Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Thinking it’s time to maybe stop the tapering

[Ro...]

I have been on Ativan for only about a month now down to .25 mg I’m thinking I’m low enough to stop and see if the withdrawals are tolerable and be done. I’ve read even tapering years correctly can still have symptoms. Not the advisable approach I know but maybe someone can let me know how and when you stopped and what was it like.

[Ch...]
8 hours ago, [[R...] said:

I have been on Ativan for only about a month now down to .25 mg I’m thinking I’m low enough to stop and see if the withdrawals are tolerable and be done. I’ve read even tapering years correctly can still have symptoms. Not the advisable approach I know but maybe someone can let me know how and when you stopped and what was it like.

If you've only been on for 2-4 weeks, you may get by with just stopping. You say that you are "down to .25mg." From what dose? Is this the only time you've ever used a benzo?

Stopping at .25mg Ativan is considered "cold turkey."

Be aware that abrupt cessation is not usually advised.

Let us know what you decide to do and how it goes.

[Ch...]

@Rockstar1968

I read a few of your past posts. Your history is more involved than just .25mg of Ativan for "only about a month." In light of that, NO, I would not suggest that you "just quit" at the .25mg of Ativan. You really ought to safely taper.

[Ro...]
5 hours ago, [[C...] said:

If you've only been on for 2-4 weeks, you may get by with just stopping. You say that you are "down to .25mg." From what dose? Is this the only time you've ever used a benzo?

@Rockstar1968

I read a few of your past posts. Your history is more involved than just .25mg of Ativan for "only about a month." In light of that, NO, I would not suggest that you "just quit" at the .25mg of Ativan. You really ought to safely taper.

@Rockstar1968

[Ro...]

@Rockstar1968

Yes, the original Benzo was 0.5 Xanax, which was then switched to Ativan so about 20 days of Xanax. At the moment am down to .25 of Ativan for 8 days the withdrawals lessen as the days go by. Slow taper of course is the safe option. But when you read stories of those who taper for 2 years and still have symptoms you have to wonder if it’s the only choice. And everyone is different. The dose is so low at some point you have to jump. Worst case you go back to the last dose and taper from there.

Not sure what I’m going to do but there are success stories of stopping earlier than suggested is all I’m saying. 

[Ha...]

Only one month is not too long of a time to get off of these now. If you stop at .25 you'll most likely have some withdrawal symptoms. I would cut the .25 in half, that would ease them up. Stop this before you get way too deep into a dependence of benzo hell.

[Br...]

Hi @[Ro...] - I'm confused - your introductory post on BB says you took Xanax for 3 months before switching to Ativan.  

In general when there is short term use we advise a more rapid taper than for longer term use.  One important factor to consider is this question: Do you have a history of taking and discontinuing benzodiazepines (or other psychoactive drugs)?  Or, is this the first time you have taken a benzodiazepine?  If you have started and stopped a benzo previously it can make subsequent withdrawal symptoms harder which may mean it makes sense to slow the taper a bit.  

If however, this is the first time you've taken benzos we generally suggest it doesn't make sense for the taper to take longer than the period of time you were on the drug.

I agree with others here who suggest you make a cut to the remaining .25mg before jumping.  

It is likely you will experience some withdrawal symptoms but generally, if this is your first time taking a benzo,recovery for short term users is less lengthy than it is for long term users.

[Ro...]

Thanks, only took Xanax as needed .50 mg very infrequently over the last 20 years. Never consecutive days though.
The reason usage increased in February to daily use was due to extreme pain from Trigeminal Neuralgia. (Same dose .50 mg.) Dr started a taper from the Xanax with the idea to switch to Ativan. After a few days the plan was disrupted due to ER visits and a hospital stay where I didn’t take Xanax but they had me on Ativan during my 2 day stay. Since I wasn’t taking Xanax and was given Ativan I decided to taper with Ativan only .50 mg. So the last 20 days only Ativan and and down to .25 mg. So withdrawals have been tough usually after a cut. But seem to subside after a week. I’m managing okay just want this out of my body once and for all. 

[Br...]
12 hours ago, [[R...] said:

I’m managing okay just want this out of my body once and for all. 

I totally get this - we want to be done with it and watch it recede in our rearview mirror.  But the problem is it can be very harsh on your CNS (central nervous system) to taper too quickly - the result is almost invariably very difficult withdrawal symptoms.  The idea behind tapering is it allows your body to adjust gradually to reductions so that your symptoms are less intense.  I hope you'll put on the brakes just a little at least to be a bit gentler on your system.

• Like 1