Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

My Dr is not benzo wise

[Ja...]

I don’t think the majority of docs really care nowadays,,.Most have never been in your position ether,.there’s docs on YouTube outing the way other docs go on 

I find that a strange decision trying to updose the Prozac while coming of the other,.Prozacs are very stimulating,.it also reacts with Valium,I’m not to sure about clonazepam

i myself have seen 2 docs and a mental health nurse in the last month,..1 gave me pregabalin,.I took it back within 2 days,.the other doc that I took it back to offered me a antihistamine,that’s the best he could do lol

And the M healt team I seen earlier in the week,with a expected follow up phone call for meds,.I didn’t hear back from,I phoned them today and still didn’t get a call back 

unless you have a doc you have known for years and sees you more than just a number,.the rest are going by the book and don’t give a shit about patients wellbeing,.sometimes I just see a big ego sitting in the docs chair 

• Like 1

[Cr...]
Posted (edited)
48 minutes ago, [[J...] said:

the other doc that I took it back to offered me a antihistamine,that’s the best he could do lol

The problem is no doctor is ever going to tell a patient that has a severe problem coming off a benzo use of just 1 to 2 months to spend the next 6 to 12 months tapering off and then expect 6 to 24 months of PAWS symptoms. Besides people on high doses for a long time that need to come off slowly to prevent seizures, they really don't know what to do for those rare (relative to total users) outliers like us.

When it comes to benzo withdrawal most docs operate under what they learned in med school using guidelines made by Pharma. They also use their own personal experience. So if a doctor had 700 patients during his life come off benzos and only 40 had a rough time, his general mentality is that benzo withdrawal is very doable in an overall sense. And technically he would be right.

While they say we rare, I wonder how many people tapered off at doctor's suggested rate and felt ok but 90 days later were hit with severe PAWs, but it was never connected back to benzos.

Good news is it seems that the newer and younger gen of doctors are now being trained not to prescribe benzos so quickly and to keep to the 2 to 4 week max mark. That still won't prepare them to help patients badly affected by only using for a few weeks. They are being trained to reduce the probability of dependence.

Edited by [Cr...]
  • Like 1

[En...]
43 minutes ago, [[J...] said:

I don’t think the majority of docs really care nowadays,,.Most have never been in your position ether,.there’s docs on YouTube outing the way other docs go on 

I find that a strange decision trying to updose the Prozac while coming of the other,.Prozacs are very stimulating,.it also reacts with Valium,I’m not to sure about clonazepam

i myself have seen 2 docs and a mental health nurse in the last month,..1 gave me pregabalin,.I took it back within 2 days,.the other doc that I took it back to offered me a antihistamine,that’s the best he could do lol

And the M healt team I seen earlier in the week,with a expected follow up phone call for meds,.I didn’t hear back from,I phoned them today and still didn’t get a call back 

unless you have a doc you have known for years and sees you more than just a number,.the rest are going by the book and don’t give a shit about patients wellbeing,.sometimes I just see a big ego sitting in the docs chair 

I am not updosing the Prozac that would throw everything in disarray. I am staying thr course now that seems to be working. I dont mess around with my daily routines anymore just makes things worse.

My Dr was offended that I talked back to him and disagreed. He thinks I am telling him how to do his job. He shut up when I told him it is my body. 

I will be finding a new Dr when all this is over as well I will be writing a letter to Canadian Surgeon General about what I have been through maybe raise some awareness. There is no support here in Canada for this it seems to be unknown to Drs here and there are no rehab for this. There is a meth crisis going on here that seems to have taken center stage. 

I have no choice but to move on and get off this stuff to end this nightmare I cant wake from. 

[Cr...]
Just now, [[E...] said:

I am not updosing the Prozac that would throw everything in disarray. I am staying thr course now that seems to be working. I dont mess around with my daily routines anymore just makes things worse.

My Dr was offended that I talked back to him and disagreed. He thinks I am telling him how to do his job. He shut up when I told him it is my body. 

I will be finding a new Dr when all this is over as well I will be writing a letter to Canadian Surgeon General about what I have been through maybe raise some awareness. There is no support here in Canada for this it seems to be unknown to Drs here and there are no rehab for this. There is a meth crisis going on here that seems to have taken center stage. 

I have no choice but to move on and get off this stuff to end this nightmare I cant wake from. 

So basically he wanted you to:

Jump off .25mg Klonopin now

Increase Prozac by 20 mgs

I never understood why doctors have an issue with patients doing a taper that feels comfortable to them, especially when some of those same doctors would have gladly increased the dose or kept them on benzos indefinitely.

I can understand if a Doctor wants to get a short -term user off before he believes dependence can occur and views a long slow taper as a patients way of trying to stay on the med longer.

But when you have people that have been on benzos for 20 years and they make the choice to come off, all the sudden they must follow a 2 to 4 week taper plan because 1 year or more is far too long in the doctor's mind? At that point why should it matter how long it takes, at least the patient wants to come off.

[En...]
2 minutes ago, [[C...] said:

So basically he wanted you to:

Jump off .25mg Klonopin now

Increase Prozac by 20 mgs

I never understood why doctors have an issue with patients doing a taper that feels comfortable to them, especially when some of those same doctors would have gladly increased the dose or kept them on benzos indefinitely.

I can understand if a Doctor wants to get a short -term user off before he believes dependence can occur and views a long slow taper as a patients way of trying to stay on the med longer.

But when you have people that have been on benzos for 20 years and they make the choice to come off, all the sudden they must follow a 2 to 4 week taper plan because 1 year or more is far too long in the doctor's mind? At that point why should it matter how long it takes, at least the patient wants to come off.

Yes there seems to be little awareness and knowledge from Drs about this. That is troubling to me. No wonders we are all here looking for support. 

[Le...]
1 hour ago, [[E...] said:

There is an interesting “opoid crisis” i winnipeg where it is known that the supply is being cut with some weird benzo i never heard of and noone can figure out when people seem so harmed by it. like they never recover. some are saying it all brain damage from opoid ODing. clueless. 

• Like 1

[En...]
13 minutes ago, [[L...] said:

There is an interesting “opoid crisis” i winnipeg where it is known that the supply is being cut with some weird benzo i never heard of and noone can figure out when people seem so harmed by it. like they never recover. some are saying it all brain damage from opoid ODing. clueless. 

We are the armpit of Canada. 

• Haha 1

[Le...]
Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, [[E...] said:

We are the armpit of Canada. 

I am not a huge fan of the prairies.  have lived on both coasts most of my life and will likely move back west. 

Edited by [Le...]

[En...]
Just now, [[L...] said:

I am not a huge fan of the prairies.  have live on both coasts most of my life and will likely move back west. 

I am from Ontario and I am not a fan of the Prairies either. I never did like it here when I moved here. I went from mountains and Lake Superior and lots of trees to flat and dry. Borig place to live .

[Le...]
Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, [[E...] said:

I am from Ontario and I am not a fan of the Prairies either. I never did like it here when I moved here. I went from mountains and Lake Superior and lots of trees to flat and dry. Borig place to live .

Yea it is what we are used to mostly. I have worked with people here who I sent to N alberta for a while and a couple said it was hard for them to breathe. even the treed roads made them claustrophobic  

I did my first two degrees in ontario. lived there until mid 20s. loafing about guelph mostly. 

Edited by [Le...]

[En...]
1 minute ago, [[L...] said:

Yea it is what we are used to mostly. I have worked with people here who I send to N alberta for a while and a couple said it was hard for them to breathe. even the treed roads made them claustrophobia. 

I did my first two degrees in ontario. lived there until mid 20s. loafing about guelph mostly. 

Love the trees and lakes. Lots of fishing as well. I was from TBay 

[Le...]
Just now, [[E...] said:

Love the trees and lakes. Lots of fishing as well. I was from TBay 

cool. i went 30 years without ever seeing a moose. ran into every other canadian animal pretty much but just never saw one until I was just outside Tbay driving back here. was cool. almost thought they were made up till then. 

• Like 1

[En...]
3 minutes ago, [[L...] said:

cool. i went 30 years without ever seeing a moose. ran into every other canadian animal pretty much but just never saw one until I was just outside Tbay driving back here. was cool. almost thought they were made up till then. 

I have seen lots of people hit mooses on Hwy 1. My dad worked for CN and hit lots of moose on the train. He used to come home from work and tell us about it 

[Le...]

sad. i saw two there in a swamp on side of the hwy. practically swimming and totally unconcerned about me. 

[En...]
Just now, [[L...] said:

sad. i saw two there in a swamp on side of the hwy. practically swimming and totally unconcerned about me. 

The bull moose are aggressive in mating season they will chase and stomp you 

[En...]
20 hours ago, [[L...] said:

Well if you ever need a bit of a helping hand I am here. I can only offer so much and dont want my family involved any further as this has been hard enough on them but I will always have some time to help a person in recovery. 

I know what you are saying about your family. My family has been impacted as well during this. I was the one who fixed everything and held everything together. During the past few months I have been foggy brained and emotionally blunted so i have been keeping to myself. 

I do notice as I am getting down in my dose I am getting clear minded with each cut. My family needs me to be back to how I was before. I had to explain what was going on with me. I stopped talking to my family and was quiet. I didnt feel like doing anything. My wife got very stressed out. I had to take off work these past few months and I am needed at my job i do it alone no one knows what i do. 

I am a very active and handy person. This has made me a shell of a man i used to be but like i said i feel my old self coming back as i get off this poison.

• Like 2