Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Endless withdrawal symptoms

[ne...]

I abruptly stopped taking Ativan three weeks ago by choice as I saw I was needing more and more as it was making me paranoid. The first week was not terrible compared to what I had coming. Then come the end of the first week I had terrible hallucinations in week two and definitely felt I was dying. I basically had every withdrawal problem happen except a seizure (at least I hope that did not happen as the psychosis episode was not great). I really thought by now I would be better. I started taking benzodiazopiens 9 years ago and have been on all of them at some point. I did get off of them last year because no doctor would prescribe me Klonopin and I had my first episode of psychosis leaving me in a hospital since my friends never experienced that before. Worst experience of my life. But then a few months later I got back on the Ativan because I slept about five hours a week for months. I have learned my lesson this time. I have only been on the Ativan since November at 2-3mg a night (sometimes more) so wouldn't all my withdrawal problems be gone by now? I did take a break from the Klonopin so doesn't that make a difference too. I still have terrible tremors, heart palpitations, anxiety, and I haven't slept much at all. I have pain too. I don't know when it's going to end. 

[Bu...]

Hello @[ne...],

Welcome to BenzoBuddies.

I'm sorry that you are dealing with so many withdrawal issues, but it sounds pretty common for a cold turkey.  (We generally don't recommend a c.t. because of all of the symptoms that you've experienced and the risk of seizure.) 

Unfortunately for the time frame that you were taking Ativan, it can take several months for withdrawal symptoms to leave completely.  Physical dependency usually forms in as little as 2-4 weeks of consecutive use.  The good news is that the vast majority of people heal completely from withdrawal given enough time.

I know that it seems like taking a break from the Klonopin should help, but it may actually have made things a little more complicated.  There is a theory called Kindling, that I believe is correct, that says that the more times you start and stop a benzo, the more difficult each withdrawal will be.  Here is a link explaining more about it:  https://www.benzoinfo.com/kindling/

We're glad you found us and we'll do our best to help you through this.

[be...]
3 hours ago, [[n...] said:

I abruptly stopped taking Ativan three weeks ago by choice as I saw I was needing more and more as it was making me paranoid. The first week was not terrible compared to what I had coming. Then come the end of the first week I had terrible hallucinations in week two and definitely felt I was dying. I basically had every withdrawal problem happen except a seizure (at least I hope that did not happen as the psychosis episode was not great). I really thought by now I would be better. I started taking benzodiazopiens 9 years ago and have been on all of them at some point. I did get off of them last year because no doctor would prescribe me Klonopin and I had my first episode of psychosis leaving me in a hospital since my friends never experienced that before. Worst experience of my life. But then a few months later I got back on the Ativan because I slept about five hours a week for months. I have learned my lesson this time. I have only been on the Ativan since November at 2-3mg a night (sometimes more) so wouldn't all my withdrawal problems be gone by now? I did take a break from the Klonopin so doesn't that make a difference too. I still have terrible tremors, heart palpitations, anxiety, and I haven't slept much at all. I have pain too. I don't know when it's going to end. 

do u have electricity in the head or brain zaps too?