Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Got a TMS therapy yesterday

[be...]
Posted (edited)

The Dr checked my brain waves and applied a repression mode with the TMS because he said my brain is too stimulated after benzo WD is off and I can' sleep.

Surprisingly, I slept more last night and tramors got better.

I usually sleep for 2-3 hours a nighr but last night it was like 5 hours. Altough I woke up 3 times.

But I also have very bad side effects.

I got horrible brain zaps. 

I still feel the stimulations from tms after a day.

Can't ride a car. (could drive for 20 min until yesterday. now my brain goes crazy after 5 min now)

lots of electricity on my head and body.

harder to look at the phone or tv

Edited by [be...]
  • Sad 1

[Le...]
Posted (edited)

dont electrocute your brain.  tms induces current in your brain. basically give you small seizures. you arent severely harmed  small currents are always being induced by magnetic fields.   focusing it is terrible.

its all the same story with this trade  treating developed emotional issues as if they are structural or chemical  it is all idiocy.

sometimes drugs help ease pain and help you sort things out. long term use never works.

heal from the drugs then heal from the trauma from the drugs and your original issues.    

Edited by [Le...]
spelling
  • Like 1

[be...]
14 minutes ago, [[L...] said:

dont electrocute your brain.  tms induces current in your brain. basically give you small seizures. you arent severely harmed  small currents are always being induced by magnetic fields.   focusing it is terrible.

its all the same story with this trade  treating developed emotional issues as if they are structural or chemical  it is all idiocy.

sometimes drugs help ease pain and help you sort things out. long term use never works.

heal from the drugs then heal from the trauma from the drugs and your original issues.    

no. that is ECT that induces current in your brain.

tms goes by magnetic field.

• Like 1

[Le...]
Posted (edited)

its the same thing. those nitwits may not know either but moving elec makes mag fields and mag fields move current. two sides of the same thing. 

you just endured a tiny bit of damage and disorganization. likely little worse than a spat of drinking or something but dont let it go on. 

Edited by [Le...]

[be...]
17 minutes ago, [[L...] said:

its the same thing. those nitwits may not know either but moving elec makes mag fields and mag fields move current. two sides of the same thing. 

you just endured a tiny bit of damage and disorganization. likely little worse than a spat of drinking or something but dont let it go on. 

I see

[be...]
6 minutes ago, [[L...] said:

you will be fine

i hope so. but it scsres me..:sick:

[Le...]

no need. i accidentally gave myself ect basically once. was working on a switch and thought i was fine cause insulated and only one wire touching me at a time. well i grounded my head against a heating duct. got a lot more energy through me. likely take 10 in a short time to do any real damage. you will heal fast maybe even by morning. me freaking you out is likely more harmful than 1 hit but dont let it continue. 

[Le...]
Posted (edited)

stop trusting these guys. they really are all almost completely clueless. every “diagnoses” is developed and emotional. you can have structural changes over time cause of elevated states affecting your mind but everything including schizophrenia is something developed. People with quick minds also have heightened emotions and senses almost always. they experience life more strongly and things affect them more. parts of the brain become overactive or inflamed.  the only ever discovered commonalities are level of intelligence and level of trauma.  sensitive people are easily traumatized. 

Edited by [Le...]
  • Love 1

[Le...]

sadly by far the majority of us are just really healthy brains in a very unhealthy world. we have to learn to cope not harm ourselves with the “experts” or trying to find other relief for the pain. both are very common. 

• Like 1

[be...]
8 minutes ago, [[L...] said:

stop trusting these guys. they really are all almost completely clueless. every “diagnoses” is developed and emotional. you can have structural changes over time cause of elevated states affecting your mind but everything including schizophrenia is something developed. People with quick minds also have heightened emotions and senses almost always. they experience life more strongly and things affect them more. parts of the brain become overactive or inflamed.  the only ever discovered commonalities are level of intelligence and level of trauma.  sensitive people are easily traumatized. 

un mean the doctors?

[Le...]

you are vulnerable right now. dont accept anything offered without really thinking it through. they dont mean bad and really think they are helping but be cautious. 

[Le...]

do you consider yourself an emotionally sensitive person?  do you have a few abilities that seem well above average?  can you focus on many things at the same time?  did you have an unstable youth?  unstable or neglectful parents?

these are common things that cause a lot of anxiety and insecurity. I think it is a bit early in recovery for you but these are all important things to consider sometime. 

[be...]
6 minutes ago, [[L...] said:

you are vulnerable right now. dont accept anything offered without really thinking it through. they dont mean bad and really think they are helping but be cautious. 

i see. but u mean the doctors and therapies?

[Le...]
Posted (edited)

i would put effort into almost any therapy you have access to. find what suits your needs. I have no idea where you are at right now but if still tapering or WD is very recent that stuff will be hard. 

Edited by [Le...]

[An...]
Posted (edited)

I tried TMS several years ago. There was no discernible benefit IMO and I would get a slight headache after each session, but YMMV as they say. I had high hopes going in but was really disappointed when no positive therapeutic effects were realized.

IMO, TMS is overrated and is a big moneymaker for providers.

Edited by [An...]
addition
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

@[be...], hi:) Why don't you simply ask your doctor about the issues? I'd ask first thing. A doctor is always responsible for the treatment they suggest.

Can imagine how frightening it must feel. I mean a new therapy, especially when our cns is still at a loss due to WD and unpleasant side effects of the therapy are showing up. Whatever, i think the side effects should subside. Our brain just needs more time to adjust to any new things introduced while being affected by WD. 

Not sure about TMS but, personally, would avoid new treatments atm simply because i believe nothing can help in our state but time. I always bank on it and it works. But, certainly, it also depends on how much your doctor is benzo-wise and wether you trust your doc or not.

Good luck!

• Like 1

[Co...]
13 hours ago, [[L...] said:

Hi @[Le...]

Your 'basically' is so basic that it lacks all nuance. Can TMS potentially induce seizure - yes, but it is rare. However, this is true of many other and useful medical treatments. No part of medicine is exact, and all treatments convey a certain amount of risk of side effects. But there are also risks associated with foregoing treatment. Medicine is complicated; life is complicated; nothing is guaranteed. Just because a treatment is inexact - please note, every medical treatment is inexact - it does not mean it is of no use. As I am sure you are aware, this is why we carry out a risk-benefit assessments.

13 hours ago, [[L...] said:

Of course moving fields induce current. But your original post - again - lacks all nuance and is designed to scare off @[be...] from TMS. Your approach is inappropriate for this community.

This does not mean that there is nothing to discuss around the subject of TMS, or any potential medical treatment for that matter. But it should be a good faith discussion - not one member directing another member in their medical care.

Look. I get that you are attempting to steer away another member from treatments you feel or sense are dangerous. But you are not expert in any of the relevant areas. And even if you were, directing other members in their medical choices via a discussion forum is inappropriate.

If TMS is being used to treat symptoms associated with benzodiazepine withdrawal - it is not entirely clear from this thread if this is the case - I am not aware of any research to support efficacy. But even this would not necessarily mean that it is unsuitable for treating specific withdrawal symptoms. And there is no specific information in your posts which would help me determine this.

It might be worth checking the Wiki page. Wiki is not the be all and end all of course, but it usually is a good starting point for most subjects and normally includes many references (the page on TMS does).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transcranial_magnetic_stimulation

• Like 2

[An...]

PS - IMPO, TMS is safe. I question the efficacy, tho. If it works for you, I say go for it. I was really hoping it would work for me when I did it, but unfortunately, it did not.

2 hours ago, [[b...] said:

i was just that desperate. i was normal until march. i cant believe that taking xanax for 1 month could do it to me. i was so desperate and i just wanted to try anything but med. i was crying and begging for help

I do understand you, @[be...]I was in your shoes once when i not knowing much about benzo, started coming off it. The experience resulted in me being in constant fear and calling ambulance regularly begging for help. I've learned to "respect" benzo since then. They can cause lots of unbearable sensations even taken for a short time but the effects always subside.

I just mean you shouldn't panic over the bad things happening to you at the moment if you have never experienced them prior to WD. 2 months is too short a time for your nervous system to be back to normal. It often takes more time. As i said, i don't know about exactly TMS and whether it's helpful or not but whatever effects you got bc of it, they must pass the same way as the withdrawal symptoms themselves. Do wish you healing!

• Like 1

[Le...]
2 hours ago, [[C...] said:

Hi @[Le...]

Your 'basically' is so basic that it lacks all nuance. Can TMS potentially induce seizure - yes, but it is rare. However, this is true of many other and useful medical treatments. No part of medicine is exact, and all treatments convey a certain amount of risk of side effects. But there is also risks associated with foregoing treatment. Medicine is complicated; life is complicated; nothing is guaranteed. Just because a treatment is inexact - please note, every medical treatment is inexact - it does not mean it is of no use. As I am sure you are aware, this is why we carry out a risk-benefit assessments.

Of course moving fields induce current. But your original post - again - lacks all nuance and is designed to scare off @[be...] from TMS. Your approach is inappropriate for this community.

This does not mean that there is nothing to discuss around the subject of TMS, or any potential medical treatment for that matter. But it should be a good faith discussion - not one member directing another member in their medical care.

Look. I get that you are attempting to steer away another member from treatments you feel or sense are dangerous. But you are not expert in any of the relevant areas. And even if you were, directing other members in their medical choices via a discussion forum is inappropriate.

If TMS is being used to treat symptoms associated with benzodiazepine withdrawal - it is not entirely clear from this thread if this is the case - I am not aware of any research to support efficacy. But even this would not necessarily mean that it is unsuitable for treating specific withdrawal symptoms. And there is no specific information in your posts which would help me determine this.

It might be worth checking the Wiki page. Wiki is not the be all and end all of course, but it usually is a good starting point for most subjects and normally includes many references (the page on TMS does).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transcranial_magnetic_stimulation

I know the research and it is shoddy. I understand the complications and uncertainties of the medical field too. Understand the device really well. could easily build a likely crap version this morning in my garage. I see lots of persons making suggestions about treatments and mine was very intentionally trying to steer him away though I did put in there a comment about putting more consideration in himself. He didnt even know what was being used on him and is likely not in a state to judge well himself.  I see many comments here that encourage or discourage options based on personal opinion. You stated your “inexpert” opinion just as I did. 

[Br...]

@[be...] I'm so sorry you're dealing with rough withdrawal symptoms.  And I'm sorry the TMS doesn't appear to have been helpful.

Severe withdrawal symptoms can really push you to the edge.  Many of us here can identify with the desperation you talk about -  I went through it too.  I was so frightened I would never feel right again but healing happened as it does for the vast majority of us.  You will get through this.   In my opinion some of the most important ways to help yourself heal are to take really good care of yourself, eat healthy food, drink plenty of water, practice relaxation techniques, and moderate exercise in nature every day. You'll find a lot of good ideas on BB for coping with withdrawal symptoms.

Please don't let the alarmist language and anti-doctor sentiments in some of the posts above upset you.  When you're in the thick of intense withdrawal symptoms it's helpful to avoid negativity - you may want to avoid posts and threads here that don't feel positive and supportive.

• Like 4