Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Official diagnosis

[Al...]

Has anyone ever managed to get an official diagnosis from a doctor acknowledging that their symptoms are caused by benzodiazepine use or withdrawal? 

[Le...]

Only by refusing every other bit of nonsense. forcing the doc to look back and see that none of my issues existed before. still he reports it to my insurance but hedges with anxiety disorder. doesnt report to my gp so likely not really in my record.  

• Like 1

[Al...]

I understand that the doctor who originally prescribed the benzos is highly unlikely to give a diagnosis, but surely there are benzo wise doctors out there who might be willing to give a diagnosis.

According to a very good old friend, who is a Dr and works in ER, Drs will never ever acknowledge any medication can cause problems, even if it was prescribed by someone else. That's what they do to defend each other (and themselves). It's just not done.

The only thing they might do is tell you off the record that benzo wd is real, but never in writing and never so bad or long as we see here.

• Sad 1

[Al...]

@[...] Thanks for the insight. It's so sad that they close ranks like that to protect each other. Surely they should also consider justice and protection for the patient.

[Si...]

Yes and No. In my case things started out with drug induced tardive dystonia from metoclopramide medication (D2 receptor agonist) At first it wasn't recognized, then later the neurologist did recognize it and gave me diagnosis to only remove it later official from the patient portal, but he also listed lorazepam (reason: I was currently on them) as the cause and not the metoclopramide which was partly wrong. eitherway it dont matter as he removed the official diagnosis that he gave in the doctors office anyway.  
years later I went to a different hospital with a 2nd opinion and I fully got the diagnosis easily. they told me they see this more often specially in young healthy people. drug induced tardive dystonia that is caused by metoclopramide. only they had trouble explaining I had suffered from that so long. (we know benzo w/d is responsible for the longevity, I did a slow taper) given the first year I had the most frequent and intensive episodes though hence the metoclopramide, besides the direct cause and effect relation on the same day of taking the drug for stomach issues.  (issues where likely benzo belly, there is more to the story but im going to save you the trouble) anyway, sadly this doc gave the diagnosis based on the fact I had received it earlier by the other doc and her own expertise.
when she found out it was no longer on record it also became a problem kinda and I think she didnt officially gave the diagnosis anymore.

I did manage to win it because by then it was in my medical record at my local doctor and within more files. so they couldnt take it away from me anymore.
but they for sure dont give it out easily can tell you that much :D
But heeej then they haven't met me ;) I have the determination of an elephant, by now I also got a better feel how the medical field operates, know how to present myself and keep the focus at the symptoms, prepare really well on paper and execute it with social skills.  
it costs a lot of energy and also help from my wife putting things on paper.

But we gave them a hella of a ''seemingly polite,  controlled" challenge ;) 

Edited by [Si...]
  • Love 1

[Si...]

The Netherlands. and ye it still kinda stings since its hard to say if I fully got the diagnosis or not like officially. I did receive it by mouth from the doctor within the office like twice. 
That is enough for me as it was more important to know what caused what and that I wasn't suffering from a muscle disorder. also that I wasnt crazy.  I never had the intention of doing the doc any wrong like legally although I was capable. same for the doc that prescribed metoclopramide and like over prescribed it. I am not out to seek any of that. if I where to pay her a visit again it would be to redeem myself and be of lesson as in a warning to others so she takes more care when prescribing any medication. also I was still recovering so prioritizing my own health above anything else. 

I have always been good of heart and whatever faces me isn't going to change that.
besides some much needed angry ventilation at home ofcourse :D or just emotional ventilation like sadness as well. 

Now after years Im going to visit another neurologist soon again though.
because in periods Im still having neurologic symptoms while being 13months in post benzo w/d.
the story aint finished and who knows what will happen for me next :(

Edited by [Si...]
  • Like 2

[En...]
On 09/06/2024 at 23:12, [[A...] said:

Has anyone ever managed to get an official diagnosis from a doctor acknowledging that their symptoms are caused by benzodiazepine use or withdrawal? 

I find my Dr has diagnosed me with every issue but benzo withdrawal. He put in one report I suffer from GAD and previous cannabis use disorder. He focuses on my previous cannabis use and says that is the reason I have anxiety. You cannot disagree with him or he gets upset and starts to put me down by saying I dont know how to look after myself. It used to hurt me to hear that but I am better educated on what is going on with me and I dont take what my Dr says with a grain of salt. He either doesn't understand or he is deflecting. I would hate  to think he doesn't understand being my Dr for over 20 years. I must say he is acting different than I have seen in the past. Perhaps he is afraid I will understand what I am going through and take legal action. I think that is fruitless as they do all protect each other. 

• Sad 1

[jo...]

It's crazy to think this guy and many like him have been practicing for all those years. How many people suffering withdrawl do you think have passed through his office in that time and received no help whatsoever? mabey even damaged further.

• Like 1

[Le...]
53 minutes ago, [[E...] said:

I find my Dr has diagnosed me with every issue but benzo withdrawal. He put in one report I suffer from GAD and previous cannabis use disorder. He focuses on my previous cannabis use and says that is the reason I have anxiety. You cannot disagree with him or he gets upset and starts to put me down by saying I dont know how to look after myself. It used to hurt me to hear that but I am better educated on what is going on with me and I dont take what my Dr says with a grain of salt. He either doesn't understand or he is deflecting. I would hate  to think he doesn't understand being my Dr for over 20 years. I must say he is acting different than I have seen in the past. Perhaps he is afraid I will understand what I am going through and take legal action. I think that is fruitless as they do all protect each other. 

A lot of it is no doctor ever wants to see the harms and noone wants to deal with things when they go wrong. It is very challenging to their faith in their trade. If almost everyone gets sicker would a person who thinks of themself as a healer use any option to view it as something else?  Its is a “mental illness” getting worse. Anything to avoid facing a harsh truth. The horrors created by the trade are greater that anything possible any other way. think a doctor could accept that?  not their fault. they have a mental illness. 

• Like 2

[Le...]

ps pot use causes lots of anxiety and so does a poor lifestyle. 

[En...]
20 hours ago, [[j...] said:

It's crazy to think this guy and many like him have been practicing for all those years. How many people suffering withdrawl do you think have passed through his office in that time and received no help whatsoever? mabey even damaged further.

I have thought that exact same thing. If he does it to me he will do it to others. He has no sympathy for his patience and seem to want to get you in then get you out and not hear from you again until your next appointment. 

• Like 1