Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Carrying on with job and family while tapering

[co...]

What has your experience been like with your career/job and life at home as a parent/partner while tapering?

[En...]
12 hours ago, [[c...] said:

What has your experience been like with your career/job and life at home as a parent/partner while tapering?

I had to take time off work because my symptoms were just too bad to function. 

Emotional blunting has hindered my personal life. I was always the one who fixed things and was always the support system in my family and it has been very difficult to even function at times. When we have emotional blunting it hinders our feelings and pleasures and our closest relationships suffer. Our children dont get the parent that they need and we are not the same as we used to be. I feel guilty about that and try my best to show my kids love. It isn't that we dont love our family it is the benzos blunting emotions. It goes away after awhile like all the other horrible symptoms. 

• Like 1

[co...]
4 hours ago, [[E...] said:

I had to take time off work because my symptoms were just too bad to function. 

Emotional blunting has hindered my personal life. I was always the one who fixed things and was always the support system in my family and it has been very difficult to even function at times. When we have emotional blunting it hinders our feelings and pleasures and our closest relationships suffer. Our children dont get the parent that they need and we are not the same as we used to be. I feel guilty about that and try my best to show my kids love. It isn't that we dont love our family it is the benzos blunting emotions. It goes away after awhile like all the other horrible symptoms. 

So true. My kids are 3, 3, and 5 and the last 18 months I've been on this stuff I've experienced emotional blunting that has made it feel unnatural to form the connections with them that should feel natural but I try nonetheless. It has also affected intimacy with my partner. During that time I was also working on my business part time as a way out of first response so I was stress and tired all the time. I think it's a good reminder that many parents, husbands, and wives all have their own stresses and struggles they deal with and that there's no "perfect" childhood we can provide for our kids, lest we feel guilty or ashamed. Let's keep on moving in the right direction and believe the best is yet to come.

• Like 1