Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

How long after last dose of Xanax do withdrawl symptoms go on?

[Ro...]

Took my last Xanax dose 15 days ago and switched to Ativan and am currently tapering with Ativan. The question is will I still feel the withdrawal effects from the Xanax? How long after the last dose of Xanax am I completely free of it? Withdrawls and all. 

[Re...]

Hello @[Ro...],

Welcome to BenzoBuddies from me, too :)

I am not familiar with your story, would you maybe consider filling out your history? 

You switched to a longer acting benzodiazepine. How long you have been on Xanax?

I assume this switch to Ativan was sudden. In this case, it might last for a while, even if you are taking the correct equivalent dose. I can not tell you how long that is going to take precisely, I don't think anyone can. But I assure you that it gets better for certain!

If that switch has been recent, it would be definitely a smart choice to wait a little to stabilize and taper later. Depending on symptom severity and your functionality, a reinstatement of xanax could also make sense (that means if you are able to fulfill daily duties, chores, work, etc.). 

Take care, 

RR

How much of Xanax were you taking? And how much of Ativan are you taking now?

[Ro...]
4 hours ago, [[R...] said:

Hello @[Ro...],

Welcome to BenzoBuddies from me, too :)

I am not familiar with your story, would you maybe consider filling out your history? 

You switched to a longer acting benzodiazepine. How long you have been on Xanax?

I assume this switch to Ativan was sudden. In this case, it might last for a while, even if you are taking the correct equivalent dose. I can not tell you how long that is going to take precisely, I don't think anyone can. But I assure you that it gets better for certain!

If that switch has been recent, it would be definitely a smart choice to wait a little to stabilize and taper later. Depending on symptom severity and your functionality, a reinstatement of xanax could also make sense (that means if you are able to fulfill daily duties, chores, work, etc.). 

Take care, 

RR

Thanks, sorry for the limited info, been on Xanax since Feb 24 at .5 mg dose. Now down to .25 of Ativan. Withdrawls not so intolerable but was thinking might be residuals Xanax withdrawal symptoms. 

[Cr...]
Posted (edited)

@[Ro...]Did you directly crossover from .5 xanax to .25 ativan? If so you did a 75% cut. As .5 Xanax is roughly = to 1 mg of Ativan.

What you are feeling isn't just a residual withdrawal from Xanax due to the crossover, but a general withdrawal from a drastic dose reduction.

It has only been 15 days... so if you are really struggling you may want to ask your doctor about going to 1 mg of Ativan or even 10 mgs of Valium if that is a possibilty.

Edited by [Cr...]

[Cr...]

Also both Ativan and Xanax are very short-acting benzos. Some of your withdrawal may also be interdose withdrawal. And once that starts it usually doesn't go away until your next dose and is with you until you get off benzos or jump onto a longer acting one.

If switching to a longer acting benzo is not an option then splitting your dose up into 2 or 3 doses througout the day may remedy the interdose wd.

But first you may want to try to stablize on a dose of ativan equivalent to your Xanax.

[Ro...]
On 29/05/2024 at 10:37, [[C...] said:

@[Ro...]Did you directly crossover from .5 xanax to .25 ativan? If so you did a 75% cut. As .5 Xanax is roughly = to 1 mg of Ativan.

What you are feeling isn't just a residual withdrawal from Xanax due to the crossover, but a general withdrawal from a drastic dose reduction.

It has only been 15 days... so if you are really struggling you may want to ask your doctor about going to 1 mg of Ativan or even 10 mgs of Valium if that is a possibilty.

Sorry, I forgot to mention the Ativan taper started at .5 mg beginning of May. I don’t want to updose with 1 mg of Ativan so I have to tough it out until  stable enough for a smaller cut 

On 29/05/2024 at 10:37, [[C...] said: