Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Why can’t I use different dose pills for my taper?

[He...]

If been tapering off of lorazepam. I was at 3mg. Dropped 0.25mg to 2.75mg. And now today ten days later I dropped to 2.5 mg dropping another quarter. I have 1mg pills and 0.5mg pills. I take 0.75 morning, 0.75 afternoon, and 1mg night. How I take my first two doses is I cut a half from a 1mg pill to get 0.5mg then cut the 0.5mg pill in half to get the 0.25, equaling 0.75mg. If I was to try and cut 0.25 from the 1mg it would be much harder. I read in the direct taper section on this website in the 3 lines top of the webpage that you shouldn’t use two dose pills? Why not?? 

[Li...]

@[He...]  Is this the statement you’re referencing from the Direct Taper section?

Do not use a mixture of tablets strengths with this table. If you mix and match different dose pills, refer to the full explanation for a work-around. 

If so, please note it applies only to the use of the “Stepping Off” table provided in that section.

It is fine to use different combinations of pill strengths to taper.

[He...]
5 hours ago, [[L...] said:

@[He...]  Is this the statement you’re referencing from the Direct Taper section?

Do not use a mixture of tablets strengths with this table. If you mix and match different dose pills, refer to the full explanation for a work-around. 

If so, please note it applies only to the use of the “Stepping Off” table provided in that section.

It is fine to use different combinations of pill strengths to taper.

Yes that’s what I’m referring to but that is how I’m dropping a quarter every 7-10 days but I have to use different dose pills so I’m lost. 

[Li...]

@[He...] Regrettably I do not have experience using the Stepping Off table with different strength pills.  @[Co...] Can you assist?

[Co...]

Hi @[He...]

I need to revisit/update that table, the information with it, and all our old content.

Having said that, the 'stepping off' table can be used for a combination of different pill sizes. Instead of counting the pills, count the dose. So, for example, if you took one 5mg and one 2mg pill per day (for a total of 7mg), you would plug 7mg into the table. This will provide you with a rough guide (which is all that table is about) for reductions to dose.

Having now had a quick look at your situation, I can see using that table is not very helpful because your dose is quite low (and the table is meant for diving whole pills). But, if you look at the following section, 'Tailored Taper Plans', this will allow you look up much smaller pill divisions and how this translates into a percentage.

As I mentioned, this old information needs to be updated. And if it is not that useful to you, we can help you determine the size of dose reduction you seek.

• Like 1