Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

You are going to get better!

[Sw...]
Posted (edited)

Hey guys! Just wanted to say that you WILL get better! You know what won’t help? If you are constantly focused on how bad everything is. This will sound too simple and stupid to even try but would you try it?? Start with just 5 minutes a day believing you’re going to get better, then up it to 6 minutes, 7, 10, 20, 30, keep going. 

you’re brain is not able to make new neural pathways when it’s not being asked to do so. If we stay fixated on bad, we won’t be building new walls in the reconstructed house that is our brain! 

this is, I believe, an integral part of our healing. Your brain will eventually change because it’s constantly changing, but you’re impeding your healing when you won’t let it think about new things! 

when I healed last time it’s because NEW things were happening in my life that forced my brain to shift… 

well you can do that too with just the power of thought! I know it’s super annoying I’d say this. I am annoyed myself saying it but I believe it! I’m the first person who’d take a quick fix over thinking my way out, but there’s no quick fix, so what harm can be done if I just focus on feeling better!!!!!!?????

Say “hey limbic system thanks for how much you’ve been working hard to keep me safe, but it’s making me unwell, and now I need you to trust me. I am going to take us on a journey together filled with healing. I need you to trust that I have everything under control, and ask you to settle down, calm down, and stop worrying. It’s time to take a break, things are going to get better, I believe in healing. We are starting to heal right this moment.”

if you can say this to yourself every time you get afraid, worried, or feel a symptom, eventually you will override the limbic systems automatic response to stress. I believe you will start to feel better. We can’t heal as efficiently when we’re stressed all the time. You need to fight the desire to be afraid. 

Edited by [Sw...]
  • Like 3

[En...]
52 minutes ago, [[S...] said:

Hey guys! Just wanted to say that you WILL get better! You know what won’t help? If you are constantly focused on how bad everything is. This will sound too simple and stupid to even try but would you try it?? Start with just 5 minutes a day believing you’re going to get better, then up it to 6 minutes, 7, 10, 20, 30, keep going. 

you’re brain is not able to make new neural pathways when it’s not being asked to do so. If we stay fixated on bad, we won’t be building new walls in the reconstructed house that is our brain! 

this is, I believe, an integral part of our healing. Your brain will eventually change because it’s constantly changing, but you’re impeding your healing when you won’t let it think about new things! 

when I healed last time it’s because NEW things were happening in my life that forced my brain to shift… 

well you can do that too with just the power of thought! I know it’s super annoying I’d say this. I am annoyed myself saying it but I believe it! I’m the first person who’d take a quick fix over thinking my way out, but there’s no quick fix, so what harm can be done if I just focus on feeling better!!!!!!?????

Say “hey limbic system thanks for how much you’ve been working hard to keep me safe, but it’s making me unwell, and now I need you to trust me. I am going to take us on a journey together filled with healing. I need you to trust that I have everything under control, and ask you to settle down, calm down, and stop worrying. It’s time to take a break, things are going to get better, I believe in healing. We are starting to heal right this moment.”

if you can say this to yourself every time you get afraid, worried, or feel a symptom, eventually you will override the limbic systems automatic response to stress. I believe you will start to feel better. We can’t heal as efficiently when we’re stressed all the time. You need to fight the desire to be afraid. 

I believe in this as well. The power of thought is very strong. Being positive and accepting what needs to be done to get through this does help.

When you are in the thick of withdrawal and have bad symptoms it can be difficult to be positive at that moment. It is scary and stressful. That's when you need to be your strongest. Your will power needs to be stronger than the negativity we feel at those times. 

One thing for sure is we will all heal. We will endure and succeed. We are the strongest people because we have to be. When this is all over we will be able to handle anything that comes our way because we have been to hell and back. 

• Like 1

[Sw...]

@[En...] YES for sure it’s when we have flare ups we immediately revert back to pessimism because we have these hardwired responses in the limbic system saying oh crap stress! Panic! 

what I’ve been taught is you HAVE to practice calm when things are calm so that you’re primed when things go south. 

I’ve been so up and down on this journey with feeling despair to hope. I’m just not one to give up I suppose. I’ll keep finding ways to overcome :)

• Like 1

[Ct...]
22 minutes ago, [[S...] said:

@[En...] YES for sure it’s when we have flare ups we immediately revert back to pessimism because we have these hardwired responses in the limbic system saying oh crap stress! Panic! 

what I’ve been taught is you HAVE to practice calm when things are calm so that you’re primed when things go south. 

I’ve been so up and down on this journey with feeling despair to hope. I’m just not one to give up I suppose. I’ll keep finding ways to overcome :)

Thanks @[Sw...].  I’m going to “practice calm when things are calm” so that I will be ready when symptoms get worse.

• Like 1

[Sw...]

@[Ct...] you can do it! Do you have any go to relaxation techniques to tell your body you’re safe? 

[Ct...]
3 hours ago, [[S...] said:

@[Ct...] you can do it! Do you have any go to relaxation techniques to tell your body you’re safe? 

@[Sw...] I recently learned about diaphragmatic breathing and Ocean breath for the vagus nerve.