Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Tapering from a scale

[En...]

I have been not using a scale to taper off clonazepam. I am down to 0.25mg and I cant use the pill cutter any longer the cuts will be too large I think. I ordered scales from Amazon and am thinking of micro dosing the rest of the way down. 

Thinking of using a razor blade to cut the pills down to a specific percentage and weight seems to be a tedious task. Does the weight have to be exact? What do people do when using a scale to get their weights so they are not all over the place? Is it as tedious as I imagine? 

[Ja...]

I’ve found that say your need 2mg weighed and it’s says 35 on the scale,the tinniest of crumbs could tip it to 40

one if my dose weights weighs 31,.if it’s 30 or 32 it’s literally a micro scrape of powder,barley nothing,.I still try get it dead on but ether way is not mutch at all bud

• Like 1

[En...]
1 hour ago, [[J...] said:

I’ve found that say your need 2mg weighed and it’s says 35 on the scale,the tinniest of crumbs could tip it to 40

one if my dose weights weighs 31,.if it’s 30 or 32 it’s literally a micro scrape of powder,barley nothing,.I still try get it dead on but ether way is not mutch at all bud

I never had thought the smaller doses would hit so hard. The taper was going well until under 0.5mg. 

[kn...]

I went from 60 mgs of Diazepam to 2 in a little less than two years. Sounds great doesn’t it?  At two mgs I held for six months and never stabilized. Had to up dose back to four and have been dropping  by 5% per month since Valentine’s Day. Tapering at low doses is not for the faint of heart. You’re cutting a larger percentage each time you start hacking a pill up. Maybe make smaller cuts and wait a bit longer between?  Try it. It could help. 

[El...]

Cutting, shaving, and weighing pills is as tedious as you make up your mind it is going to be. I am micro tapering Lorazepam and I dose 3x per day. So, I have to cut and shave 3 pill fragments. It takes me about 15-20 minutes each morning. I choose to look at this time as my chance to take control of my symptoms. I am very sensitive to reductions. So for me, every minute I take getting the correct weight for each dose is probably worth at least 24-48 hours of being relatively symptom free. While every minute of rushing and getting frustrated, with little precision, is probably going to result in at least a week of fairly uncomfortable withdrawal symptoms. But that is just my take on the process. Some people are not as sensitive and are OK with being in the “ballpark” of the target weight.

• Like 1

[En...]
58 minutes ago, [[k...] said:

I went from 60 mgs of Diazepam to 2 in a little less than two years. Sounds great doesn’t it?  At two mgs I held for six months and never stabilized. Had to up dose back to four and have been dropping  by 5% per month since Valentine’s Day. Tapering at low doses is not for the faint of heart. You’re cutting a larger percentage each time you start hacking a pill up. Maybe make smaller cuts and wait a bit longer between?  Try it. It could help. 

Are you stable now? I know the same percentage is going to be less and less pill to shave with each cut from here on. I have accepted there was going to be withdrawal symptoms and have been making 25% cuts as per my Dr. The withdrawal symptoms have been manageable until this smaller dose. I had such a bad reaction but made a mistake in reduction too large. I paid for it and still am but am feeling better day by day. I feel I am lucky I didnt suffer more for longer. 

[En...]

I saw a video on YouTube with this guy who is using 2 scales as a comparison and using weights to make sure the scale was calibrated each time. He would put the pill on the scale a bunch of times until he got a consistent measurement. It looks like it is tedious but I agree to get the weight the closest you can to perfect. It's worth the withdrawal symptom intensity then to learn  the hard way. 

[En...]
14 minutes ago, [[E...] said:

I saw a video on YouTube with this guy who is using 2 scales as a comparison and using weights to make sure the scale was calibrated each time. He would put the pill on the scale a bunch of times until he got a consistent measurement. It looks like it is tedious but I agree to get the weight the closest you can to perfect. It's worth the withdrawal symptom intensity then to learn  the hard way. 

He also kept the weights on the scale while putting the pill on the scale. 

[En...]
Just now, [[E...] said:

He also kept the weights on the scale while putting the pill on the scale. 

[En...]

I found the average of 10 0.5mg clonazepam tabs to be 0.168mg. To halve this to have a consistent 0.25mg weight I divided by 2 and got 0.084mg per 0.25mg. I have been just taking a half a tab without weighing it for 2 weeks. Can I start to weigh 0.084mg from today until I stablize? The weights of the half tabs I have are all different. It is less than 0.84mg. If I start taking 0.84mg daily starting today will that screw me up? 

[En...]
Posted (edited)

I will jump at 0.030mg clonazepam.  That is about 5.5 months from now. I need to stabilize on this dosage before I taper more. 

Does that dosage sound good to jump at?

Edited by [En...]

[je...]
3 hours ago, [[E...] said:

I found the average of 10 0.5mg clonazepam tabs to be 0.168mg. To halve this to have a consistent 0.25mg weight I divided by 2 and got 0.084mg per 0.25mg. I have been just taking a half a tab without weighing it for 2 weeks. Can I start to weigh 0.084mg from today until I stablize? The weights of the half tabs I have are all different. It is less than 0.84mg. If I start taking 0.84mg daily starting today will that screw me up? 

I'm not very good with dry cutting. I used a completely different method when I did dry cutting, but that method is very complicated and my husband had to do all the maths for me. I do think it's good to use a scale going forward. You might want to ask @[El...] for her input as she knows more, she has first hand experience and she's really good with the maths. 

[je...]
1 hour ago, [[E...] said:

I will jump at 0.030mg clonazepam.  That is about 5.5 months from now. I need to stabilize on this dosage before I taper more. 

Does that dosage sound good to jump at?

That sounds good. I jumped at 0.025mg. 

But I wouldn't commit to a timeline. It took me just over 4 months to taper 0.125mg. I'm not saying that's how long it will take you, just that it's important for a taper to be flexible.

• Like 1

[En...]
14 minutes ago, [[j...] said:

I'm not very good with dry cutting. I used a completely different method when I did dry cutting, but that method is very complicated and my husband had to do all the maths for me. I do think it's good to use a scale going forward. You might want to ask @[El...] for her input as she knows more, she has first hand experience and she's really good with the maths. 

I have made all my tabs 0.84mg to keep it all consistent weights so I dont have bad days on smaller doses. I think consistency is key here at these lower doses to become stable. I think I have a plan now thanks to this website. Great resource.