Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

My Dr is not benzo wise

[En...]

I just came home from seeing my Dr and I told him I am down to 0.25mg clonazepam. He told me to just quit it as it is such a low dose. I told him I will get really sick if I do that and he told me it will pass you need to get off. 

I told him I wanted to go 10% reductions and he told me I was telling him what to do. He does not support my wishes to come off slower. He said that's not how withdrawal works and said I was suffering from my anxiety. He then increased my Prozac dosage. 

How can only anxiety cause me all these withdrawal symptoms and then get better over the course of 2 weeks?

My Dr is now annoyed with me because i won't listen to him. He just wants me to stop 0.25mg. I guess either he doesn't care about my health and wellbeing or he thi is he is God. I have seen on here other members who have an unsupportive Dr. He told me I dont know how to take care of myself because I needed clonazepam. Now I feel remorse for arguing with him about this. I told him it is my body and I know how I feel. I feel just awful now. Like I am  not heard. 

• Like 1
  • Angry 4

[Ma...]

Can you bring him a copy of the Ashton Manual and ‘kindly’ suggest he help you follow these guidelines?

If you live in the US you can search for a new psychiatrist on Psychology Today by insurance. Email all of them accepting new patients that you need help tapering a benzo.

Also, hoard your pills and lie if you have to to keep a supply so you can properly taper.

[kn...]

I’m sorry to say that this is a pretty typical problem with providers when it comes with withdrawal of benzodiazepines.  I’ve been accused of Dr. shopping and medical noncompliance. My. psychiatrist was a danger to his patients and an embarrassment to the agency that he worked for.  In order to get away from him I had to work through my therapist and get in touch with the administration. I was interviewed and placed with a new provider.  The. new provider is the first female that I have dealt with in the medical field as far as behavioral health is concerned.  The first question she asked me was what I knew about the Ashton manual. She then asked me if I had a scale and knew how to weigh and shave pills.  Things have been much different and better under her guidance.  It was a rough road. my old provider was vindictive and left horrible reviews of me in my medical folder. Needless to say I don’t care.  I’m just glad to be out from under his authoritative control .You need to be your own advocate.  You may have to separate yourself from him as a patient.  Good luck with it all.

• Like 1

[En...]
1 minute ago, [[M...] said:

Can you bring him a copy of the Ashton Manual and ‘kindly’ suggest he help you follow these guidelines?

If you live in the US you can search for a new psychiatrist on Psychology Today by insurance. Email all of them accepting new patients that you need help tapering a benzo.

Also, hoard your pills and lie if you have to to keep a supply so you can properly taper.

He won't listen to me he thinks I am telling him how to do his job already. If I listen to him I will get really sick and probably have to updose. I am not listening to him. I have enough pills to get off. He did ask mr at the end of the visit if I had enough clonazepam. As long as he goes along with me he can be as mad as he wants. 

I live in Canada and it takes 8 to 9 months to see a psychiatrist. Yiu need a referral from your Dr. 

This is turning into a mess and I feel unsupported and abused. Acussed of not looking after myself. 

• Like 1

[Ma...]

Almost everyone, well too many, experience this.

Let him ramble, accuse you and defend himself without a response. Bring the Ashton Manuel and simply state that your body is yours, you feel confident this is the best way for you to taper the medication he prescribed. And although you are grateful for the time he has spent ‘helping’ you, you just need him to work with you a little longer.

Do not take it personally. He’s a bullie and just doesn’t know any better.

Come up with your own specific taper plan and/or get help here on the taper thread-there are literal experts there. And bring that plan with you. YOU have to do the work.

And lie, lie, lie if you have to, to keep a large enough amount of pills. You should probably jump off a crumb, like .002.

• Like 1

[En...]
1 minute ago, [[M...] said:

Almost everyone, well too many, experience this.

Let him ramble, accuse you and defend himself without a response. Bring the Ashton Manuel and simply state that your body is yours, you feel confident this is the best way for you to taper the medication he prescribed. And although you are grateful for the time he has spent ‘helping’ you, you just need him to work with you a little longer.

Do not take it personally. He’s a bullie and just doesn’t know any better.

Come up with your own specific taper plan and/or get help here on the taper thread-there are literal experts there. And bring that plan with you. YOU have to do the work.

And lie, lie, lie if you have to, to keep a large enough amount of pills. You should probably jump off a crumb, like .002.

Yes I have a taper plan already and good support here. This is my only support system. I have lots of clonazepam and am only taking half a 0.5mg tablet daily. 

I did tell him it is my body. He didnt like that response. I have a plan and will get off this drug my way. It is terrible how these Drs will talk to you. Make you feel like this is all your fault when they are the ones who put us in this position. I guess it is gaslighting. 

[Ca...]

Personally, I would discontinue trying to persuade him with the facts because you don't want to run the risk of losing him as a prescriber.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, [[E...] said:

... I am not listening to him. I have enough pills to get off. He did ask mr at the end of the visit if I had enough clonazepam. As long as he goes along with me he can be as mad as he wants...

...Yes I have a taper plan already and good support here. This is my only support system...

Hi, @[En...]) Whatever, lmo, your thinking is really wise.  My doctor didn't believe in benzo withdrawal either, although she was curious to listen to my ideas but never convinced. Since she really helped me with my headaches and was ready to prescribe a reasonable amount of benzo if i needed, it was ok with me. My true support during this hard time has been my fellow sufferers only. We do understand and believe esch others.

Please, don't take it too personally. I guess doctors, especially good ones, are also learning through our experience and not at once. I read Dr Ashton was completely at a loss at the begining of her career  when a woman came and told her about some "nasty" pills.

Hung in here. It really helps!)

• Like 2

[PE...]
11 hours ago, [[E...] said:

I just came home from seeing my Dr and I told him I am down to 0.25mg clonazepam. He told me to just quit it as it is such a low dose. I told him I will get really sick if I do that and he told me it will pass you need to get off. 

I told him I wanted to go 10% reductions and he told me I was telling him what to do. He does not support my wishes to come off slower. He said that's not how withdrawal works and said I was suffering from my anxiety. He then increased my Prozac dosage. 

How can only anxiety cause me all these withdrawal symptoms and then get better over the course of 2 weeks?

My Dr is now annoyed with me because i won't listen to him. He just wants me to stop 0.25mg. I guess either he doesn't care about my health and wellbeing or he thi is he is God. I have seen on here other members who have an unsupportive Dr. He told me I dont know how to take care of myself because I needed clonazepam. Now I feel remorse for arguing with him about this. I told him it is my body and I know how I feel. I feel just awful now. Like I am  not heard. 

It's how they deal with this most of them. 

Can you get another doctor? Can you order from somewhere?

[Ar...]

At least hubbys doctor was honest and said she doesn't know how to.

She provided the needed tapper amounts though.

I mentioned the Ashton manual. For the next poor soul I hope she took it to heart.

• Like 2

[En...]
Posted (edited)

Thank you everyone for your support. I already feel guilty about this situation and he made it much worse. I will get over this with some time but I am done trying to convince people of what I am going through. It truly is a lonely experience. They couldn't believe I was still on the same dose for a month. I am holding my dose to stabalize. He thinks I have anxiety stopping the meds because of my last bad experience. He won't listen. I will get through this on my own. I will come out a stronger person. 

Thank you buddies for your support. We are all going through this together and only we understand each other. 

Edited by [En...]
  • Like 1

[En...]
13 hours ago, [[k...] said:

I’m sorry to say that this is a pretty typical problem with providers when it comes with withdrawal of benzodiazepines.  I’ve been accused of Dr. shopping and medical noncompliance. My. psychiatrist was a danger to his patients and an embarrassment to the agency that he worked for.  In order to get away from him I had to work through my therapist and get in touch with the administration. I was interviewed and placed with a new provider.  The. new provider is the first female that I have dealt with in the medical field as far as behavioral health is concerned.  The first question she asked me was what I knew about the Ashton manual. She then asked me if I had a scale and knew how to weigh and shave pills.  Things have been much different and better under her guidance.  It was a rough road. my old provider was vindictive and left horrible reviews of me in my medical folder. Needless to say I don’t care.  I’m just glad to be out from under his authoritative control .You need to be your own advocate.  You may have to separate yourself from him as a patient.  Good luck with it all.

I have been seeing this Dr since I was in my 20s. He has always been a good Dr all my life. He knows my family history as he also sees my other family members. However I have noticed a recent change in him or he has always been like this and I just didnt notice. He is condescending and arrogant to me because I have a mental illness. The funny thing is when I was smoking weed he prescribed it to me when it was illegal. Now he is using that against me gaslighting me.

I feel he is deflecting the blame to me. He said I asked for the pills. He is the prescriber. He should have known to cut me off. If I asked got oxycontin would he give that to me too? 

[jo...]
1 hour ago, [[E...] said:

I have been seeing this Dr since I was in my 20s. He has always been a good Dr all my life. He knows my family history as he also sees my other family members. However I have noticed a recent change in him or he has always been like this and I just didnt notice. He is condescending and arrogant to me because I have a mental illness. The funny thing is when I was smoking weed he prescribed it to me when it was illegal. Now he is using that against me gaslighting me.

I feel he is deflecting the blame to me. He said I asked for the pills. He is the prescriber. He should have known to cut me off. If I asked got oxycontin would he give that to me too? 

I would maybe try to find another doctor. I haven't been seeing a doctor but am considering it. I'm slightly conserned I won't get the right kind of help though because of other peoples experiences.

[En...]
16 minutes ago, [[j...] said:

I would maybe try to find another doctor. I haven't been seeing a doctor but am considering it. I'm slightly conserned I won't get the right kind of help though because of other peoples experiences.

I am going to drop this Dr when this is all over. It is very difficult to find a good Dr in Canada.

[He...]

I went through this with a new doctor. She told me to take a pill one day and not the next. I honestly came on here to learn what to do and reduced slowly on my own by percentage every 5-6 weeks. Some doctors honestly have no idea how hard it is. You need to do what is right for your body. Don't feel bad for sticking up for yourself. 

• Like 1

[Le...]
Posted (edited)

I am proud of you Eng. Something that may interest you though is the medical consultant handling my complaint is very aware. The college of physicians in MB is aware. The doctor that CTed me has given lectures at the univ here about the dangers of prescribing and deprescribing even.  I was just too inconvenient for him to deal with. There is an awareness.  

Edited by [Le...]
  • Like 1

[En...]
26 minutes ago, [[L...] said:

I am proud of you Eng. Something that may interest you though is the medical consultant handling my complaint is very aware. The college of physicians in MB is aware. The doctor that CTed me has given lectures at the univ here about the dangers of prescribing and deprescribing even.  I was just too inconvenient for him to deal with. There is an awareness.  

I will be writing a letter to the surgeon general. These Drs are going to hurt someone mentally one day talking to them the way I was talked to. He made the mistake and he is gaslighting me into thinking it is my fault. I live in MB as well. Maybe we have the same Dr lol. I feel sorry for anyone going  through this with my Dr. He has no remorse. Just take the pills I prescribe you that is your job. 

[Le...]
Posted (edited)

In the peg?  sounds like it is your gp!?  If you want them sorted out then there is an online process to complain through the college of physicians. state what you object to and the result you want.  like them being made more aware of these dangers. dont expect a good response. i got more words about how it is too late for a lawsuit from that terrible man than the acknowledgement of what he had done. 

I did mention in my complaint that he should be sued into poverty or some nonsense. I was too enthusiastic. 

Edited by [Le...]

[En...]
1 minute ago, [[L...] said:

In the peg?  sounds like it is your gp!?  If you want them sorted out then there is an online process to complain through the college of physicians. state what you object to and the result you want like them being made more aware of these dangers. dont expect a good response. i got more words about how it is too late for a lawsuit from that terrible man than the acknowledgement of what he had done. 

Yes the peg. I have gone through that course once before with no positive outcome. The Drs in Canada are protected it seems like the cops are. I will bring up my feelings about what I went through and how these medications are prescribed. Maybe if enough of us do this there will be more awareness. It's a shame you can screw up in your job and affect other people's lives and get no repercussions. 

[Le...]

yea it isnt a great situation. I have only gotten a few questions asked me by admin for the consultant and a comment on the response so far when I asked for an update. some group is meeting on it before I get a formal response. 

[En...]
2 minutes ago, [[L...] said:

yea it isnt a great situation. I have only gotten a few questions asked me by admin for the consultant and a comment on the response so far when I asked for an update. some group is meeting on it before I get a formal response. 

And you know the state our healthcare system is in. We are being failed by our leaders. 

[Le...]

Well if you ever need a bit of a helping hand I am here. I can only offer so much and dont want my family involved any further as this has been hard enough on them but I will always have some time to help a person in recovery. 

• Like 1

[En...]
Just now, [[L...] said:

Well if you ever need a bit of a helping hand I am here. I can only offer so much and dont want my family involved any further as this has been hard enough on them but I will always have some time to help a person in recovery. 

Thank you for your support. Only someone like you know what this I'd like to go through. I hope you recover 100% and get the awareness you are looking for. I will be with you on this very soon when I recover.