Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Antibiotics

[jo...]

I read that antibiotics are a risk to people on benzos as they remove the drug from the gabba receptor and in effect CT the person taking them. Are there any dangers to people who have jumped and no longer have the drug in their system but are in withdrawl? I only ask because I may have to take one and have read stories of bad reactions. I need dental work done and there's a possibility they may give me one for infection. I'm also a little worried about the anesthsetic.

[Ma...]

Don’t use novicaine, but ask lidocaine instead.

They give antibiotics for preventative purposes. So use a salt water gargle every 20 minutes and a warm compress and you should be fine.

Just stay away from Flouroquinolenes for the rest of your life!

• Like 3

[jo...]
Posted (edited)

Thanks! Lidocainen it is. I'm in the UK hopefully they have that here.

Edited by [jo...]

[He...]

Ask for anaesthesia without epinephrine. It is not so strong like the other that’s why the dentists don’t like it but they have it because they use it for pregnant women, children. Also you don’t need an anaesthesia for everything - for example you don’t need it for dental fillings. According to antibiotic so many people have reactions to them but you must remember that it will pass. Yes, it is quite unpleasant to feel all disgusting feelings again but it is not forever and it will pass. I wish you luck!

• Like 1

[Le...]

lidocaine is all that has been used in decades and the tiny bit of ephedrine is used to constrict the blood vessels and make it last longer. it wont affect you. many people going through wd will mistake rising stress from dental work or worry about chemicals that terrify you now as a new harm.

also those damaging antibiotics are almost never used.    i would still recommend avoiding all antibiotics if possible cause they do mess with your gut health a fair bit and you likely dont need any more challenges  

it isnt totally healthy but the effect will be negligible.   

Worrying about it is very unhealthy. 

[Le...]

you can. i am almost managing it. i do it by considering what i survived. it was a pretty extreme CT but any WD will do. if you managed to endure that nothing else will ever compare.  what it takes to recover can be too much for many though. how do you do the things that make you healthy while feeling so horrible. its a slow process for everyone. i am busy all day every day now to some degree and eating healthy and getting cardio. things are repairing themselves  

• Like 1

[Li...]

@[jo...] about a month or so after I jumped I took a course of cephalexin 500mg for an infection.  My BWD symptoms suddenly became about 10 times worse  !!!

[Si...]

Same I'm 13 months off and got an left ear infection. the doctor gave me eardrops with dexamethason, fraamycetinesulfate and gramicidine. so far im doing natrual remedies and waiting it out. as I remember not take any anti-biotics. so im currently waiting it out for it to heal on its own. 

[ra...]

So true. I have (or am recovering) from a nasty upper respiratory infection. This is my second round of antibiotics to knock it out.

Everything I was prescribed, Methyprednisolone, Doxyxcycline and Flucticasone has sent some withdrawal symptoms back for me, anxiety, muscle tightness, swallowing issues. I should be done w the medicine in a day or two. I hope this wave doesn't last long, I've been holding a long time at .375 K a day for quite a bit, and was hoping to cut soon. Gabapentin is prescribed along w my taper by my behavioral health Dr. They've been pretty good (so far) with this. I have been tapering for a year and a half now.

[Cr...]

Keep in mind that while there is a chance for your symptoms to flare up, that has to weighed against the option of going untreated.

Certain infections should definitely be treated or else could lead to other more serious issues later on.

I may have got lucky, but in 2013 I had hand surgery which required a dose of midazolam(benzo) and anesthesia. I also had a wisdom tooth taken out using novacaine and then antibiotics. I did not have any adverse reactions that I can recall.

This is not to say people won't have negative reactions to the drugs used in these procedures but that we are all different. The unknown factor is scary. So use caution. If surgeries are not immediately necessary then put them off until you have more recovery time under your belt.

• Like 1