Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Need help

[Cr...]

Hi does anyone know if antidepressants help with w/d and sleeping thanks 

• Like 2

[Le...]

I dont think there has been any success with any drugs to treat benzo WD other than ones that have similar effects and start a new problem. 

Where are you at in recovery?

• Like 1

[Ma...]

Yes. Many people have success with medication such as Remeron for depression and to aid with sleep.

[Le...]

you will have to make your own decision and may be desperate. I dont know your circumstance but if you can manage a brisk walk every day you will benefit much more from that than another troublesome addiction that stresses an already sensitive body. I really recommend caution and take time considering any advice you get. Lots of people here feel like experts. I would really stress considering anything before more drug harms if you can do it. Lots of people regret these mistakes. 

• Like 2

[or...]

Well said, I've learned to look at the pros and cons of "extra" medications since well before I ever tried tapering off (didn't know how until BB forum) of the one 'script.  For me personally, I could not stomach the thought of something else to add to my issues.  Things said here by any of us should only be taken as opinions/suggestions.

I will keep doing my home-work, I'm guessing, the rest of my life.  I've finally learned to do that, and am doing fine without "extra" meds.  My experiences won't be like some folk's, oregonlady:hug:

[or...]

Hi Craig,

I had depression as far back as childhood.  Mine left me during my first year of tapering, and I can't recall how many months into it.  It just dawned on me I wasn't depressed anymore.  Sounds weird but it's the truth, and no other meds.  Although there are times I feel a little down (depressed), but I really think that is a natural emotion and passes quickly.  I also still have maybe a few hours, in one night, of insomnia, but mostly I sleep at least 6 hours, but that has been my routine since before I tried tapering.

Explore the pros and cons of taking more medication, as well as stories of others that have gone before us and succeeded in healing from wd sxs without getting on something else to make things "maybe" worse ;) You may be very glad you really did your home-work, oregonlady :classic_love:

[En...]
4 hours ago, [[C...] said:

I am going to say yes it helped me. I started on Prozac for anxiety and depression and I believe it has helped me with obsessive thinking. In turn it has helped me sleep and have an appetite. It has also given me motivation to get outside and walk. 

I had to start Prozac slowly. I luckily was able to take the side effects to increase the dosage slowly. I tried 3 other antidepressants and had bad reaction to them and had to stop. I then took a DNA test for pharmaceuticals and found I metabolize Prozac normally so my Dr prescribed me that. I think getting a DNA test is a very good idea because it will give you a sense of what medications will work without going through the trial and error phase of finding the right antidepressant. It also is good for the rest of your life and for any medication you will take in the future.

• Like 1

[En...]
1 hour ago, [[L...] said:

you will have to make your own decision and may be desperate. I dont know your circumstance but if you can manage a brisk walk every day you will benefit much more from that than another troublesome addiction that stresses an already sensitive body. I really recommend caution and take time considering any advice you get. Lots of people here feel like experts. I would really stress considering anything before more drug harms if you can do it. Lots of people regret these mistakes. 

Yes I agree with this you really need to watch what changes you make in this process and dont make things worse. Starting new medication can trigger more issues. Any changes made to the routine can be a disastrous decision. I know this from experience. 

I was lucky and Prozac worked well for me but I suffered much more in the process of trying to find the right antidepressant. 

• Like 3

@[Cr...], yes, based on my own experience, an antidepressant can help. I'm not sure i'd have managed without mine. I was originally prescribed it to treat my headaches, which had developed due to benzo. I started taking it about the time i began benzo tapering. I've been benzo free for 14 months and right now is about to finish tapering off antidepressant. But, guess, no antidepressant can cover benzo withdrawal  even 50%, just some symptoms partly and it's really difficult to find the one suitable exactly for you. And the tapering afterwards once again... Although, for me, it was no comparison to benzo tapering. 

• Like 3

[Cr...]
Posted (edited)

Like others have mentioned, ADs 'may' help you cope with the withdrawal process and while they won't prevent benzo withdrawal symptoms from appearing they might help depression from becoming more serious and may also reduce anxiety by a small amount.

If you decide to get on one you may want to start at a really small dose and slowly work your way up to a therapeutic amount. Depending on the AD, it could take around 2 to 6 weeks at the therapeutic dose to see results. So if you factor in startup side effects, you have to be willing to tough it out for a bit.

Whether you decide to get on an AD or go without you will still heal all the same in regards to BW.

Edited by [Cr...]
  • Like 2

[Cr...]

Thanks for the advise I really appreciate it , I'm not sure what to do do these benzos  are horrible drugs 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
[jo...]
On 01/06/2024 at 15:50, [[C...] said:

Thanks for the advise I really appreciate it , I'm not sure what to do do these benzos  are horrible drugs 

I debate taking an antidepressant to sometimes. My depression can get really bad. It's just the concern of start up effects and possibly becoming dependant etc. A tough decision to make.

[be...]
On 31/05/2024 at 16:36, [[C...] said:

you gotta be careful because you can experience overbreathing when you have more serotonin in your body while in benzo wd because your brain is very sensitive.