Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Getting off Clonazepam

[in...]

Hey all! I'm new here at BB so I don't know if I'm posting where I'm supposed to lol.

So here's my story: I've used Clonazepam for about 19-24 months.

I've taken 1mg/day. Not more, not less.

So. I've started tapering. I went from 1mg to 0.75mg in about 14 days. From 0.75mg to 0.5mg again in about 14 days. I'm now at 0.25mg, and I've felt "ok" this far.

I'm thinking about holding on to 0.25mg for another week or so and then quit.

I might be doing things a bit to fast, but I feel alright. It's just this upcoming last step scares me allot!

What do you guys think? Thanks!

[pi...]

Hello @[in...],

Welcome to Benzo Buddies! You are indeed doing a very fast taper but it appears that it is going quite good for you. Not everyone will have a challenging taper and recovery, you seem to fit that profile. 

I might suggest holding the dose for 2 weeks just to make sure the cuts don’t catch up to you. Clonazepam has a pretty long half life so it might be wise to take a little more time at the end.

I really hope things continue to go well for you, let us know how we can support you during this process.

[in...]

Thanks! Well, maybe holding on for another week is the best move here. I'm thinking half-life is 18-50 hours, so my body should adapt if I keep going for another week. Again: Thank you!

[in...]

@[pi...]Day 9 on 0.25mg Clonazepam. I'm feeling a little bit more anxious than before. I know it's the pills (WD) talking. So 5 more days and I'm finally getting off this crap. I mean medicine lol. I've got to be honest here. I AM quite nervous. I should be fine, but still. If I feel "ok" in 5 days I should be able to quit since my body must've adapted to this dosage, right? Hard to say I guess. Thanks for the support! It means the world to me! / Ineedtomakeit

[pi...]
1 hour ago, [[i...] said:

@[pi...]Day 9 on 0.25mg Clonazepam. I'm feeling a little bit more anxious than before. I know it's the pills (WD) talking. So 5 more days and I'm finally getting off this crap. I mean medicine lol. I've got to be honest here. I AM quite nervous. I should be fine, but still. If I feel "ok" in 5 days I should be able to quit since my body must've adapted to this dosage, right? Hard to say I guess. Thanks for the support! It means the world to me! / Ineedtomakeit

You could be feeling anxious because of the eminent cessation of clonazepam, or, it could be withdrawal. It’s hard to say. However, why put a set time line on stepping off? I totally understand your desire to be rid of the drug, I felt the same way. I  just cut 1/4 of my tablets because neither my doctor or me were sure of what we were doing. I didn’t find this forum after I jumped off.

I believe the best plan is to listen to your body. There is nothing wrong with going slower with the taper, letting symptoms dictate the time line. Yes, if you still feel ok in 5 days it would likely be ok. 

[in...]

I guess I want to enjoy summertime outdoors instead of being in bed 20 out of 24h/day. I'm going crazy just lying in bed all the time lol. At the same time: I don't have the energy to do anything else. I know I shouldn't rush things. I guess I just want to get out of this nightmare and this room. I've been stuck here for almost a month now. Thoughts are racing in my head, you know what I mean? Time is key, but still...

[je...]

If withdrawal is causing you to be bed bound then you’re tapering too fast. The purpose behind tapering is to remain functional and participate in life - to at minimum do the daily tasks expected of you. When you stop the drug, it doesn’t mean you’ll instantly return to normal. Withdrawal symptoms can last for a considerable amount of time. I only felt a significant improvement once I was one year off. 

I don’t want to discourage you, but if you taper slow enough you can still have some quality of life. 

[in...]
Just now, [[j...] said:

If withdrawal is causing you to be bed bound then you’re tapering too fast. The purpose behind tapering is to remain functional and participate in life - to at minimum do the daily tasks expected of you. When you stop the drug, it doesn’t mean you’ll instantly return to normal. Withdrawal symptoms can last for a considerable amount of time. I only felt a significant improvement once I was one year off. 

I don’t want to discourage you, but if you taper slow enough you can still have some quality of life. 

My "normal" levels of anxiety are coming back from before I started using my medication. I'm used to feeling the way I am today. I'm also used to overthinking stuff. I know at least half of everything that's going on is in my head. I don't have the tools to think about anything else than my anxiety. I'm seeing a psychologist. I've been seeing him for a year now. He knows about my situation. It's the meds that are fogging my focus. That's all. I've always relied on Clonazepam. So now that I'll have to rely on myself I'm scared. I'll have to face feelings and everything that comes with it. I'm going to have to learn how to trust myself and my instincts, you know what I mean?

[je...]

Sure. As long as it’s not the withdrawal symptoms causing you to be bed bound. 

[in...]

Day 10 is coming to an end. 4 more days and I'm done. I'm soooo nervous it's just insane... I'm gonna be fine. It's just a mental game at this point...@[pi...]@[je...]

[pi...]
1 hour ago, [[i...] said:

Day 10 is coming to an end. 4 more days and I'm done. I'm soooo nervous it's just insane... I'm gonna be fine. It's just a mental game at this point...@[pi...]@[je...]

I wish you the best, you know your body better than anyone. 

@[je...]made some valid points though. We just want this process to be a smooth and easy for you as possible. 

[je...]

If you've been doing okay up to now, then your symptoms are likely to stay the same. It is stressful to jump but you'll get through it. It sounds like you have a very good psychologist and you know what you need to be working on. 

[in...]

So... Day 1 without Clonazepam. This journey is more about me being nervous knowing I'm gonna stop taking my meds than it's about WD symptoms at this point. I just can't get comfortable thinking about a life without benzos. It has helped me on so many levels. At the same time I know meds are not the solution. I need to face my fears and my emotions without any type of safety behaviors. I can't keep running from... myself lol.

This thing called life is a tricky thing. I'll get there, I know...

You see?! I'm overthinking stuff again lol. Maybe that's normal? I don't know... Anyway: I wish you all an awesome day!