Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

17 months update: insomnia, neuropathy, etc

[Su...]

Well, I haven't been here in a minute, as the kids say.  

Since starting an uninformed, unsupervised, tragic taper in February 2023, I have come a long way towards getting healthy. 

Along the way in the last year, I jettisoned all of these drugs and crutches...

1. klonopin
  2. lithium
  3. furosemide
  4. allopurinal
  5. nighttime supplemental O2
  6. levothyroxine
  7. ambien

As a result I am feeling clearer and healthier than I have in decades.  I began my polypharmacy journey in 1998. Having some perspective now, I can see that it drastically impacted my life in a negative way.  Other drugs I was prescribed over the years included trileptal, geodon, neurontin, lamictal, and many many more. This all started after finishing a PhD and feeling anxious and a psychologist Dx'd me BPII !

Therapy within the last 9 months, focused on my childhood trauma, has revealed the real reasons for my feeling so overwhelmed so many years ago.  I never should have been drugged like I was. Rather, I just needed a good therapist who recognized trauma and PTSD.

So, I now want to caveat what I have written, that in combination of slow elimination of meds and therapy, I have arrived at this point.  Don't rush in until you are ready. 

Specifically, my klonopin and ambien discontinuation completely nuked me.  I have written many other posts about that.

Today I am reporting my primary prolonged withdrawal symptoms as:

• insomnia (slowly improving to maybe 4-5 hrs per night, uninterrupted)
  • intrusive thoughts (a constant drumbeat but getting fainter)
  • constipation ( i feel as though my bowels have almost completely stopped)
  • peripheral neuropathy (has re-emergaed strongly in the last month in my feet and sometimes hands)

Question for others -  given that I am otherwise feeling so much improved, it doesn't make sense to class the relatively recent recurrence of neuropathy as stemming from a systemic issue. So, any thoughts on how to treat this? I attribute many of these symptoms to what is essentially a huge chemical imbalance (vitamins, minerals, etc) that wreaks havoc on the body during/post withdrawal, so maybe I can supplement somehow?  FYI - I have taken NMN since January, but stopped this week due to the neuropathy. I will see if they are related.

All for now.

SC

• Like 1

[Br...]

Hi @[Su...] - it's good to see your update and to know you're feeling much better in many ways. I'm sorry you're experiencing some withdrawal symptoms; insomnia, intrusive thoughts, and constipation.  I haven't seen all of your history but I gather you were tapered too rapidly. I'm sorry you were put through this and that you are suffering the consequences.  .

I don't see it as a given that your neuropathy is related to withdrawal.  In my opinion it's important to see a neurologist to rule out other causes.  I say this because I too developed peripheral neuropathy during withdrawal.  It was so uncomfortable I spoke to my PCP about it who referred me to a neurologist.  I had a battery of tests including blood tests and lo & behold a blood test revealed my B6 blood levels were off the charts.  As advised I immediately cut out supplements with B6.  I had read somewhere that mega doses of B vitamins were helpful in reducing anxiety and so I'd been taking a daily supplement with massive doses.  It was yet another lesson in not relying on a single anonymous person on the internet for advice in how to self diagnose and treat yourself!  It wasn't long after I quit the B supplements that the neuropathy vanished.  I'm not saying this because this is your situation - again, my point is that in my opinion it's worthwhile for you to get checked out by a neurologist.

I don't know anything about NMN other than its popular supplement.  It doesn't appear on BIC's list of Medications and Supplements of Concern on Benzodiazepines, During Cessation and After Withdrawal.

• Like 1

[Su...]

Thank you @[Br...]!

Interestingly you point out the B vitamins! As it turns out, NMN is a precursor to NAD+ , which is part of the B vitamins.

I thik we are onto something here...

• Like 1

[sh...]

I also still suffer from neuropathy.. I had my blood test done and it shows a  very low B6,5,3,1,7… I try to eat food high in these vitamins as I am too afraid to supply them. 

Or should I supply them!???

Has anyone improved by taking supplements?

Thanks 🍀

• Like 1

[An...]
12 hours ago, [[S...] said:

Well, I haven't been here in a minute, as the kids say.  

Since starting an uninformed, unsupervised, tragic taper in February 2023, I have come a long way towards getting healthy. 

Along the way in the last year, I jettisoned all of these drugs and crutches...

1. klonopin
  2. lithium
  3. furosemide
  4. allopurinal
  5. nighttime supplemental O2
  6. levothyroxine
  7. ambien

As a result I am feeling clearer and healthier than I have in decades.  I began my polypharmacy journey in 1998. Having some perspective now, I can see that it drastically impacted my life in a negative way.  Other drugs I was prescribed over the years included trileptal, geodon, neurontin, lamictal, and many many more. This all started after finishing a PhD and feeling anxious and a psychologist Dx'd me BPII !

Therapy within the last 9 months, focused on my childhood trauma, has revealed the real reasons for my feeling so overwhelmed so many years ago.  I never should have been drugged like I was. Rather, I just needed a good therapist who recognized trauma and PTSD.

So, I now want to caveat what I have written, that in combination of slow elimination of meds and therapy, I have arrived at this point.  Don't rush in until you are ready. 

Specifically, my klonopin and ambien discontinuation completely nuked me.  I have written many other posts about that.

Today I am reporting my primary prolonged withdrawal symptoms as:

• insomnia (slowly improving to maybe 4-5 hrs per night, uninterrupted)
  • intrusive thoughts (a constant drumbeat but getting fainter)
  • constipation ( i feel as though my bowels have almost completely stopped)
  • peripheral neuropathy (has re-emergaed strongly in the last month in my feet and sometimes hands)

Question for others -  given that I am otherwise feeling so much improved, it doesn't make sense to class the relatively recent recurrence of neuropathy as stemming from a systemic issue. So, any thoughts on how to treat this? I attribute many of these symptoms to what is essentially a huge chemical imbalance (vitamins, minerals, etc) that wreaks havoc on the body during/post withdrawal, so maybe I can supplement somehow?  FYI - I have taken NMN since January, but stopped this week due to the neuropathy. I will see if they are related.

All for now.

SC

What is NMN?

[Su...]

NMN is a supplement that is supposed to promote cell repair and, some think, longevity.

When you take NMN, the body breaks it down into NAD+ , which does the cell-level work.

[or...]
2 hours ago, [[s...] said:

I also still suffer from neuropathy.. I had my blood test done and it shows a  very low B6,5,3,1,7… I try to eat food high in these vitamins as I am too afraid to supply them. 

Thanks 🍀

I take magnesium, and it helped with burning pain in my toes, and also, leg and foot cramps.  I also take B's, and but no multi as I needed to get what I believe is the right dosage.  Multi's tend not to have that according to my reading.  But a multi could be better than nothing.

I also have T2 Diabetes/Insulin Resistance so not sure if my toe-pain and cramping is from that, or the benzo's Tolerance WD, or my tapering wd sxs, oregonlady :hug:

[sh...]

Thank you for your reply❣️Actually I started to sneak in magnesium in a very low dose two days ago. 

Hope the burning and all the other pain will soon go for all of us 🙏🍀

[Br...]
5 hours ago, [[s...] said:

Thanks 🍀

It's possible to over supplement some vitamins by taking doses that are too high.  As I mentioned above Vit. B6 toxicity caused my neuropathy - luckily it was reversible and my neuropathy went away when I stopped taking mega doses of B6.  I would ask your doctor about what levels of supplements you should take.

• Like 1

[fa...]
8 hours ago, [[s...] said:

Thank you for your reply❣️Actually I started to sneak in magnesium in a very low dose two days ago. 

Shamrock, I just read through your story. You seem to be in such great spirits even with all thrown at you. I don't really have burning but I do have tbe stiffness.  Has your neuropathy gotten any better for you?  I did try myofascial and it did help.  

[fa...]
8 hours ago, [[s...] said:

Also my most major issues started with lexapro but I suspect the 6 pills of ambien I took had something to do with it. 

[An...]

IMO, vitamin supplements and minerals (micro-nutrients) are completely unnecessary if you are eating a healthy diet. The only exception is B12 if you are a strict whole food, plant based vegan. Unless a blood test can demonstrate a deficiency, supplements are a waste of money, unnecessary, and can be dangerous in some situations.