Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Does anyone know how to taper off diazepam while on fluvoxamine?

[he...]

Hi, everyone

I am on 100 mg of Luvox (fluvoxamine) and Valium (12.5 mg) daily, and I am considering which tapering strategy to adopt.

In a consultation, a neurologist told me that Luvox increases the half-life of Valium to the point that it makes my daily dosage 2.8 fold more or less. In other words, it is as if I am taking 35 mg of Valium daily according to him, based on a website about interactions.

I was considering 10% cuts such as removing 1.25 mg of my daily intake, but by what he suggests that would imply in 3.5 mg (still 10%). That makes me wonder if that is a good idea if I consider the Ashton Manual that purposes 2 mg cuts until you reach 20 mg as far as I can remember that. At the same time, given the longer half-life, I don’t know if such a cut of 10% is expected to be more smooth or maybe unnoticeable.

I don’t know any benzo-wise doctor where I live, so your views and/or experiences would be very appreciated.

[Ch...]
4 hours ago, [[h...] said:

Hi, everyone

I am on 100 mg of Luvox (fluvoxamine) and Valium (12.5 mg) daily, and I am considering which tapering strategy to adopt.

In a consultation, a neurologist told me that Luvox increases the half-life of Valium to the point that it makes my daily dosage 2.8 fold more or less. In other words, it is as if I am taking 35 mg of Valium daily according to him, based on a website about interactions.

I was considering 10% cuts such as removing 1.25 mg of my daily intake, but by what he suggests that would imply in 3.5 mg (still 10%). That makes me wonder if that is a good idea if I consider the Ashton Manual that purposes 2 mg cuts until you reach 20 mg as far as I can remember that. At the same time, given the longer half-life, I don’t know if such a cut of 10% is expected to be more smooth or maybe unnoticeable.

I don’t know any benzo-wise doctor where I live, so your views and/or experiences would be very appreciated.

Why don't you try a modest drop of .5mg Diazepam every 14 days and see how it goes?