Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Self Therapy While Recovering

[Le...]
Posted (edited)

Without me really being aware of it while trying to recover my sister was spending large amounts of time talking with me from her bed herself as she fought cancer. She was encouraging lots of lifestyle changes and discussing ideas mostly from Gabor Mates books. The Myth of Normal was one she focused on most. I dont think I would recommend it early on and some of it goes a bit too far imo but looking at your past and coming to terms with some of the things that made you who you are can help you cope better in the future. I think there is a perfect time in each recovery when you are still raw but coping to start doing some introspection.

I decided to pursue a different career in the near future because of this. Something that has always been part of my happiest memories even though I will likely earn half as much and sweat a lot more. I have tonnes of training in things that were easy for me to learn but I never enjoyed. I am going to build houses again and my life will be much happier even if I cant afford a sunday vehicle and the expensive whiskey.

PS. if you are looking for an energy efficient home let me know :)  I am building a demo.  

Edited by [Le...]
  • Like 2

[Bu...]

@[Le...],

This is awesome!  Thanks for writing it.  It's a beautiful thing when we can pull something positive out of this mess that we've found ourselves in.

2 hours ago, [[L...] said:

Without me really being aware of it while trying to recover my sister was spending large amounts of time talking with me from her bed herself as she fought cancer. She was encouraging lots of lifestyle changes and discussing ideas mostly from Gabor Mates books. The Myth of Normal was one she focused on most. I dont think I would recommend it early on and some of it goes a bit too far imo but looking at your past and coming to terms with some of the things that made you who you are can help you cope better in the future. I think there is a perfect time in each recovery when you are still raw but coping to start doing some introspection.

I decided to pursue a different career in the near future because of this. Something that has always been part of my happiest memories even though I will likely earn half as much and sweat a lot more. I have tonnes of training in things that were easy for me to learn but I never enjoyed. I am going to build houses again and my life will be much happier even if I cant afford a sunday vehicle and the expensive whiskey.

PS. if you are looking for an energy efficient home let me know :)  I am building a demo.  

Touches me that there's hope for the future. I'm crying right now.

[En...]
9 hours ago, [[L...] said:

This situation is life changing. We dont take the small things in life for granted anymore. I know when I am done this I will not be the same person as I once was in a good way though. This life lesson has taught me to be a better person. To enjoy every moment you have in life that you feel well. Not to take my health for granted. To do the things in life that make you happy.

You sound like you have learned this life lesson as well. I wish you life wealth and happiness in your new journey. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1