Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

4 week Taper

[Ni...]

Hello, I am so glad I found this site. I wish I would have found it 3 weeks ago. I have a dependency on alprazolam. My Dr., let’s call him the devil had me on 7 pills a day from first appointment for 8 years. I had no idea how bad this stuff was. Pharmacy finally called him on the high dose and he immediately said I need to go to treatment. I went to my PCP and we decided to taper. I have 1 more week of a 4 week taper. Down 10% every three days. I am feeling some weird things, I get like an electric surge through my brain for about 3-4 seconds a few times a day, every time I stand up everything goes black like a head rush and I have to bend over, and my ears are ringing like crazy. I’m ready for this nightmare to be over. It should be illegal to do this to someone! I’m ready to feel normal again after 8 years. 

niki

[Bu...]

Hello @[Ni...],

Welcome to BenzoBuddies.

I'm sorry for all the symptoms that you're dealing with.  I am glad that you have a doctor who is willing to work with you on a taper.  The speed of it though is pretty fast and is probably contributing to your symptoms.  Usually we recommend cutting your current dose by 5-10% every 2-3 weeks and letting your symptoms set the pace.   

There are a couple of great resources that you could share with your doctor, if he/she is open to it:  The Ashton Manual and The Maudsley Deprescribing Guidelines.

Let us know how else we can help you and we're really glad you found us.

• Like 1

[Ni...]

Thank you for the warm welcome. I do feel it’s a fast taper, I’m going through extreme withdrawal symptoms ever 4 days. Day 1/3 is horrible 2/3 gets a gets better and 3/3 is good. Then I start my extreme again. Thank you for the resources you gave me. I sent my Dr a message with them. I honestly don’t feel like my body is mine. Does anyone else have any of these types of symptoms and how do you get through them? 

[Ma...]

You have done a fast taper but the fact that you are having so so and good days is a good sign that you’ll get through this.  While it is best to taper slowly, you may be fortunate to not have severe problems and you’re near the end it sounds like.  What dose are you currently on?

[or...]
7 hours ago, [[N...] said:

Thank you for the warm welcome. I do feel it’s a fast taper, I’m going through extreme withdrawal symptoms ever 4 days. Day 1/3 is horrible 2/3 gets a gets better and 3/3 is good. Then I start my extreme again. Thank you for the resources you gave me. I sent my Dr a message with them. I honestly don’t feel like my body is mine. Does anyone else have any of these types of symptoms and how do you get through them? 

Hi Niki, extremely glad you are here.  This site has been my guiding-light with learning to taper, and to listen and follow things I know I can handle.  A slow micro-taper is what I am doing, but I've had Tinnitus since the beginning, weird feelings that I don't recognize me, even called myself by my name and it was like I was talking to someone else. 

I'm super glad you forwarded the info to your doctor, also, this video might be helpful and the article by Parker I'll attach below.  If your doc is willing to look at this stuff, you may be in way better territory, stick with us here, we'll do all we can to help you, and support you, Oregonlady~Denise :hug:

Also, Keep records of your taper, if you're not already. I think it showed my doctor I was really wanting to do the taper, but needed it slower than he was giving me.  I was trying to do 25% a month, just breaking the tablets with my fingernails, not even weighing.  He didn't know much, and still doesn't, about tapering off a benzo, but he's a good man and has helped me to do it the way I showed him I wanted to :) oregonlady~Denise below is the video I love and article by Parker:

[Ni...]

Thank you all! Wow this support is incredible. I am currently on day 1/3 at .5 mg per day. I break it up into 3 parts per day to help with withdrawal. Today I am nervous to drop. I’ll take .125 this morning and afternoon and .25 this evening. I’ll feel awful today better tomorrow and good on day 3. I’ll still have those strange feelings in my head though. Wish I could get rid of them. 

[Ni...]

Made it through one more day! Small success but I’ll take it. Going to my PCP in the morning to discuss how I’m feeling. Only 6 days to go. You all are teaching me I have a road ahead of me and that’s okay. One day one moment at a time. Talked with my therapist about my CBT for my agoraphobia and panic today. I’m working on baby steps but I’m doing it. I’m getting out and feeling good, not perfect but better. I had a set goal of going back to work in August but realized today I can’t decide that right now. Have to focus on this moment right now. If I have to go on LTD to get through this, so be it. I’m not a failure because of this. I’m getting healthy. So thankful for this group. I finally don’t feel alone. Thank you so much for being so kind. God sends us what we need and I needed you.