Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

What to eat during withdrawal

[En...]
4 minutes ago, [[C...] said:

Well close. "Yee-row" 

And yes I was someone who always pronounced it "Jie- row"

Now i am getting hungry :-[

That's the Canadian why to say it. Just like we say "eh" at the end of each sentence. I'm in the mood for a Jiro now lol.

[En...]
1 hour ago, [[C...] said:

Phonetically spell out how you pronounce "gyros". Be honest.

I'm feeling faint and lightheaded when I stand up. Is that part of withdrawal? 

[Cr...]
10 minutes ago, [[E...] said:

I'm feeling faint and lightheaded when I stand up. Is that part of withdrawal? 

Yeah. Oddly enough I had that even as a kid when i suffered anxiety. If i stood up too fast after sitting I immediately had to sit back down until the dizziness went away.

It could also be a sign of low blood sugar, dehydration, or being in love.

[jo...]

another thing Iv'e heard people say is eliminate dairy from your diet. I always thought things like yogurt and eggs were good for your gut.

[En...]
6 minutes ago, [[j...] said:

another thing Iv'e heard people say is eliminate dairy from your diet. I always thought things like yogurt and eggs were good for your gut.

I think eggs are ok but milk and cheese and ice cream are processed. I think plain unsweetened yogurt is ok.

[Cr...]
1 minute ago, [[E...] said:

I think eggs are ok but milk and cheese and ice cream are processed. I think plain unsweetened yogurt is ok.

Plain unsweetened? Maybe with a little granola and honey.

[En...]
11 minutes ago, [[C...] said:

Plain unsweetened? Maybe with a little granola and honey.

It says plain yogurt is minimally processed. The addition of fruit or flavored is sugar added and is processed. 

[Cr...]
1 minute ago, [[E...] said:

It says plain yogurt is minimally processed. The addition of fruit or flavored is sugar added and is processed. 

I know, what i meant was I tried plain unsweetened before and to me it tasted bad. Would you still consider it processed if you added natural raw honey and organic granola to it yourself?

[jo...]
Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, [[C...] said:

I know, what i meant was I tried plain unsweetened before and to me it tasted bad. Would you still consider it processed if you added natural raw honey and organic granola to it yourself?

delete

Edited by [jo...]

[jo...]
Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, [[C...] said:

i'm sold. Granola and honey sounds good. Someone's probably gonna come on here and tell me granola's neurotoxic and spoil my breakfast :LOL:

Edited by [jo...]

[En...]
12 minutes ago, [[C...] said:

I would eat that. I love granola and honey.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, [[E...] said:

I have been trying to figure out what to eat that won't flare up my symptoms. My family eats a lot of pizza pop and hot dogs and macaroni and cheese and pizza things like that. I have read that certain foods can flare up symptoms. I know I can tolerate whole wheat bread but I dont know anything else to eat.

I have been staying away from canned ready made foods like ravioli and pizza pops but that is what is in my house having kids. I am getting hungry and am afraid to flare my symptoms. My wife makes dinner and it smells good but I dont know if I can eat tomato sauce and cheese or anything I used to eat. I had some macaroni and cheese with baked beans last night and this morning I felt anxious. I am not sure if it is from the food. 

What does everyone eat? I ak curious to hear what works for everyone and what doesn't. 

I switched to the Autoimmune protocol diet.  Within 3 days I felt soooo much better.  It's a pretty strict regimen but it is super healthy.  Keeps you away from foods that trigger an inflammatory response.  I have also been diagnosed with Sjorgrens disease at the peak of my withdrawal so it was another motivator for me to make the switch.  I still don't know if the withdrawal triggered the autoimmune disease.  Probably so but hard to say.

Anyhow, check it out.  I'll probably do it for the rest of my life.  Nutrition is overlooked in medicine but I believe it is one of the most important things for our health along with community, compassion for self and others, love and support from family and friends, daily exercise, rest and sleep.  These are the key factors to fight and prevent disease.

• Like 2

[Ho...]

I tried a low oxalate diet when I was in acute. I stopped enjoying food for a long time. My husband wanted a big salad every night so in the end, that's what I ate. With bacon. I'm not crazy about salad!

Honestly most of us have some digestive difficulties. I do eat pretty healthily, less and less as time goes on. I've found that high acid foods are a bit harder for me to digest; tomato sauces, spicy foods, highly seasoned foods etc. So I go blander than I used to. Frozen pizza is pretty bland!

Canned ravioli probably doesn't have many amino acid building blocks or much else to help your body build back. I think the general thinking is, give your body something to stay strong, grow and heal with. Don't feed your body things that are empty calories. At least, not only those things! 

If you have a brain injury, there are foods a doctor will encourage you to eat to help your neurons. Fish, fresh fruit 🍎 & vegetables, whole grains. So why not try to feed yourself some of the good stuff and make it easier to heal? No one knows how this applies to benzo injuries, but common sense sort of says, eat as healthy as you can. 

And don't forget to give yourself a treat once in a while. There's enough misery without adding abstinence from old favorites to it!

Warmly,

HCHC 

[En...]
8 hours ago, [[H...] said:

I tried a low oxalate diet when I was in acute. I stopped enjoying food for a long time. My husband wanted a big salad every night so in the end, that's what I ate. With bacon. I'm not crazy about salad!

Honestly most of us have some digestive difficulties. I do eat pretty healthily, less and less as time goes on. I've found that high acid foods are a bit harder for me to digest; tomato sauces, spicy foods, highly seasoned foods etc. So I go blander than I used to. Frozen pizza is pretty bland!

Canned ravioli probably doesn't have many amino acid building blocks or much else to help your body build back. I think the general thinking is, give your body something to stay strong, grow and heal with. Don't feed your body things that are empty calories. At least, not only those things! 

If you have a brain injury, there are foods a doctor will encourage you to eat to help your neurons. Fish, fresh fruit 🍎 & vegetables, whole grains. So why not try to feed yourself some of the good stuff and make it easier to heal? No one knows how this applies to benzo injuries, but common sense sort of says, eat as healthy as you can. 

And don't forget to give yourself a treat once in a while. There's enough misery without adding abstinence from old favorites to it!

Warmly,

HCHC 

I am learning that a healthy diet is essential in healing the brain. I also don't want to become obsessed with what I eat as I will end up eating only a couple of foods associating it with my symptoms. I think I can have a couple slices of pizza or have a hamburger once in awhile as a treat. I think that is important as well. It is hard to not have food anxiety because I am trying to be as less symptomatic as possible so I can function some what at least and help my brain heal as quickly as possible. 

Eating healthy, getting enough sleep and rest, getting exercise and reducing your stress as much as possible are all important in recovery. I also believe taking the tapering process slowly and listening to your body before you proceed is also key. I also believe not to updose or reinstate your taper unless you have too. I've read enough on this site to see people suffer because they CT and had to reinstate. Maybe there is something to kindling. 

I dont want to obsess over my recovery but I have suffered enough through this process to learn how to manage it the best way as possible. 

Thank you for your thoughts.

• Like 1

[Rh...]
23 hours ago, [[E...] said:

I found this information on Canadas website:

Highly processed foods can include:

• sugary drinks
  • syrups and jams
  • chocolate and candies
  • potato chips and pretzels
  • sauces, dressings and gravies
  • ice cream and frozen desserts
  • bakery products like muffins and cakes
  • fast foods like French fries and burgers
  • frozen entrées like pasta dishes and pizzas
  • processed meats like sausages and deli meats

Our food environment is changing. Highly processed foods are readily available and people are eating more of them. Eating highly processed foods increases your intake of sodium, sugars or saturated fat. Eating too much sodium, sugars or saturated fat can increase your risk of chronic disease.

Some good examples here. 

Agreed!  Highly processed foods are so bad and even our soil now contains less nutrients than it used to.

[Le...]
On 30/05/2024 at 14:05, [[E...] said:

I have been trying to figure out what to eat that won't flare up my symptoms. My family eats a lot of pizza pop and hot dogs and macaroni and cheese and pizza things like that. I have read that certain foods can flare up symptoms. I know I can tolerate whole wheat bread but I dont know anything else to eat.

I have been staying away from canned ready made foods like ravioli and pizza pops but that is what is in my house having kids. I am getting hungry and am afraid to flare my symptoms. My wife makes dinner and it smells good but I dont know if I can eat tomato sauce and cheese or anything I used to eat. I had some macaroni and cheese with baked beans last night and this morning I felt anxious. I am not sure if it is from the food. 

What does everyone eat? I ak curious to hear what works for everyone and what doesn't. 

wow. that diet is horrifying. healthier people dont notice the effect as much but still. 

go for fresh food or lightly steamed veg as much as possible. the healthiest diets are about 80% high fiber veg. toss in some fruit and lean meat. perhaps some seafood and you are good. diversity. dont overdo anything and eat food not processed nonsense that looks computer generated or whatever.  

everyone benefits from this and people struggling with health challenges even more. almost every demand created by advertising in the western world is horrible. 

real food that comes from the natural world. yes i know we are part of the natural world but we suck.