Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Risks of Introducing AD

[jo...]

I am considering introducing an AD as the depression I am suffering is becoming debilitating. I am over 4 months off and it doesn't show any sign of letting up any time soon. My worst symptom I would have said was anxiety, but it seems to have swaped places regarding severity with depression. To be honest there both still bad.

From posts I've read and the Ashton manual etc I am under the impression that depression is commonly one of the first symptoms to let up so part of me wants to keep gritting it out and see if it lets up soon.

If it doesn't though then mabey I'm going to try it. The worry I have is that I took an SSRI in the past and had side effects going onto it. Also I am aware of the, it works for some,not for others, and makes some worse scenario. Is it really a big risk to try it? Could it potentially set me back?

Thanks.

[Cr...]
5 minutes ago, [[j...] said:

From posts I've read and the Ashton manual etc I am under the impression that depression is commonly one of the first symptoms to let up so part of me wants to keep gritting it out and see if it lets up soon

That wasn't the case for me. After I quit alcohol in Dec. 2010 and stopped my 3 week reinstatement in Jan 2011 the depression didn't hit until Apr/May so 3 to 4 months later. My prior symptoms were mostly anxiety related up until that point. 

I didn't get on an AD at that time and the depression lifted on its own after a month. I didn't have another severe depression until Apr of the following year and due to me trying to save my attendence in Nursing school I got on an AD, low and slow. This was because when I tried getting on an AD the year before i followed the general guidelines from the doctor but the dose just caused a horrible reaction. So the following year when depression hit again I slowly worked my way up (4 weeks).

Jonwil, I really do feel for you. It is hard to know whether this is the right step. And it probably scares you to even think of your depression becoming worse or having a bad reaction to the AD. This depression may let up soon naturally, but while you don't want to be rash... you also know that it not letting up soon may be too much for you to handle in your state.

Do what you feel you need to do and talk to your doctor. You won't be the first Buddie that got on an AD during wd. Sometimes just being proactive and doing something that you feel will bring relief may help take the edge off of this depression almost instantly.

• Like 3

[jo...]

Thanks Crono, that all makes solid sense. When you worked your way up were there any issues? and were you still in withdrawl at that time?

The reason I ask is that this withdrawl depression is a different animal to any depression I've ever experienced in the past.

If I wasn't in withdrawl I guess it would be a simpler decision but I just worry how it will react to this particular beast.

[Cr...]
42 minutes ago, [[j...] said:

If I wasn't in withdrawl I guess it would be a simpler decision but I just worry how it will react to this particular beast.

Thats the paradox. If you weren't in a bad withdrawal wave you probably wouldn't even be considering an AD. When you are in a bad withdrawal wave where an AD seems like it would help out the idea of adding the AD startup effects on top of your already horrible symptoms seems inconceivable.

And yes withdrawal depression is a different beast. The positive way to look at it is that it is a depression caused by your brain repairing itself, as opposed to a depression that won't go away on its own until a deficiency is corrected or life circumstances change.

• Like 2

[jo...]
3 minutes ago, [[C...] said:

Thats the paradox. If you weren't in a bad withdrawal wave you probably wouldn't even be considering an AD. When you are in a bad withdrawal wave where an AD seems like it would help out the idea of adding the AD startup effects on top of your already horrible symptoms seems inconceivable.

And yes withdrawal depression is a different beast. The positive way to look at it is that it is a depression caused by your brain repairing itself, as opposed to a depression that won't go away on its own until a deficiency is corrected or life circumstances change.

(y)

[Le...]

Also there is a strain on a recovering body from these drugs. Questionable results at best. Also them being called antidepressants is misleading. they increase certain chemicals through lots of your body. I dont know how much you are struggling but if you havent tried to push yourself to walk a lot or get more support then i would try that first. I dont want you to make a decision based on my advice only though. please get the input you can and make your own decision. 

I have yet to meet an antidepressant user to have come off and have something positive to say. I have met some still on that do. there is a hint there. 

• Like 3

[jo...]

Lots to think about. Shame I can't think properly.

[Le...]
1 minute ago, [[j...] said:

Lots to think about. Shame I can't think properly.

lol. sorry. its just that i have been there and its a hard spot. I would have tried almost anything when I was where you likely are and noone would help me. 

few questions cause I read all the new stories here but mix them all up. how much are you sleeping?  how active are you? are you alone?

[jo...]

sleep is about four hours broken benzo type sleep. I'm not that active in a wave because I've tried excercise and walking etc and it doesn't help. I'm not alone all the time but wish I was. People stress me out when I'm like this.

• Like 1

[Le...]
Posted (edited)

I remember. you sound like where i was at well over one and a half years. i consider myself 99% healed at 2 years. impressive progress. at this rate you could be very well before too long  

so the exercise is not ever going to be easy for quite a while but every bit you get helps. it fights the depression very well but nothing is a miracle cure. is there somewhere with space and people nearby where you can be semi anonymous and walk lots?  little will help more. 

i wish you had a son for motivation. he was mine when nothing else worked. 

every bit your life mimics normal life will help. chores groceries. every unoccupied moment is a window for rumination and dont dismiss the effect. it is huge. 

Edited by [Le...]
  • Like 2

[Le...]

btw i remember how near impossible some of this is on little sleep and all the rest. just dont give up the fight. 

• Like 1

[Le...]

Oh and maybe this will be inspiring but I still didnt have BB when I was where you are. I still was not certain it was WD and not thinking right. I had good help and an extremely(at the time) aggravating family return and practically torture me into activity. I think it is the only thing that worked. living how we do in WD even without the WD would make a sickly unhappy person. it can be fought. 

[jo...]

Thanks Lee. Your right I know it. I need to get out and excercise more and looking at the same four walls all day really isn't helping. I cant beleive you went that long in that condition. Sounds rough. Hats off for coming through it this isn't easy at the best of times.

[jo...]
Just now, [[L...] said:

where in the world are you?

UK

[Le...]

easy lol. i have experienced lots in my life. come close to death a few times. i would take all the bad ever in life happening to me everyday before a single day of my first year. 

[Le...]

damn. was hoping there was going to be a miracle and I could help out someone nearby. I would love to have someone I could help with the worst of this ordeal. 

[Le...]
Posted (edited)

I spent over a year alone. my wife dropped off stuff frequently but it wasnt great. i would have benefitted a lot from a quiet person who understood. 

Edited by [Le...]

[jo...]

Yeah I'm experiencing the people don't get it thing now. Doesn't help. I try to stay away from people when it's bad. I'm not sure if thats a good or bad thing to be honest but I really can't deal with them well. Kind of want to scream at them sometimes.

[Le...]

yea me too. there is no way for someone who hasnt experienced it to in any way understand or ever believe it is possible. that is why this has gone on so long. people here understand. 

• Like 1

@[jo...], good morning to you)

Imo, we can manage the chemical depression by benzo withdrawal on our own. It's bound to leave you for good in the end as the rest of wd symptoms. If it's somehow bearable, i'd try to get through on my own. And if it's not, then antidepressants could be a solution. But it's not easy to find the right one exactly for you and it most probably will feel as a setback while "climbing" it.

I took an antidepressant while withdrawing bc my headaches were just really unbearable and a neurologist prescribed it to me for this reason not bc i was depressed. I wasn't at all. It helped. I also think it helped me with my moods. I tended to be just happy when nothing was in pain, not often though. 

One more thing. As far as i understand it and feel, our wd depression, anxiety or even pain are of a chemical nature, caused by a physical process of "coming back" in our body. We can't do much about it just wait. And i doubt any medications or forcing yourself to do happy things can help to a considerable extent. But it all must pass eventually, believe it or not!)

[jo...]

Thanks Kate. I'm gonna try and stick it out a little while longer and see how it goes. At the moment I've had other unpleasant symptoms return so mabey that will take my mind off the depression for a little while!

• Like 1
  • Love 1

[re...]

Jonwill:

sleep is about four hours broken benzo type sleep. I'm not that active in a wave because I've tried exercise and walking etc and it doesn't help. I'm not alone all the time but wish I was. People stress me out when I'm like this.

I am here to tell you like Yoda "no try only do" You have to keep it going even through your hard times and you will see improvements. It is not gonna help immediately or in like 4 weeks like a pill would. I exercised during my taper and felt awful many many times and it revved me up for HOURS after. Oh god just thinking back on it........... SUCH NASTINESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It is just the body and brain getting in balance after stressing it. And if you look at the reddit cycling forums I am on even NORMAL cyclists get these things after overexertion. It is completely safe and normal. But of course don't overdo it too much. 

You need at least 16 weeks (most clinical trials are 16 week exercise programs) before you see results. This was my biggest mistake when I first got my hyponatremia brain swelling edema then medical error induced acute TBI from my seizures and following coma then the extreme poly pharmacy that basically lobotomized me. 

I would exercise and think "why am I not feeling better after a week or two" You gotta really keep it up and I promise you it will be the best decision of your life. Don't just walk.......RUN if you have to. 

I really believe our body was meant for running and the god created body you have is stronger than any drug and it will in time give you the therapeutic benefit you need. 

• To anyone wondering about the 16 week study I mention. There are many out there I have seen, but here is kind of what I am talking about and these are double blinds so pretty good stuff. And it was exercise vs Zoloft on depression. Starts at the 17:00 mark. I would watch this whole video though. It has wonderful info and he is so well spoken. This is Jon Ratey. He also talks about GABA in the Hippocampus at 24:40. Just GREAT GREAT stuff and hopefully will give some of you hope about the power of exercise.  And all you CBD junkies :balloon: check out 23:18 it will blow your mind. To me way cheaper than all that CBD you are doing which you don't even know where it is coming from and how you will react to that certain strain. 

[re...]

What I have seen a lot of is SSRI rapid discontinuation or bad taper then a benzo to alleviate symptoms can work in a decent amount of these people.

But the other way of a bad benzo experience then a following AD doesn't seem to work for the majority. There are some it definitely has helped though. I have seen it. Just not in large enough numbers. I mean people have reactions to MAGNESIUM and certain FOODS for god sakes after benzo dysregulation so adding other actual drugs is iffy IMO. 

• 3 weeks later...
[jo...]
On 05/06/2024 at 00:24, [[C...] said:

That wasn't the case for me. After I quit alcohol in Dec. 2010 and stopped my 3 week reinstatement in Jan 2011 the depression didn't hit until Apr/May so 3 to 4 months later. My prior symptoms were mostly anxiety related up until that point. 

I didn't get on an AD at that time and the depression lifted on its own after a month. I didn't have another severe depression until Apr of the following year and due to me trying to save my attendence in Nursing school I got on an AD, low and slow. This was because when I tried getting on an AD the year before i followed the general guidelines from the doctor but the dose just caused a horrible reaction. So the following year when depression hit again I slowly worked my way up (4 weeks).

Jonwil, I really do feel for you. It is hard to know whether this is the right step. And it probably scares you to even think of your depression becoming worse or having a bad reaction to the AD. This depression may let up soon naturally, but while you don't want to be rash... you also know that it not letting up soon may be too much for you to handle in your state.

Do what you feel you need to do and talk to your doctor. You won't be the first Buddie that got on an AD during wd. Sometimes just being proactive and doing something that you feel will bring relief may help take the edge off of this depression almost instantly.

Hi Crono, Sorry to keep my AD dilema going it must be getting boring now. But did your ad help? and was it an ssri or a tetracyclic?

I sometimes consider asking my doctor about prozac as people seem to have success with that and apparently is easier to come off than most.

worried about the start up though. This depression is becoming a real problem. I'm trying to make it to my next window, whenever that comes, and then see if it returns after. If it does then I might have to really try and do something about it.