Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Our brain cells are seriously being damaged.

[be...]

[be...]
Posted (edited)

Low_Ca2_buffering_and_excitotoxicity_under_physiological_stress_and_pathophysiological_conditions_in_motor_neuron_(MNs).thumb.jpg.d7e782454223fbce28f1cbb3b72997d5.jpg

The theory that says we will be fully healed is wrong.

It says our brain cells are being damaged when glutamate rules our brains.

We might get healed but it wont be 100% of what it was.

Im screwed. Im hopeless.

This demon's pill ruined my life.

Screenshot_20240609_210209_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.6642334fa8198c5463c29c14481a55f8.jpg

Screenshot_20240609_210909_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.94e2dfdc22ef7a989a7d2afbc717c45b.jpg

Screenshot_20240609_210227_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20240609_210921_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20240609_210909_Samsung Internet.jpg

Edited by [be...]

[Ma...]

I recommend you go to Jennifer Leigh’s site and read her most recent post about Cognitive Dysfunction. She speaks in detail about Glutamate.

You will heal. Don’t believe every article you read as it adds fear onto fear.

I would also encourage you to research Neuroplasicity. The brain has an amazing way of creating new neural pathways to compensate for any ‘perceived’ damage.

There are MANY Success Stories from people who CT.

You also didn’t state the source of this article. Again, be leary of what you read. Benzos do NOT cause permanent damage. This is a constant debate here and it’s usually from those deep into withdrawal who are experiencing a lot of side effects including Doom and Gloom.

• Like 6

[Le...]

You are going to be alright. Many of us have been where you are and recovered just fine. Every moment life and its challenges affect our mind and our body compensates. Yours will too. 

[En...]
1 hour ago, [[b...] said:

Low_Ca2_buffering_and_excitotoxicity_under_physiological_stress_and_pathophysiological_conditions_in_motor_neuron_(MNs).thumb.jpg.d7e782454223fbce28f1cbb3b72997d5.jpg

Im screwed. Im hopeless.

Screenshot_20240609_210209_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.6642334fa8198c5463c29c14481a55f8.jpg

Screenshot_20240609_210909_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.94e2dfdc22ef7a989a7d2afbc717c45b.jpg

I dont believe this is true. Our brains may be damaged but it is temporary. That's why we recover. I have never heard of a story that someone stays damaged forever. 

I believe we will all heal with time like a broken arm. We dont have physical damage we have chemical damage from which the brain can heal from. Parts of our brain are still alive. 

Having hope during this process will help you more than reading doom articles. You can find anything on the internet if you look hard enough.

• Like 4

[be...]
11 hours ago, [[E...] said:

I dont believe this is true. Our brains may be damaged but it is temporary. That's why we recover. I have never heard of a story that someone stays damaged forever. 

I believe we will all heal with time like a broken arm. We dont have physical damage we have chemical damage from which the brain can heal from. Parts of our brain are still alive. 

Having hope during this process will help you more than reading doom articles. You can find anything on the internet if you look hard enough.

unlike other parts of our bodies, memories are impaired when brain cells die.

• Like 1

[Le...]

and they fade over time  your mind compensates.  your brain isnt dying. your body is stressed and it wont last forever. it will all be ok finally. 

• Like 2

[Le...]

it is very confusing right now but a good hint is I couldnt remember my birthday or address after surviving a tough situation once. just the stressed state I was in. our emotional state has extreme effects. you arent damaged. 

[Cr...]
1 hour ago, [[b...] said:

unlike other parts of our bodies, memories are impaired when brain cells die.

So are you going to ignore all the people that recovered fully after using higher doses of benzos than you for a longer amount of time?

You can find lots of info about the science behind benzo withdrawal and see lots of interpretations and theories regarding that science. There are brain changes from certain drugs that can be permanent or long-lasting, but those changes are mostly how your body reacts to the drug. That is why you could have someone 4 years out that feels 100% healed but finds a glass of wine still affects them differently than before benzo use. Or you could have someone use a benzo for 1 year, get off no problem. Get back on 3 years later and the benzo doesn't work the same and they now have more difficulty getting off.

Assuming the worst will not help your recovery in any way and will just keep you in a state of panic and defeat. If you assume the plane and car will crash you will never travel. If you assume you will choke you will never eat. If you assume the world will end soon you will never get out of bed. The good news is if you assume you will never recover that won't prevent you from recovering but it will make your journey to recovery more miserable.

Statistics for recovery are on your side. So you can continue to fight on out of hope for the future, or go against statistical reality and wallow in despair that you will be like this forever.

Edited by [Cr...]
  • Like 6

[be...]
7 minutes ago, [[C...] said:

So are you going to ignore all the people that recovered fully after using higher doses of benzos than you for a longer amount of time?

You can find lots of info about the science behind benzo withdrawal and see lots of interpretations and theories regarding that science. There are brain changes from certain drugs that can be permanent or long-lasting, but those changes are mostly how your body reacts to the drug. That is why you could have someone 4 years out that feels 100% healed but finds a glass of wine still affects them differently than before benzo use. Or you could have someone use a benzo for 1 year, get off no problem. Get back on 3 years later and the benzo doesn't work the same and they now have more difficulty getting off.

Assuming the worst will not help your recovery in any way and will just keep you in a state of panic and defeat. If you assume the plane and car will crash you will never travel. If you assume you will choke you will never eat. If you assume the world will end soon you will never get out of bed. The good news is if you assume you will never recover that won't prevent you from recovering but it will make your journey to recovery more miserable.

Statistics for recovery are on your side. So you can continue to fight on out of hope for the future, or go against statistical reality and wallow in despair that you will be like this forever.

i understand what u mean bro. im just in pain... too much torture for taking xanax for 1 month..... i might sound dumb to u. but... it is just hard... im sorry...

[Cr...]
10 minutes ago, [[b...] said:

i understand what u mean bro. im just in pain... too much torture for taking xanax for 1 month..... i might sound dumb to u. but... it is just hard... im sorry...

You don't sound dumb. You sound anxious. And when someone is anxious they may make rash assumptions and are more likely to believe the worst. So it may take other peoples' viewpoints to help that person to see a different perspective or bigger picture.

• Like 5

[De...]

There may be some validity to this chemically but there’s another, way more important part of benzo recovery. Once you taper off and recover, you’re not the same person. Which for many is a good thing. For many, many people, I believe they become the best version of themselves. I’m 90 days benzo free and I feel more in tune with myself than I ever have in my life. The anxiety is still there, but I’ve developed skills to better deal with it, I NEVER did that before the meds. 

Spend more time on the Success Story boards. Your brain will recover. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

[da...]
5 hours ago, [[C...] said:

You don't sound dumb. You sound anxious. And when someone is anxious they may make rash assumptions and are more likely to believe the worst. So it may take other peoples' viewpoints to help that person to see a different perspective or bigger picture.

I hate to admit it but these articles got me thinking real hard. 
yeah sure there are people who have healed . But always when i asked, they never really healed 100% , theres stuff lingering on. 

How can we honestly discredit these articles ?  Im not trying endorse them or put fear in people. Lets have a healthy debate this so we reach a conclusion with some scientific facts , that should give better relief. 

i know i healed at some point in the past, i wasnt 100 percent. 

• Love 1

[Sc...]
20 hours ago, [[b...] said:

Im screwed. Im hopeless.

I agree with this but damage in the form of neurological.

• Like 1

[be...]
11 minutes ago, [[d...] said:

I hate to admit it but these articles got me thinking real hard. 
yeah sure there are people who have healed . But always when i asked, they never really healed 100% , theres stuff lingering on. 

How can we honestly discredit these articles ?  Im not trying endorse them or put fear in people. Lets have a healthy debate this so we reach a conclusion with some scientific facts , that should give better relief. 

i know i healed at some point in the past, i wasnt 100 percent. 

how long was your WD and when did it happen?

[Si...]

Never Underestimate what our bodies can heal from. im telling you I've healed from so much worse and a lot of people can 2nd that. also somethings could be viewed as damage. some as temporarily damage. some as messages that dont get send properly from the brain to the body like errors. so no damage at all or it could be viewed as chemical imbalances within the brain.

A mosquito bite causes a small inflammation reaction in your body, should we call that damage too? see where I am going with this? large or small scale the truth is a lot more nuanced in our biologically self regulating body. Time and good nutrition and healthy lifestyle does a lot. it is your strongest key. achieving neuroplasicity through diet and lifestyle, dont underestimate it. believe in it! life it! support that body in good and bad.

And lastly, we dont know enough about the human brain yet. that can also work in your favor. when studies say its all doom and gloom. and then when we have windows and see proof that our bodies are capable of healing. it kinda changes the story of what you've been reading dont it?

Edited by [Si...]
  • Like 1

[da...]
6 hours ago, [[b...] said:

how long was your WD and when did it happen?

Took me 3 years before i felt functional. Started drinking alcohol and all my symptoms returned. 

[da...]
5 hours ago, [[S...] said:

Never Underestimate what our bodies can heal from. im telling you I've healed from so much worse and a lot of people can 2nd that. also somethings could be viewed as damage. some as temporarily damage. some as messages that dont get send properly from the brain to the body like errors. so no damage at all or it could be viewed as chemical imbalances within the brain.

A mosquito bite causes a small inflammation reaction in your body, should we call that damage too? see where I am going with this? large or small scale the truth is a lot more nuanced in our biologically self regulating body. Time and good nutrition and healthy lifestyle does a lot. it is your strongest key. achieving neuroplasicity through diet and lifestyle, dont underestimate it. believe in it! life it! support that body in good and bad.

And lastly, we dont know enough about the human brain yet. that can also work in your favor. when studies say its all doom and gloom. and then when we have windows and see proof that our bodies are capable of healing. it kinda changes the story of what you've been reading dont it?

You’re absolutely right. I second that. 

[jo...]

I've seen plenty of video diaries on YouTube with worst case scinario's who document themselves getting better..... they get better.

• Like 1

[da...]
2 minutes ago, [[j...] said:

I've seen plenty of video diaries on YouTube with worst case scinario's who document themselves getting better..... they get better.

Its just so weird how you can have a window, feel somewhat normal then fall back and feel horrible. Almost like inhumane, like death. Sucks

• Like 2

[jo...]
1 minute ago, [[d...] said:

Its just so weird how you can have a window, feel somewhat normal then fall back and feel horrible. Almost like inhumane, like death. Sucks

Dave, your the guy who was good for along time then had a setback right?

[He...]

I think you should put a warning that this post is scary to read.I am in total hell today scared crying trembling and have pain all over and about giving up so not fun reading the post.

[Sc...]

I have constant head pressure/tension thats so severe i cannot function and its getting worse. This is due to high dose rapid tapers off multiple drugs 11 years ago. This is permanent damage in my case. No doubt about it these drugs cause permanent neurological damage. 

[fa...]
3 minutes ago, [[S...] said:

I have constant head pressure/tension thats so severe i cannot function and its getting worse. This is due to high dose rapid tapers off multiple drugs 11 years ago. This is permanent damage in my case. No doubt about it these drugs cause permanent neurological damage. 

Do you feel it in your neck too?

[Sc...]
9 minutes ago, [[f...] said:

Do you feel it in your neck too?

Neck is stiff but my head is worse. Tight band around sides, pressure tension squeezing on top. I can feel it on my face too. These drugs cause neuronal changes (neurotoxicity).