Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Just after help, Can a low dose of Valium restart withdrawal when the withdrawal was years ago?

[Ma...]
Posted (edited)

Hi folks,

It’s been a long time since I’ve been on here, I successfully withdrew from Valium with this forum’s help - I had a protracted withdrawal, but after a year I recovered and felt normal. I’ve got a bit of a problem at the moment so I’ve come back to ask a question. 

Anyway, I’d been on Prozac for many years and about 6 months ago I stupidly went of it, I just stopped taking it. I had minor withdrawal for about a month but no other problems (I’ve been off it many of times like this throughout my life with no dramas - I was on it when I got off Valium). Cut to a month back and suddenly out of no where I had a scary panic attack and went to the hospital, I had a heart check and the doctor gave me a 2 mg Valium tablet (very low dose) and I didn’t know what it was till afterwards. I didn’t feel any effect from it but got over the panic attack. 

So the panic and anxiety got worse slowly, but at first it was just the fear of the panic attacks that drove the anxiety. Until the doctor gave me a box of 10 x 2mg Valium tablets for if I had a panic attack at work. I decided to accept his offer because my withdrawal was years and years ago, and I wouldn’t get addicted to Valium from one box of 10 x 2mg Valium I thought - plus I was really scared of the panic. So I carried along with me 4 x 2mg tabs to work everyday just in case. Nothing happened for 2 weeks, but then I had the mother of all panic attacks at work, it scared the c@@@ out of me and I popped the 8mg Valium in the bathroom feeling so bad and scared of the panic. It didn’t stop the panic unfortunately 30 minutes later, so I got out of there and went on leave ever since. My doctor restarted me on 20mg of Prozac. So over the days I got more anxious and anxious with racing thoughts and weird dissociation and feelings of random dread and unreality in my chest. It got so bad that I called the mental health authorities and they told me to take two tablets of Valium a day for three days (that’s all I had left), so I did. I was then told to go off the Prozac in case it was a reaction to that so I have too (it’s day 5 of no Prozac and day 4 of no Valium). Please note that I was only back on the 20mg Prozac for about 10 days.

I currently feel like I have brain damage at the moment, I’m in a weird fugue state, I’ve got no appetite, I can’t enjoy anything in life right now (so distraction barely works) my cognitive abilities are slightly diminished and I’m aware of it so it scares the hell out of me, I have racing “what if” thoughts, it’s really frightening. I also have a short attention span now, I feel like I have a neurological brain disease like dementia (and maybe I do) and I’m scared. 

I checked out the surviving antidepressant withdrawal forums earlier but I find it very hard to believe Prozac could put me in a state this bad because I’ve been on and off it for 30 years.

But today I realised something, when this has got bad, I noticed that my bottom lip rhythmically twitches sometimes. Especially when I press my lips together. And it’s getting worse the worse this has got. I remembered back to my Valium withdrawal and I remember feelings of dissociation (DP/DR) and I recall my bottom lip sometimes twitching for months afterwards - and it has made me wonder. It seems very neurological. The other neuro symptom I have right now is my left toes feel like they are slightly twitching and curling when at rest.

Has the tiny dose of Valium the hospital gave me for the panic and then the 10 x 2mg Valium the doctor gave me set something off?

I find it hard to believe that it could because I do have underlying OCD and anxiety. But then I haven’t felt this bad since my Valium withdrawal or a reaction I had to much Zoloft in 2012. 

If I am fooling myself, please let me know (maybe I need a neurologist?), but I’m at my wits end and very scared, and just trying to make logical sense of this very scary situation. Thanks you in advance for any help. 

Edited by [Ma...]
Make title clearer

[pi...]

Hello @[Ma...],

Welcome back, but I’m sorry that it’s under these circumstances. 

Have there been any stressors in your life that might have triggered the first panic attack? Any changes to your diet or life circumstances? 

I do have to agree with your assessment that now part of the issues is the fear of a panic attack. Fear can play a big role in triggering these events. 

I don’t believe you have become dependent taking just 10 Valium tablets. However, those of us with sensitive nervous systems can be affected by seemingly minor changes. Additionally, although you have successfully taken Prozac before, simply starting it up again can be activating. 

You can get a check up to rule out any underlying causes. By the way, when was the last time you took Valium and Prozac? We’ll try to sort this out. I have to believe that this is just a blip and you’ll to how you felt before this event.

• Like 1

[Ma...]
Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, [[p...] said:

Hello @[Ma...],

Welcome back, but I’m sorry that it’s under these circumstances. 

Have there been any stressors in your life that might have triggered the first panic attack? Any changes to your diet or life circumstances? 

I do have to agree with your assessment that now part of the issues is the fear of a panic attack. Fear can play a big role in triggering these events. 

I don’t believe you have become dependent taking just 10 Valium tablets. However, those of us with sensitive nervous systems can be affected by seemingly minor changes. Additionally, although you have successfully taken Prozac before, simply starting it up again can be activating. 

You can get a check up to rule out any underlying causes. By the way, when was the last time you took Valium and Prozac? We’ll try to sort this out. I have to believe that this is just a blip and you’ll to how you felt before this event.

Hi Pianogirl, it’s really good to chat again it’s been so long! You guys saved my life, I just realised that I should pay some forward and maybe post about getting over my initial Valium addiction to reassure others.

Thank you so much for your thoughts on my situation. I really hope to feel the same before and thank you.

Cheers re the Valium, that is reassuring. I suppose I was just desperately searching for an answer.

Actually I did have quite a few stressors beforehand, my Mum passed away from a medical accident last year. I was suffering low grade depressive thoughts about it, worrying about my age and not being able to find another partner and being alone. Worrying about the rest of my family being in other states and worrying about my old man (he’s in good health though). So the works basically! 

Yep, for sure - I have actually always been sensitive to SSRI’s since the 2012 Zoloft thing I mentioned, I didn’t realise this sensitive though. 

Re the physical checkup, today I went to another GP (with results to be sent to my mental health GP) with a list of physical things I was worried about - and I asked him to pretend I don’t have a mental health condition. He was quite good about it, and I’ve just had full bloods taken for things that affect the mind - and I’m getting an MRI of the brain done tomorrow. I am glad that I have had this done so thanks for your guidance on that!

Hmm, actually I can’t recall taking Valium and Prozac together? I’ll have to go through my old posts - maybe I have. 

*edit*

Yep I went back and I was getting my Prozac dose raised from 30mg to 60mg - whoa that’s heaps for me. I am really started to wonder how much of my PAWS was due to the Prozac. Because one of my PAWS posts was about having Bipolar like symptoms of a bad morning and fine evening. 

Thanks again for your help 

Edited by [Ma...]

[pi...]

Hi again @[Ma...],

Your post answers the questions I asked. Yes, you have had a lot of stress in your life. I’m so sorry for your loss, the loss of a parents can have a big impact on you. It was very tough for me when my dad died. 

It sounds like you are bring very proactive about you health. I also had a plethora of medical tests. In the end, I’m glad I had them done even though a couple were very invasive. Health anxiety is real and once my results were in I didn’t need to concern myself with that.

I don’t have a lot of experience with ssri’s, I couldn’t really tolerate them. In my brief experience I found them highly activating. 

Have you tried any on their modalities to deal with panic and anxiety such as CBT, meditation and deep belly breathing techniques? 

Good,luck with you tests, I hope you stop by and let us know how you are doing.

• Love 1

[Ma...]
14 minutes ago, [[p...] said:

Hi again @[Ma...],

Your post answers the questions I asked. Yes, you have had a lot of stress in your life. I’m so sorry for your loss, the loss of a parents can have a big impact on you. It was very tough for me when my dad died. 

It sounds like you are bring very proactive about you health. I also had a plethora of medical tests. In the end, I’m glad I had them done even though a couple were very invasive. Health anxiety is real and once my results were in I didn’t need to concern myself with that.

I don’t have a lot of experience with ssri’s, I couldn’t really tolerate them. In my brief experience I found them highly activating. 

Have you tried any on their modalities to deal with panic and anxiety such as CBT, meditation and deep belly breathing techniques? 

I’m really sorry to hear about your loss. Are you spiritual if you don’t mind me asking?

I’m really trying to be, I’ve actually lost 80kg since I was on the forum in 2017. Also my flat looks like a mental hospital right now 😂 with reminders and white boards everywhere that I put up when my memory started to go funny about a week ago. 

I was trying the Dare Response for anxiety - but just when the activation kicked off so it was completely futile. I may try it again. I’m going to go to a Buddhist temple and ask the monks about mindfulness for OCD next week

[pi...]
4 minutes ago, [[M...] said:

I’m really sorry to hear about your loss. Are you spiritual if you don’t mind me asking?

I’m really trying to be, I’ve actually lost 80kg since I was on the forum in 2017. Also my flat looks like a mental hospital right now 😂 with reminders and white boards everywhere that I put up when my memory started to go funny about a week ago. 

I was trying the Dare Response for anxiety - but just when the activation kicked off so it was completely futile. I may try it again. I’m going to go to a Buddhist temple and ask the monks about mindfulness for OCD next week

I have a very eclectic sense of spirituality. Having been around people of many different faiths and beliefs I adopt those that are meaningful to me. I heard the most inspiring talk from a Buddhist priest when at a funeral service, I hope you can find some peace at the temple. 

• Like 1

[Ma...]

Hi again Pianogirl - I went through my post history last night, and even into PAWS I found accounts of me going through what I’m going through now except I completely forgot about them! I was wondering if I could please ask your advice?

In the posts, my Prozac dose is all over the place over the year.  I think I coped because I was temporarily off on disability - but similar things are happening now (except much worse cause I’m under a lot of pressure from work and I live alone). Is it possible to have a protracted withdrawal from an SSRI, and require them to function? I’m just trying to decide the best cause of action - whether to try another SNRI or go back very slowly on the Prozac to see if symptoms improve. Thank you. 

• 1 month later...
[Ma...]
On 02/06/2024 at 21:32, [[p...] said:

Hi again @[Ma...],

Hi Pianogirl,

Just an update, I had to go to hospital around a month ago because it all got worse and worse - I was admitted to the psychiatric ward, and was there for around three weeks. Now I am in a sub acute mental health rehab place. I’m slowly on the mend but still trying to untangle and figure out what happened, and how to move forward.

I did get a DNA test done by the doctor at the ward, to test my bodies compatibility with psychotropic drugs. It turns out the two drugs I need caution on are - Prozac and Agomelatine. The test revealed that my body may be a poor metaboliser of Prozac - so I may get severe adverse reactions to a previously tolerated Prozac dose (this means it builds up too fast in my brain)! That explains the “activation” that sent me to hospital. I am getting better but am not healed - they are trying to figure out the best meds for me, but they are worried about the Valium. 

And the original panic attacks were probably my underlying anxiety just like you said.

For the past four weeks, I was given 10mg of Valium every two to three days PRN (uh oh!). And now the current rehab place I’m at has cut it back to 5mg, only twice a week - the psychiatrist is worried about it. 

I do wonder if the Valium hasn’t helped at all. Well, I thought I better come back more often for advice on getting back off Valium again. I really wonder if my brain just doesn’t like it at all after what happened years ago.

Is it OK if I come back here for support re the Valium?

[Pa...]

Hi @[Ma...], I'm sorry to hear you've been in the hospital, I hope you're seeing some improvement.

Can you tell us a little about how they're dosing the Valium, I hate to hear its not a consistent dose.  Valium has a long half life but I still don't think its a good idea to dose erratically when trying to get stable.

How can we help?

• Like 1

[Ma...]
5 minutes ago, [[P...] said:

Hi @[Ma...], I'm sorry to hear you've been in the hospital, I hope you're seeing some improvement.

Can you tell us a little about how they're dosing the Valium, I hate to hear its not a consistent dose.  Valium has a long half life but I still don't think its a good idea to dose erratically when trying to get stable.

How can we help?

Thank you, that really helps - I will mention it to my doctor that the PRN Valium is a bad idea - and maybe I should be on consistently then weened off (like all those years ago), how should I communicate it best to my doctor?

Sure, so they were just giving it to me as needed for sleep or when I was very anxious. I will write a complete (rough) diary of the Valium and post it here in about two hours. Thanks for your help it’s much appreciated 

[pi...]

@[Ma...],

I am terribly sorry that life got so rough for you. It does appear that you got some answers with the DNA test. Like @[Pa...], I am concerned with periodic dosing of Valium, the cns likes consistency. Of course we’ll be happy to help you with a Valium taper. How are you feeling after the 50% reduction? 

[Ma...]
15 minutes ago, [[p...] said:

@[Ma...],

I am terribly sorry that life got so rough for you. It does appear that you got some answers with the DNA test. Like @[Pa...], I am concerned with periodic dosing of Valium, the cns likes consistency. Of course we’ll be happy to help you with a Valium taper. How are you feeling after the 50% reduction? 

Thank you, it’s OK in the sense that I am lucky to have got help in the hospital system. I’m still in the sub-acute rehab university hospital ward so I have support (although it’s not intensive being sub-acute).

I feel a sense of dread in my chest and it sort of comes in windows and waves if that makes sense? I feel like something is “wrong” but it’s nothing like the Prozac reaction (god that was bad). When I was given the 5mg Valium, I did feel relief for about 4-6 hours I believe? The next day after the 5mg feels a bit worse, I’ve sometimes had a heart race. I had a 5mg Valium dose yesterday before work (they are slowly sending me back to work twice a week, 4 hours a day). Today I feel very uneasy and twitchy in the lip and toes (don’t know if it is still the Prozac withdrawal or the Valium).

I actually have my *same* Ashton Manual here in the hospital with me that I used when I first came onto Benzobuddies - it is a very positive book for me so I took it in when I was admitted. 

The only other thing they offer me (until I can see the psychiatrist) is a low dose of Seroquel, which is a horrid drug. If I can talk the doctor into a regular dose then a taper, what would be a wise dose to ask for?

[pi...]
12 minutes ago, [[M...] said:

Thank you, it’s OK in the sense that I am lucky to have got help in the hospital system. I’m still in the sub-acute rehab university hospital ward so I have support (although it’s not intensive being sub-acute).

I feel a sense of dread in my chest and it sort of comes in windows and waves if that makes sense? I feel like something is “wrong” but it’s nothing like the Prozac reaction (god that was bad). When I was given the 5mg Valium, I did feel relief for about 4-6 hours I believe? The next day after the 5mg feels a bit worse, I’ve sometimes had a heart race. I had a 5mg Valium dose yesterday before work (they are slowly sending me back to work twice a week, 4 hours a day). Today I feel very uneasy and twitchy in the lip and toes (don’t know if it is still the Prozac withdrawal or the Valium).

I actually have my *same* Ashton Manual here in the hospital with me that I used when I first came onto Benzobuddies - it is a very positive book for me so I took it in when I was admitted. 

The only other thing they offer me (until I can see the psychiatrist) is a low dose of Seroquel, which is a horrid drug. If I can talk the doctor into a regular dose then a taper, what would be a wise dose to ask for?

It sounds to me like you are feeling benzo withdrawal. I don’t have any experience with Prozac withdrawal so I can’t comment on it. My doctor put me on a very low dose, 5 mg, and my body didn’t like it at all so I discontinued it. 

I am not a great expert on dosing but I would likely ask for the 5mg daily and taper from that, once my body has stabilized on the dose.  

• Like 1

[Ma...]

My rough Valium dosing diary:

13th April 2mg valium 8pm 

10th May 8mg valium for massive panic attack at work (didn’t stop it but calmed me down 2 hours later)

26th May (Prozac reaction - really bad)

27th May 4mg Valium, felt a bit better at night

28th May 4mg Valium little effect - (Prozac reaction peaked- stopped Prozac)

29th May 4mg Valium in morning (relief in late afternoon)

5th June 10mg Valium at midnight (little effect very anxious due to Hypnic jerks waking me)

7th June 10mg Valium at 1:40, little effect due to Hypnic jerks at night

7th June hospitalised in day

between 7th of June to 30th June acute mental health ward - about 10mg of Valium, at night every 2 to 4 days (don’t have exact record as the nurses administered it when I couldn’t sleep).

some improvement- transferred to sub acute rehab university hospital

no Valium till Friday the 5th of July - 5mg at 9am due to panic attack. 

8/7/2024 Valium 5mg at 8am 

I felt like I relapsed a bit on the 5th of July but still nowhere near as bad as the Prozac reaction (I still could be going through Prozac withdrawal as my DNA test said I could have it in my system for up to 3 months, Prozac has been out of my system now for 1 month).

And that’s my complete diary, does that shed any light on things?

Thanks again for your help and advice 🙏 

[Ma...]
4 minutes ago, [[p...] said:

It sounds to me like you are feeling benzo withdrawal. I don’t have any experience with Prozac withdrawal so I can’t comment on it. My doctor put me on a very low dose, 5 mg, and my body didn’t like it at all so I discontinued it. 

I am not a great expert on dosing but I would likely ask for the 5mg daily and taper from that, once my body has stabilized on the dose.  

Thank you, that is the safest way to go about things too right? Without risking kindling on the Valium PRN? 

[Cr...]

Hi Matt, just wanted to say a few things since I have been really researching ssris a lot over the years. (I am currently coming off of one).

First, Prozac is like the 'Valium' of ssris. It is one of the oldest and it has a really long half-life. Most other ssris have a half-life of around 20 to 36 hours, Prozac can be from 90 to 144 (4 to 6 days). 

So Prozac is the ssri that people are most likely to cold turkey as withdrawal symptoms take awhile to show up. Other ADs make people feel off if they miss one dose making people less likely to c/t them. So Prozac is an excellent choice for slowly tapering but it also provides a dangerous illusion that it is easy to just stop taking instantly.

When we cold turkey an ssri we have been on for a long time, there is a great chance that the brain will make changes during recovery that will cause the person to have a horrible reaction to that same ssri if they try go get back on many months or years later. I am trying to find the literature and examples right now. The anxiety/panic that sent you to the ER on May 10th may have been from Prozac paws.

When you went back on Prozac May 18th (?) you may have been in that scenario where your brain was now structured to not tolerate it anymore. After 10 days you did stop it (May 28th) but with its long half-life it probably kept causing your symptoms to worsen until you reached the point where you needed to go to the psychiatric ward (June 7th).

I will look on survivingantidepressants.org again to find the info. Going back on the same ssri that you did a cold turkey with prior is generally seen as potentially risky.

While I have no doubt that Valium is definitely causing you problems as well, some of your other symptoms may be a combination of PAWS from your previous Prozac cold turkey and lingering symptoms from your recent paradoxical reaction to your 10-day usage.

Your nervous system is probably really in need of some stability due to what you have been through recently with Prozac, so I agree with the others that the prn Valium doses are probably the major contributor to your current struggles.

Luckily all these issues can be recovered from over time, but the first step right now is probably to stabilize yourself then ween off of Valium. 

• Like 2

[Al...]

Hi @[Ma...]

I'm really sorry to hear what you are going through. I've suffered two adverse reactions to Prozac, so I have an idea of what you're experiencing. In my opinion, the neurological symptoms, especially the hypnic jerks, are likely to be lingering symptoms of your adverse reaction to Prozac. I got them really bad the first time I tapered off Prozac and then reinstated it. They eventually calmed down once I reduced my dose and held steady on that dose.

• Like 1

[Ma...]
1 hour ago, [[C...] said:

Hi Matt, just wanted to say a few things since I have been really researching ssris a lot over the years. (I am currently coming off of one).

First, Prozac is like the 'Valium' of ssris. It is one of the oldest and it has a really long half-life. Most other ssris have a half-life of around 20 to 36 hours, Prozac can be from 90 to 144 (4 to 6 days). 

So Prozac is the ssri that people are most likely to cold turkey as withdrawal symptoms take awhile to show up. Other ADs make people feel off if they miss one dose making people less likely to c/t them. So Prozac is an excellent choice for slowly tapering but it also provides a dangerous illusion that it is easy to just stop taking instantly.

When we cold turkey an ssri we have been on for a long time, there is a great chance that the brain will make changes during recovery that will cause the person to have a horrible reaction to that same ssri if they try go get back on many months or years later. I am trying to find the literature and examples right now. The anxiety/panic that sent you to the ER on May 10th may have been from Prozac paws.

When you went back on Prozac May 18th (?) you may have been in that scenario where your brain was now structured to not tolerate it anymore. After 10 days you did stop it (May 28th) but with its long half-life it probably kept causing your symptoms to worsen until you reached the point where you needed to go to the psychiatric ward (June 7th).

I will look on survivingantidepressants.org again to find the info. Going back on the same ssri that you did a cold turkey with prior is generally seen as potentially risky.

While I have no doubt that Valium is definitely causing you problems as well, some of your other symptoms may be a combination of PAWS from your previous Prozac cold turkey and lingering symptoms from your recent paradoxical reaction to your 10-day usage.

Your nervous system is probably really in need of some stability due to what you have been through recently with Prozac, so I agree with the others that the prn Valium doses are probably the major contributor to your current struggles.

Luckily all these issues can be recovered from over time, but the first step right now is probably to stabilize yourself then ween off of Valium. 

Thank you, I’m definitely keen to learn more - much appreciated. I think I had PAWS but a DNA test I did explained that it builds up in my brain mega fast causing serotonin toxicity like symptoms - so I think I definitely had a bad reaction going back on too fast. Anyway I’ll hang tight for more information from you

[Ma...]
8 minutes ago, [[A...] said:

Hi @[Ma...]

I'm really sorry to hear what you are going through. I've suffered two adverse reactions to Prozac, so I have an idea of what you're experiencing. In my opinion, the neurological symptoms, especially the hypnic jerks, are likely to be lingering symptoms of your adverse reaction to Prozac. I got them really bad the first time I tapered off Prozac and then reinstated it. They eventually calmed down once I reduced my dose and held steady on that dose.

Thank you, if you don’t mind me asking, how did the adverse reactions manifest for you when reinstating, and did you reinstate at 20mg a day too?

[Al...]

In 2017 when I had my first adverse reaction, I reinstated at 40 mg a day. Three weeks later I woke up in the middle of the night with a pounding heart and dizziness. I thought I was having a heart attack and went to ER although I now know it was serotonin toxicity. Symptoms were extreme restlessness, insomnia due to the hypnic jerks, palpitations, pounding heart and lots of muscle twitching. I eventually reduced my dose to 20 mg and stabilized very gradually.

[Ma...]

That’s extremely rough, I’m so sorry you went through that - I hate Prozac. 

[Ma...]

So is asking for a 5mg daily Valium reinstatement followed by a 1mg reduction a fortnight reasonable? Or is it safer to request starting at 4mg or 3mg a day and reduce by 0.5mg or 1mg a fortnight or week? Thanks all. 

[Pa...]

I think 5 mgs would be about right since you had a couple of 10 mg days.  You can see how you feel at 5 mg and if you're too sedated, you could cut back.  Your reductions can be made when you feel you're ready, its good to have a plan but being flexible and listening to your body's cues works best. 

• Like 1

[Ma...]
21 hours ago, [[P...] said:

I think 5 mgs would be about right since you had a couple of 10 mg days.  You can see how you feel at 5 mg and if you're too sedated, you could cut back.  Your reductions can be made when you feel you're ready, its good to have a plan but being flexible and listening to your body's cues works best. 

Thank you Pamster, I’m still waiting for the doctor to see me on the ward this week but I’m in the right place for this. 

yeah I can definitely feel the anxiety creep up if I don’t have the Valium, getting my prn 5mg Valium this morning before work.

I just have a symptom question (I’ll ask in the main forum too), can having a Valium withdrawal problem cause the occasional diarrhoea and the occasional morning stomach upset (like a bit of cramping)? My stomach is usually pretty solid. Also can you get windows and waves all in one day? 

I’m actually excited about this because it will help me with my Prozac withdrawal (it’s low key but it’s there) as well by giving me a bit more time with less anxiety as the Prozac slowly leaves my system over the next 2 months (my DNA test revealed that my body will take up to 9 weeks to completely remove all fluoxetine and byproducts).

thanks again the support means so much and I feel positive about this!

[Ma...]
23 hours ago, [[P...] said:

I think 5 mgs would be about right since you had a couple of 10 mg days.  You can see how you feel at 5 mg and if you're too sedated, you could cut back.  Your reductions can be made when you feel you're ready, it’s good to have a plan but being flexible and listening to your body's cues works best. 

Well, I’m screwed. The psychiatrist has refused an Ashton taper telling me that it’s only for people on massive doses of benzos. They refused me my 5mg prn of Valium before work and I had a panic attack about it. I’m definitely addicted - if it isn’t physiological, it’s definitely psychological. I’ll just have to do my best to cope.