Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Supplementing

[da...]

[da...]

Bought a few supplements a few months ago that i never tried. I checked the reviews and iv known about them for years. However, knowing benzo withdrawal its really risky to just try out anything. I had my last benzo in 2012, healed, and induced the return of all my mental symptoms due to alcohol abuse. My CNS appears to be quite sensitive still.

if theres anyone who has tried Bacopa or ashwagandha or any other supplement to help with mainly cognitive impairment please share with us 🙏🏽 

i know this healing process takes time, but there must be things we can do to improve the quality of our lives besides distracting . Even if its by a fragment of difference. 

regards, 

Dave

IMG_2964.jpeg

[Cr...]

Before I even discuss these supplements you are probably somewhat aware of what I will tell you.

These supplements will not prevent benzo withdrawal symptoms. So if you take them and get a normal flare-up in symptoms a day or two later... you will most likely tell yourself it had to be due to the supplements you just took, even though the flare-up may have occured even if you never used them. This is a similar problem people come across when adding and subtracting foods while in a wave.

I am not familiar with Bacopa, but I do have experience with Ashwagandha. The Ash is often used for anxiety and depression. Depending on the variety, like ksm-66 for example, you may find that it doesn't necessarily get rid of your anxiety or depression but it makes it so that you are not really bothered by anything anymore. 

Some people say it works too well. I saw a video of a guy that took it to get over a breakup with his gf and it worked, he was no longer sad. But he also did not feel the joy of getting a promotion at work. He said literally nothing bothered him, either good or bad.

Ashwagandha is shown to lower your cortisol levels (the same culprit waking you up with morning anxiety), but we do need a certain amount of cortisol to help motivate us and get things accomplished.

You will probably find some data about Ash affecting Gaba receptors. From what I can gather it does not affect them in the way benzos and alcohol do in regards to downregulation. 

From what i have read using the search function on this site, some members said it helped them, others said they experienced no changes, and some claimed they felt worse.

If it makes you feel any better, from what I have read any effects, positive or negative, seem to subside quickly when you stop its use. In other words, if you find it ramps up your anxiety a little bit you should be back to baseline next day.

If you still want to give it a shot, I suggest you start out at 300mg or less. Some people on youtube suggest 1000mg daily, but with the way your nervous system is you should take it slow and low.

• 2 months later...

Keep in mind that high doses, or prolonged doses (a month or two), of nicotinic acid (a specific type of niacin) can cause liver damage but the case detailed in this article involves a guy who 'accelerated' recovery from benzo withdrawal using high doses of nicotinic acid, GABA, and vitamin C. https://riordanclinic.org/2014/03/supplements-accelerate-benzodiazepine-withdrawal-a-case-report-and-biochemical-rationale/   The nicotinic acid seems to be needed for trying to restore normal function of the benzodiazepine receptors (nicotinic/acetylcholine receptors).

In addition to what is said Ash often interacts with anti depressants if you are on them.