Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Xanax - Dizzy, Lightheaded and Blurry Vision

[Di...]

Hi Everyone

This is my first posting, and thank you for letting me join.

I was initially given a prescription from my Dr for Xanax 0.25mg to take for Dental phobia at a time when I had to have work done on my teeth. He also said I could take one if I did anything that caused me anxiety, so for a few years I have been taking the odd one, very well spaced apart.

However my husband became very ill and was hospitalised for 3 months. My anxiety was high at this time and I took Xanax every other night, but only 1x 0.25mg. Sadly my husband died at the end of April, and I then took 1x Xanax x0.25mg every night.

However, I now want to stop taking it, and titred the dose down to half a tablet every night. I have now tried to bring this down to a quarter tablet a night, but this has resulted in suffering dizzy/lightheaded feeling with very blurry vision. Moving my head in any direction, or standing up brings on an episode that can last for hours. I cannot read, work on a screen or drive.

in order to prove this was down to Xanax, by way of an experiment when having a bad time yesterday, I took a full 0.25mg tablet, and 2 hours later my dizziness and vision were fine again.

I have spoken with my Dr about this, and my decision to stop Xanax, but he just said I was okay to titre down. However I am stuck on half a Xanax, as I can’t stand the dizziness that means I can’t go out as I feel so unsteady.

(sorry for the long posting)

@[Di...], hello and welcome to BenzoBuddies! We're glad you've joined us. The peer support&advice here can do lots of good to our members.

So sorry for your sad circumstances. I can also understand your feelings and fears concerning benzo withdrawing. Most of us have gone or are going through them. Imo, your original cut of the dose was too big. In case of benzo, everything should be done carefully and consistently so as to allow for our nervous system to better adjust to its changing back to the benzo free state.

It's usually recommended to reduce by 10-5% of a previous dose holding for 2-3 weeks symptoms oriented. Given your short term benzo use i'd do it quicker but not that quickly as you've done. Do you feel stable on your half a xanax right now? If so, you can try to reduce the dose by and by about the way i mentioned above. I hope other members will soon join in here with their experience and advice.

Good luck to you!)

[be...]
1 hour ago, [[D...] said:

Hi Everyone

This is my first posting, and thank you for letting me join.

I was initially given a prescription from my Dr for Xanax 0.25mg to take for Dental phobia at a time when I had to have work done on my teeth. He also said I could take one if I did anything that caused me anxiety, so for a few years I have been taking the odd one, very well spaced apart.

However my husband became very ill and was hospitalised for 3 months. My anxiety was high at this time and I took Xanax every other night, but only 1x 0.25mg. Sadly my husband died at the end of April, and I then took 1x Xanax x0.25mg every night.

However, I now want to stop taking it, and titred the dose down to half a tablet every night. I have now tried to bring this down to a quarter tablet a night, but this has resulted in suffering dizzy/lightheaded feeling with very blurry vision. Moving my head in any direction, or standing up brings on an episode that can last for hours. I cannot read, work on a screen or drive.

in order to prove this was down to Xanax, by way of an experiment when having a bad time yesterday, I took a full 0.25mg tablet, and 2 hours later my dizziness and vision were fine again.

I have spoken with my Dr about this, and my decision to stop Xanax, but he just said I was okay to titre down. However I am stuck on half a Xanax, as I can’t stand the dizziness that means I can’t go out as I feel so unsteady.

(sorry for the long posting)

i took xanax for just 1 month before I quit and I got all the horrible symptoms. this is horrible