lasted for two years afterwards in PAWS and then reinstated. Now I am doing a slow taper of over two years and I am sicker than I was after the cold turkey. I was thinking today of going to detox but I think it might kill me. They used librium for the valium taper and gabapentin and then ultimately trazedone and seroquel for sleep. I eventually tapered off of those drugs. I often wonder if I had just hung in there if I would be recovered by now.

[be...]
3 hours ago, [[h...] said:

I am practically disabled, suffering with physical and mental symptoms of CFS, with screens, music, reading, and even more rational stuff causing a feeling of “frying brain” like overheating due to overstimulation. I barely have no energy but my brain feels hyper excited and the pre-existing OCD is worse than ever.

I am not that young and this is afflicting my parents. I need to do something because I am barely able to take care of myself and currently the background TV noises from my father's bedroom are wearing me out like it is too much.

To make things worse, I am on 12.5 mg of Valium, 200 mg of pregabalin for a while, both I am holding trying to gain some stability in other ways, and I use Luvox, which interaction may make the half life of diazepam 2.8 fold my current dose.

Given that I am having trouble starting tapering again given the time needed to taper pregabalin and Valium, given the chance of practical withdrawal symptoms, I wonder if I have too much to lose going to a detox facility. At least, I would be free of these substances and have hope for my recovery starting sooner.

What do they do in those clinics? What is the usual protocol and what drugs do they use?

Any success stories? Any experience? I have been on benzos for more or less 7 years and pregabalin for more or less 4 years. Please, consider my context.

Your views and experiences are welcomed.

TIA

Do you feel electricity in your head when you have the "frying brain?" 

that is what i feel like but idk how many people also have that symptom.