Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

PHARMACY CHANGED FROM TEVA TO ACCORD???

[Ch...]
Posted (edited)

I opened the pill bottle and panicked.  They're all orange pills.  I have always taken teva yellow ones.  Does anyone feel any different on different brands?  Can I take it back and switch pharmacies?  I am just recently stable on .5mg after a CT and almost croaked.  So this worries me a lot.  

Edited by [Ch...]

[kn...]

I would imagine that regardless of the brand name, the main thing to consider would be the actual weight of the pill. I’ve tapered Teva diazepam for three years. I’m now micro tapering 4mg. That’s 2-2mg pills. But the pills don’t weigh 2mg. The weight of one pill as calculated from a ten pill random sample is .179mg. That’s the weight that I make my monthly 5% cut from. To put your mind at rest, try calculating the weight of your new pills in a like manner and go from there. Not sure if that makes sense to you, but it’s my best thought. Hope it helps. 

• Like 1

[Cr...]
4 hours ago, [[C...] said:

I opened the pill bottle and panicked.  They're all orange pills.  I have always taken teva yellow ones.  Does anyone feel any different on different brands?  Can I take it back and switch pharmacies?  I am just recently stable on .5mg after a CT and almost croaked.  So this worries me a lot.  

Since different drug manufacturers use different fillers in their drugs you may metabolize slightly more or less of drug compared to another manufacturer.

I don't know what the rules are where you live but here in US it is a controlled substance so you could only get another script under certain circumstances. There may even be state by state differences. I would leave a message with your doctor asking what you should do if after a couple pills you realize they don't work the same due to mfctr change.

With any luck you might not even notice a difference. Going by your first post it doesn't seem like you are tapering now but just holding your dose for awhile. In case there aren't going to be any Teva brands around your area for awhile you may want to get used to this brand and use it for when you taper. Better to have a brand change while holding than while tapering.

• Like 1

[Ch...]
1 hour ago, [[C...] said:

Better to have a brand change while holding than while tapering.

You make an excellent point there. 

Luckily I was able to travel and find my leftover teva ones - i have 42!!!  enough to get me through another month, i'm going to ask my doctor to write on the prescription (teva only) and call different pharmacies and see what is going on.  walmart is the only pharm that has done this, CVS or walgreens never did.  i just am not willing to try this other brand and risk my stability at this point, thank god i had extra and was able to go get it 

also going to see if since my insurance changed, if they dont cover teva brand 

thank you for your insight!!!

[Bu...]

Hey @[Ch...],

I could never tolerate brand changes.  I think it was the differences in the fillers, but I'm not sure.  Anyway, I just told the pharmacist that I had an allergy to the fillers in every brand except the one I was used to (Accord) and they put a note in my file.  I did still have to remind them, though, every time I had the thing filled and then check that it was the right brand before leaving the store.  There were several times that it was wrong, but as long as I hadn't left the store, they would take it back and refill it.  

I got in the habit of calling in my refill at least a week ahead so that they could order the right brand for me if they didn't have it in stock.  Walmart pharmacies always had no problem ordering the one I needed (if there wasn't a back order of course).

[Fo...]

I had I recent brand change experience as well, from Teva to Aurobindo, which was a very difficult 30 day experience. I had already been trying to Taper off .5mg Klonopin (since 2016, up to 20 per month) though too rapidly I now know and whatever tiny progress made, if any, was completely destroyed with Aurobindo. WD symptoms of various types started within 24 hours, including extreme irritability, fatigue, GI distress, and the list goes on. My psych Dr. virtually dismissed these symptoms, but was agreeable to include Teva on the script and pharmacy is aware, however now I check with pharmacy prior to refill that it’s Teva. I am in the US.