Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Help going from unstable taper to stable taper.

[Na...]

So i was using 2mg valium pills 4 times a day. It was somewhat stable but the last dose I would take a little off schedule so I could sleep through it. I was slowly cutting away at one of the doses. Was down to 7.65mg daily doing that. I was mostly stable but not completely. My doctor decided she wanted me at 6mg within the next two weeks. Something I could not handle. I had 10mg pills still so I tried to go to using those and getting the same dose but only dosing twice a day because it would be less measuring and less room for mistakes trying to measure the 10mg pills. This didn't work. It completely destabilized me. And now I'm running out of 10mg pills. I have to go back to using 2mg pills and be on 6mg somehow in the near future. I'm going to try to plead with my doctor to let me slow down, but I need suggestions on how I should go about doing this as smoothly as possible. I do have some extra 2mg pills but not many. And the fluctuations in my dosing has already destabilized me quite a bit. 

I stayed at the 7.65mg split in half at 9am and 9pm for 3 days and just kept deteriorating and having really bad interdose withdrawals to the point of having full blown akathisia start to flair up. I ended up taking a 1mg rescue dose last night at 5am and it helped and I fell asleep. I just don't know what to do from here.

[kn...]

Do you have any 2mg pills at all?  What you really need to get through this are some 5’s and 2’s. I know that may be hard to talk your provider into, but if you go from where you’re at now to 6, you’re going to be very ill, very fast. I can an ensure you because I’ve attempted the same thing at the same level. If your doctor won’t see reason, you may have to change providers. That can be a testy move to take, but my psych would not budge. He didn’t have my best interests at heart, he just wanted me ‘done’ and out of his hair.

[Na...]
Posted (edited)

@[kn...]

I have 2 5mg pills. And like I said. I have some extra 2mg pills. But not a lot. I'm think of going to dosing 2mg 3 times a day and then using the extras I have cut into very small prns to maybe help soften the fall? My next meeting with her is in 2 weeks and I have enough to at least stay above 7mg until then. I'm just already unstable from all the dosage changes and I can't updose to stabilized. I'm already looking for other options as well as far as a doctor goes. But even if I get one, idk what or when I should be dosing anymore. 

Edited by [Na...]
Clarification
  • Like 1

[kn...]

I think you’ve sussed things out properly and are headed in the right direction. Hats off. I’ve taken my daily dose straight up in the AM and been well with it for quite a bit of time now. That may be somewhat frightful for you, certainly makes the daily dosing easier. Might give it a think or two and see if it suits you as well.  Best of luck with all this. Simpler and keeping on the same has done well for me. 

[Na...]

@[kn...]

I tried dosing twice daily and I has having extremely intense interdose withdrawals. Like I said I was going into full blown akathisia by the time my next dose was coming around. I think I metabolize valium much faster than most people or something. I'd take my dose and it would almost knock me out and then I'd end up in intense increasing withdrawal about half way until my next dose. 

[Na...]

@[kn...]

How did you find another provider willing to work with you? I feel like if I start asking around, I'll just be treated like a doctor shopping drug seeker. 

[kn...]

I went through my therapist to explain the problems I was having.  She advocated on my behalf with the admin.  They in turn called me and had a phone interview.  It was a bit of nasty work, but worth it in the end. The agency I was affiliated with had several providers available.  

• Like 1

[or...]

Find a plan that you think you could stick with, here on BB.  What I did was I just started tapering, kept a little notepad, and showed it to my doc.  He could see what I was doing and I had a plan that would take me about a year.  It turned out to take me much longer, and I'm in my second year now and just over halfway through the taper. 

My doctor I think was impressed with me taking control of my taper, and could see I was doing well, so he's let me keep my 'script.  I can see your situation is different but you sound very genuine about your wish to taper, but at a rate that will allow you to remain functional, and with as much quality of life as you can get.

Lots of people here can help you figure this out.  I am not good with numbers, but others are, and can help you get a little plan for yourself, even if you can't get back up to your original dose, work with what you have, oregonlady :hug:PS Try hard not to panic, I know that desperate feeling, just stick with folks here on BB, you are not alone.

• Like 1