Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

First time posting here

[Jo...]

Hey guys real sorry if this isn’t the right place to post and for my writing as well it’s not great or easy to read.

so I have been taking Klonopin I got the prescription from a friend to help with my tmj issues and like magic it did! 

had no idea about side effects etc and I was only dosing as and when I felt pain in my jaw some days 0.25 some days as high as 1mg. It’s been 4 weeks now and I thought I’d better stop taking these they are addictive but for some reason I’ve cut to 0.5 and my body is in agony like worst pain I have ever felt everything aches like crazy. 

I guess what im asking is this normal and will it go away I mean I was only taking for 4 weeks and not even proper scheduled doses from a doctor although they are prescription grade meds. I know I shouldn’t have taken them I do feel really silly as now im just in pain. 

can I just stop taking them? 

@[Jo...], hi and welcome to BenzoBuddies! We're glad you've posted here!)

I'm so sorry for the pain you're living through. Yes, all kind of unpleasant up to unbearable sensations are expected during benzo withdrawal. It's quite normal and, anyway, must subside over time, although it can be pretty hard on us for a while. I think, in your case, it definitely won't take long. 

As far as i understand, you started Klonopin to get relief from pain first place and it helped, right? A sad thing is benzos don't treat anything, just cover symptoms. You really need to find a proper way to deal with your original issue. Pain tend to get much worse while benzo withdrawing but then goes back to its usual level.

As for me, you can stop klonopin straight away, if the symptoms are somehow bearable and if not, use a very short taper. Just my own thoughts. Hope other members wil join to share their opinion.

Good luck to you!)

• Like 1

[Le...]

yes you have caught this problem early and will likely not be uncomfortable too long. dont try to lay in bed and wait for the end. stay as active as possible and eat as well as you can. resist sugars and other highly inflammatory things. 

really consider kates advice. a too long taper without an easy way to scale down or accurately measure may just prolong things. 

i wish i had clued in this early. when i was close to where you are i went to a doc and he was like “ i didnt do it. its not the drugs. you developed GAD. “. being aware is great and you can do this.