Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Gut Health.

[jo...]
Just now, [[v...] said:

It's an ancient fermented tea that may have many health benefits, such as improving digestion, boosting the immune system, lowering cholesterol levels, and supporting cardiovascular health. So it isn't something you would drink to clean you out, just drink for gut health. In fact, I don't think anyone would be able to handle drinking enough of this to clean you out - you'd probably throw up first !  LOL

does it have alcohol in it?

[vo...]
1 minute ago, [[j...] said:

does it have alcohol in it?

Because its fermented as with any fermented foods/drinks, it may have trace amounts of alcohol that would only be caused by the fermenting process. The amounts are so minimal, it can't even be measured. It's considered non-alcoholic. 

• Like 1

[vo...]
32 minutes ago, [[C...] said:

If you were to eat a bowl of granola as a cereal, you would be consuming approximately 15 grams and it would be about 30% sugar. Adding two tablespoons to plain greek yogurt is a minimal amount.

[Kr...]
3 hours ago, [[C...] said:

I am sure every type of nut has been buttered by someone at this point

Guess that’s a slang sex term I don’t understand. 

[Kr...]
3 hours ago, [[v...] said:

Because its fermented as with any fermented foods/drinks, it may have trace amounts of alcohol that would only be caused by the fermenting process. The amounts are so minimal, it can't even be measured. It's considered non-alcoholic. 

It set Angela Peacock into a wave she said in one of her videos.

[Ca...]

It's high in histamine which can be tough for people in benzo withdrawal to process

• Wow 1

[PE...]
On 30/05/2024 at 18:09, [[d...] said:

Okay cool. I love meat, so i can stick to meat, vegetables & fruits right?  Remove sodas, snacks , and processed meats?

That sounds like what I'm eating atm.. veggies and good meat!

[vo...]
9 hours ago, [[C...] said:

It's high in histamine which can be tough for people in benzo withdrawal to process

And I thought it was so good for you! That may explain why I've been getting so much nasal congestion and blockage.

[Js...]

I agree with no snacking. If you do get hungry during the day, an apple, orange, or walnuts can suppress the hunger.

I find myself reading labels when I go grocery shopping much more. 

Kefir is also good if you do not like kombucha. When I was a teenager I grew my own by buying some seeds or starter online. 

• Like 1

[jo...]

So has anyone had any problems with pickled or femented foods? I'm sure a while back I was told to avoid them unless I'm misremembering. I've heared pickled cucumbers, sauerkraut etc are really good for the Gut.

[vo...]
27 minutes ago, [[J...] said:

I agree with no snacking. If you do get hungry during the day, an apple, orange, or walnuts can suppress the hunger.

I find myself reading labels when I go grocery shopping much more. 

Kefir is also good if you do not like kombucha. When I was a teenager I grew my own by buying some seeds or starter online. 

I have kefir, but I can't figure out how to mask the nasty taste!  Do you mix it with something to make it taste better?

[Cr...]
19 hours ago, [[K...] said:

Guess that’s a slang sex term I don’t understand. 

Actually I was referring to the fact that there is almond butter, walnut butter, pistachio butter, etc..

It is highly likely that almost every nut has been made into a butter by someone somewhere. But yeah I guess it did sound a little odd. 

I remember when growing up buttered noodles were a cheap but tasty meal when poor.

I think my mother was sick and asked for buttered noodles but in her tired state called them 'nootered buttles' (neutered buttholes). My sisters and I never laughed so hard. 

This thread just reminded me of that memory so I thought I would bring it up. A good mental picture for you all.

[If...]

I have also learned that benzos can slow the rate of digestion which can wreak havoc with symptoms from gut pain to dizziness.  Role of fiber not quite as easy to figure out.  But slow digestion also leads to acid reflux which makes eating 2 or 3 hours before bed problematic.  So much to think about it makes me crazy.

[Cr...]
25 minutes ago, [[I...] said:

I have also learned that benzos can slow the rate of digestion which can wreak havoc with symptoms from gut pain to dizziness.  Role of fiber not quite as easy to figure out.  But slow digestion also leads to acid reflux which makes eating 2 or 3 hours before bed problematic.  So much to think about it makes me crazy.

Hello @[If...], I see you have obviously been dealing with gut issues. Are you still on a benzo or off?

Feel free to share anything you have found to be beneficial in regards to this issue.

[If...]

I am at the end of a slow taper from .25mg xanax, prescribed after my husband passed away less than 4 months ago.  I sensed it was trouble right away and starting tapering slowly after about 4 weeks.  My gut is sensitive to begin with but I've had much more trouble than usual in the last two weeks, when I got down to 20% of my original dose.  Lots of bloating, feeling full partway through a meal and for a long time after.   My appetite is way down (not necessarily a bad thing except it generally means I don't get enough protein which is an issue at my age).  I'm trying to wait it out a bit, to continue my taper and get off this poison.  I don't eat less than 3 hours before bed and I try to have protein and fresh fruit or veg at every meal.  I don't take anything for it cause I really object to most meds.  If it gets worse, or if it doesn't clear up once my taper is complete, I will see a gastroenterologist.  My PCP says it's all anxiety and wants to add an antidepressant, to which I object 100%!