Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Biweekly Valium/Clonazepam/Valium Usage for ~2 months. Is Taper Needed?

[bu...]
Posted (edited)

Hi all, I've been using Clonazepam/Valium on a bi-weekly cadence since the beginning of April, with 2 additional uses in March. I ended up switching over from Clonazepam to Valium in mid April due the muscle relaxant properties of Valium. With that said, I wanted to show my usage log and needed some advice if tapering is needed since my psychiatrist doesn't seem to think so. I am mainly worried about the reactive tinnitus I somehow acquired while using Valium (4/30 right ear & 5/10 left ear) getting worse. They are already reactive to nearly every sound, but I'd afraid of the reactive tones multiplying since I already have multi-tonal tinnitus. I am also a bit cautious since I planned to taper a separate drug (Gabapentin) down 100mg each week starting later this week.

Please note I'm also on 900mg Gabapentin along with 100mg Riluzole.

Edit: I do not feel any withdrawal symptoms other than the reactive tinnitus being very unstable. Each morning when I wake up is different. With Clonazepam my T would quiet for 6-8 hours and the tinnitus sometimes have a rebound that day or later the next. With Valium, my tinnitus seemed to be worse when I had it (getting new temporary or permanent tones) then be extremely quiet the next morning. 

March

• 3/7 .25mg Clonazepam
  • 3/22 .5mg Clonazepam

April

• 4/2 .5mg Clonazepam
  • 4/5 .75mg Clonazepam
  • 4/14 .25mg Clonazepam
  • 4/15: .5mg Clonazepam
  • 4/19 5mg Valium
  • 4/22 5mg Valium
  • 4/26 5mg Valium
  • 4/29 5mg Valium

May

• 5/4 5mg Valium
  • 5/8 7.5mg Valium
  • 5/10 2.5mg Valium
  • 5/12 1.25mg Valium
  • 5/15 2.5mg Valium
  • 5/17 1.25mg Valium
  • 5/23 2.5mg Valium
  • 5/26 - .5mg Clonazepam

Edited by [bu...]

[Pa...]

Hello @[bu...], welcome to BenzoBuddies,

Before I respond to your question about the need to taper, may I ask why you were prescribed benzodiazepines, you mention muscle relaxant qualities of Valium.  Also, has your dose and usage been determined by your doctor, or are you taking it as needed?

Tinnitus is a common withdrawal symptom but it can also appear while taking it.  You're wise to do your own research when it comes to withdrawing from these medications, best practices suggest tapering, so what we need to determine is how slowly you might want to take this.

As for Gabapentin, many tapering have used it as an adjunct medication to help with withdrawal symptoms so I'm not sure if tapering it before tapering the benzodiazepines would be best, can you share with us why you're considering tapering it at this time?

I hope we can help you work this out, we're glad you're here.

@[Pa...]

[bu...]
Posted (edited)

Reactive tinnitus concerns. I was perscibed it to reduce noxacusis (pain hyperacusis) setbacks, as there is a muscular component to the condition. I had stable tinnitus up until that Valium dose. I don't even know if this should be considered a taper since its on average bi-weekly for 2 months. I have not taken any in 9 days and don't feel any different with the exception of my reactive tinnitus being so volatile. 

Edited by [bu...]

[Pa...]

@[bu...], I'm very sorry to hear of your reactive tinnitus, I'd never experienced tinnitus until my withdrawal from Klonopin but it was enough for me to empathize with anyone who suffers.

In my opinion you should be okay with continuing your withdrawal since you've been 9 days without and haven't experienced other symptoms, but it may take awhile for the tinnitus to settle, for many, this symptom is the last to leave.

Valium is very slow to leave our system and members have reported symptoms weeks after a reduction to their dose but I doubt this will happen with you since you've been on it for a short time and haven't taken it consistently.  If you do experience symptoms, you'll know why and can just chalk it up to the withdrawal.

I hope you can find another solution for your hyperacusis, unfortunately, I don't believe benzodiazepines are the answer. 

[bu...]

Thank you for the kind words. Would taking Clonazepam as needed (1-2x monthly, 1mg-2mg doses) set my withdrawal recovery back? I currently will need to use this amount to leave the house for appointments starting at the end of the month. I do not plan on having a benzo until that point and should be about a month after last usage. Also please advise if I will need to micro taper off of a single medium-large dose?

[Pa...]

Benzodiazepines are tricky, dependance can happen even taking the medication PRN, and can lead to a theory called kindling.  I'm only trying to inform you, not alarm because its important you understand all of the possible situations you could face.

That being said, achieving quality of life is what we're all after so I hope you can find the balance you're looking for.  I don't believe a one off dose would need be tapered, the greatest concern is long term, consistent use. 

[bu...]

Do you think I had some kindling with 2x weekly Valium doses due to the long half life? I know 5mg isn't exactly a big dose, but I did not have this problem with 5 Clonazepams in 25 days.

[Pa...]

Hi @[bu...], I don't suspect you're suffering kindling, this would be more likely to happen with long term use.  And from what I gather, kindling only happens when we stop the drug completely, then restart it at a later date.  Its like each time we stop it and restart it, our nervous system gets a little more sensitized. 

I'm not sure why the Valium seemed to make things more uncomfortable, I know each benzodiazepine has different properties and some people don't seem to react well to one or another.